Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:22 AM   #1

I previously owned a 30D with a few lenses, but they were all stolen. I'm just now getting back into the game, and I purchased the digital rebel XT (8MP) kit w/ Canon 18-55 lens a few months back.

I'm to the point where I need more macro and telephoto capabilities than the current setup provides. I've used Tamron lenses in the past and always been happy, and I can get what I need now for around $300-$400.

However, I've also been looking at the Powershot S2. It seems like a great deal, you get the wonderful macro abilities, the telephoto, the swivel-LCD, and the IS to boot, all for under $400. I could sell my digital rebel and pick up an S2 and have some change to spare.

However, I'm worried that I won't be happy enough with the S2 after using the digital rebel (and previously the 30d) for so long. I've read some bad things about the viewfinders and the AF not working well all the time. I've played with the S2 in-store, but I'm still hesitant to downgrade my setup. The difference in resolution will not be a problem for me, as I usually don't print anything larger than an 8x10.

I shoot landscapes and a little macro, and I want to get into doing more portraits. I shoot a lot at night so the swivel screen on the S2 is enticing (rather than having to get down on my knees and squint through the viewfinder on the rebel).

I'd like to get the opinions of some of you who have used the S2, or ideally, who have used both the S2 and the rebel, to get a feel for what differences I'm going to see if I decide to downgrade.
njovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:59 AM   #2

njovin-

This is just a personal opinion, and it may not be applicable. However, I am one of those folks using both the Canon 350D/XT and the Canon S-2. Over time I have found that I use my S-2 primarily for its macro and video clip capability. Its photo quality is not enough to really replace the sharpness and pop of the XT photos.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:48 PM   #3

MtClimber - That is EXACTLY the opinion I was looking for. I would have been absolutely crushed had I sold off my Rebel and realized that the S2 photos were inferior.

For now, I will stick with the Rebel and pick up a few new lenses. You ARE the man. Thanks a bunch.

While I've got your ear, do you have any recommendations as far as good, inexpensive (if there is such a thing) macro lenses for the Rebel? I'm planning on picking up a Tamron 70-300 as my go-to lens for most shooting, which has 2:1 macro capability, but I have a feeling it's not going to be my macro lens of choice. Any recommendations?
njovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:08 PM   #4

njovein-

As I posted, I use the S-2 for macros, because I have not found a Canon Macro lens that I really like very much. BTW, I am a woman, not a man.

MT
Old Jul 12, 2006, 3:40 PM   #5

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
njovein-

As I posted, I use the S-2 for macros, because I have not found a Canon Macro lens that I really like very much.

MT
MT - I don't shoot macro, but just curious if you've tried any of the Sigma macro lenses for the Canon. They seem to have a very strong and loyal following.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 4:09 PM   #6

John-

I am sure they are good. I just have the Canon S-2 in inventory and it is a very good macro camera. Perhaps I am just being lazy and feeling guilty about my already large inventory of lenses.

MT
Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:41 PM   #7

John-

Here is what I am writing about. This is an existing lightmacro done with my Fuji F-30. Notice the overall sharpness. If I can do macros like that I don't need another lens. What do you think?

MT
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:31 AM   #8

Now you have me confused :?

Is it the S2 you use for macros or the f30 or do you use both for macro? Seems like an awful lot of cameras to be switching back and forth between :-)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:55 AM   #9

John-

I apologize for the confusion. I use BOTH the S-2 and the Fuji F-30 for macro shots. As a professional Digital Camera Instructor, I have many digital cameras.

MT
Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:39 PM   #10

Just out of curiousity... how many?
SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote