Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 12, 2006, 3:19 AM   #1

Hi All,

I am new to the forums and new to photography. I have been obsessing between a Sony DSC-T30 and DSC-N1. Finally I decided to give up the 8 megapx and the touch screen for the image stabilization in the T30. And then someone said -- why don't you get a Leica D Lux 2 Digital Camera. It has everything you want except the touch screen and is a great camera. What to do??

Size and weight do matter to me but it looks like the Leica osn't that much bigger or heavier. Is it an appropriate camera for someone who isn't an expert? Any thoughts and direction any of you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help - I'm almost there :?

Mara
MMB916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:29 AM   #2

MMB-

I believe that I read that that camera is produced by Panasonic and it is a rebadged Panasonic camera. You might save a buck or two find out more and selecting the Panasonic twin.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:53 AM   #3
Administrator

Now, that's going from one extreme to the other (T30 to Leica Digilux 2).

The Leica (and the Panasonic equivalent) were released in Spring 2004. In digital technology terms, over 2 years is a long time.

Steve reviewed the Pansonic model. It's identical except for cosmetics and included software (and it's less expensive). Here is the link to the review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/lc1.html

But, even the Panasonic DMC-LC1 model is pricey for a camera with a 2/3" sensor (much smaller than any of the DSLR models around). It would have better performance from a noise perspective compared to many non-DSLR models though (and it's got a relatively bright f/2-2.4 lens on it).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/lc1.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:36 PM   #4

Thanks so much to both of you. Now I see after some investigation that it really is a jump from one extreme to the other - when it was suggested to me I thought - have to check it out.

Thanks for the perspective and the links. It seems to me that the Sony choices are better options for me. I will keep you posted :G

This is a great forum!!

Best regards,
Mara
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:48 PM   #5
Administrator

I'm not personally a big fan of the T series Sony models. As a general rule, the smaller the camera, the more compromises a manufacturer needs to make.

I'd probably start out from scratch versus trying to decide between an ultracompact pocket model and a larger model, and try to find something that fits your needs the best.

In other words, let users know how you'll be using a camera, what conditions you'll use it in, and what your desired budget is.

Then, try to come up with a "short list" from there.

A good starting point might be the Best Cameras List, where Steve keeps some models that are deemed to be a good value within a given market niche. That doesn't mean that a lot of other cameras wouldn't work fine, too. It's just a list of some cameras that were good enough within their market niche to be considered a better value than most.

Any camera choice is a compromise (size, weight, features, flash range, autofocus speed and reliability, ability to use add-on lenses and accessories, image quality indoors and outdoors, etc.). So, the idea is to find something that is a better "fit" for how you'll be using a camera, in the conditions you'll use one in more often. ;-)

Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:57 PM   #6

Thanks so much, Jim. Those thoughts will help to guide my thinking.

FYI to all - the Leica camera I was referring to was the D-Lux 2, which is their compact camera (point & shoot). The two links included in the previous post are for their larger versions.

Again, this forum is like being a kid in a candy store - just great :G
:G
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:17 PM   #7
Administrator

My mistake. Now, that's confusing naming (one Leica model with the name of D-LUX2, and another Leica model with the name of Digilux 2). :-)

Basically, the Leica D-Lux2 is the same camera as the Panasonic DMC-LX1 except for cosmetics. Steve has a review of the Panasonic branded version of it here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/lx1.html

Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:22 PM   #8

I completely agree, Jim. About the names of the cameras. When I was searching for information it was like going in circles - until you realize the names/features - I thought I was "losing it" :O

Thanks for the link - I will review the details.

Best regards,
Mara