Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 11, 2006, 3:50 PM   #1

Hey all...I've been in the photography game for about 4 years now...however my Fuji Finepix A101 is now TOTALLY embarassing! (however I know EVERY trick about that camera!) I'm now in the game for upgrading...and one model has me extremely interested...the Sony DSC-R1 cybershot.

I was wondering if there's any equivalents to this camera that use AA batteries...I do like the idea of having a whole slue of AA batteries (as I have about 20 pairs of 2800mAh rechargeables) and I'd LOVE to have digi that performed that well...but by using AAs...

However, not only that, but I've been trying to make a move towards night photography...as it's been interesting me...(you cant do ANYTHING serious with a A101 when it comes to night photography!)

Justa call for assistance, opinions, thoughts...if anyone has been doing night photography which has really caught their eye or vise-versa.

It's safe to say, I believe i'll be in the range from about $300-$500 for the camera...and at least 4MP, however I'd love a 8MP that would perform, but I think it may be a squeeze for my range

To answer some (maybe) arising questions:

1) yes I will be doing photography with this camera...e.g Floral, Night and portraits.

2) I love cameras which are extremely fast turning on...2-3 seconds would be absolutley PREMIUM!

3) Small and compact really isnt my thing...I LOVE the look of the DSC-R1, and I'd love a camera to be like that...just not slim like these pocket 5mp cameras that are out...I dont mind a medium-sized camera at all!

4) I do have experience with photography...So a bulb setting would be absolutley PERFECT, I've been dreaming about making my own bulb photos...e.g traffic photos, star photos etc.

5) I'm extrememly provisional with Adobe Photoshop and the like...I've been doing it sinse PS version 5 and have become extremely adapted to it...I can change the photo whichever way I'd like too...however theres just sooo much photoshop can try to make "look better"

6) I'm ALWAYS on the go...taking pictures is my thing, I will always have my camera on me...on hikes, family picnics, or even with my sons playing a baseball game.

If anyone is willing to help me out, I would be forever grateful!
phrozen755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2006, 4:11 PM   #2

sounds like you're really in the market for a DSLR. i just got my pentax *ist DL in the mail yesterday, after 200 or so shots i'm in love! (previously had a panasonic fz30 if you're wondering). the pentax takes excellent low light shots, from what i've done so far.

you can search for pricing on www.cnet.com, the camera has a $100 mail in rebate which makes it under $400 for a final price. cheap used lenses can be found online too, on ebay or a good place is www.keh.com. hope this helps! (p.s. the next cheapest dslr is probably the nikon d50, and will run several hundred dollars more, with the same image sensor and overall similar specs)
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 4:12 PM   #3

sounds like you're really in the market for a DSLR. i just got my pentax *ist DL in the mail yesterday, after 200 or so shots i'm in love! (previously had a panasonic fz30 if you're wondering). the pentax takes excellent low light shots, from what i've done so far.

you can search for pricing on http://www.cnet.com, the camera has a $100 mail in rebate which makes it under $400 for a final price. cheap used lenses can be found online too, on ebay or a good place is http://www.keh.com. hope this helps! (p.s. the next cheapest dslr is probably the nikon d50, and will run several hundred dollars more, with the same image sensor and overall similar specs)

edit: sorry about the double post! to answer a few of your questions, the pentax is great in low light, and startup time is under 2 seconds, it has interchangeable lenses and is about the same size as the R1.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:07 AM   #4

From the features you request, it sounds like you want a DSLR, and a Pentax DSLR is what I would suggest.

To answer your questions:

1. DSLRs can take different lenses, good for different kinds of photography, but that can get expensive... though the Pentax works quite well with old manual focus lenses that can be bought pretty cheaply.

2. The *ist DL(also check out the DS/DS2 or D) starts up in about 1 second, and once its on after a couple of minutes, if you dont use it, it goes into sleep mode which you can wake it up from almost instantly(I just leave mine on most of the time except when I'm not going to be taking pics for a while).

3. The *ist DL is really small and compact.... for a DSLR, but I'm guessing it would be similar in size to the R1(not really sure though). Its pretty good sized compared to the little pocket cams.

4. Bulb setting is common on DSLRs, the DL has it, as do most others I think.

5. Images from DSLRs are supposed to respond well to Photoshopping. If you like photoshop, DSLRs give you better files to play with.

6. As long as you dont mind it being medium sized(which you dont) the DL can be taken anywhere, and its very responsive, always ready to take a picture(although autofocus balks in low light).

It also uses AA batteries(which Nikon and Canon DSLRs do not, one big reason I recommend the DL), is very good for long exposures and high ISO shots, and I got mine just recently for under $400 with the $100 rebate they have on it right now.... though if you didnt mind paying a bit more the K100D will be out soon and that has in-body antishake.

8. I cant think of anything more right now, but if you have any other questions I might be able to come up with an answer. If you want to see some of the shots I got with it go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/selrahcharles and my most recent uploads are taken with the DL.
SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:16 AM   #5
Super Moderator

What is this weird obsession that so many people seem to have with AA batteries?!
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:58 AM   #6

wow SelrahCharleS, thanks for that post! I'll DEFINATLEY be checking out your flikr photos!

and peripatetic, its just that they're so easy to get, any store has them if your rechargeables go...however I have about 20 pairs of 2800mAh AAs...like I said, I'd love to use them with my next camera

I'll be checking out the pentax tonight for sure, thanks all for the help!
phrozen755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:53 AM   #7

phrozen-

Reading between the lines a bit there seems to be a need for perhaps two cameras. The night shots and those hiking and family events could be handled by a small pocket camera such as the Fuji F-30, which can use ISO settings up to 3200, and a more serious camera such as the suggested Pentax DL. The F-30 is a very capable camera indeed.

A good many DSLR users carry the DSLR and a pocket or companion camera combination.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:03 AM   #8

The fact that I can get them at any gas station nearby... and when I buy a new camera, I dont have to buya couple of extra$60 dollar camcorder batteries that dont work with my old camera.

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
What is this weird obsession that so many people seem to have with AA batteries?!
SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:24 AM   #9

SelrahCharleS wrote:
Quote:
The fact that I can get them at any gas station nearby... and when I buy a new camera, I dont have to buya couple of extra$60 dollar camcorder batteries that dont work with my old camera.

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I bought two extra rechargeable batteries for my KM7D at Circuit City for 10.99 each and they were Maxell brand. I can also buy cheaper off brand for under 10 dollars on the internet. You don't have to spend 60 dollars for a battery.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 3:40 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
The fact that I can get them at any gas station nearby... and when I buy a new camera, I dont have to buy a couple of extra $60 dollar camcorder batteries that dont work with my old camera.
Well perhaps so, but forget about using normal alkaline batteries because that's a REALLY expensive way to provide (not very much) power.

The proprietary lithium batteries hold their charge for months, and the AA NiMh I am forced to use for my flashgun seem to lose about 10% of their charge per day.

I didn't need my spare battery (for the 20D) for 2 months and hadn't recharged it so I was a bit worried when I noticed my usual battery was running low. I needn't have been; I got 250 shots and the battery was still on half charge after not having recharged for 2 months.

I usually get around 500 shots on a freshly charged battery, so the amount of charge lost in that 2 month period must have been pretty negligible.

By contrast the ones for my flash are unusable after a week.

How many shots do you folks get from a fresh set of AA in the Pentax? I bet it's not 500.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote