Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:05 PM   #1

Ok so I'm having some trouble and was hoping I'd find someone that knows something about these specific digital cameras and can help me come to a conclusion.

I've narrowed it down a bit but have some questions that need to be answered before I can shell out the cash. Here are the current cameras I'm looking at:

Canon Powershot S2 IS
Canon Powershot S3 IS
Canon Rebel XT

Now the S2 and S3 are basically the same thing with some minor differences from what I've read. Both are easy to take with you where ever you go and allow for very good quality p & s pics. The difference that confuses me and poses a question is that the S2 supports up to ISO 400 and the S3 supports up to ISO 800. Is the difference minimal and not worth the price to upgrade to the S3 over the S2? Thats really the only new feature I've noticed other than the higher mega pixels and bigger screen which I don't really care much about.

Now comes the Rebel XT. This is a different monster altogether. Its not a can carry everywhere kinda camera due to all its accessories and setup times. Also costs $200-300 more and thats not including the numerous extra lenses I could get if I wanted to. It also tends to draw attention to the person photographing with it. While I'm not big on the idea of lugging camera equipment around or drawing attention to myself (could get used to it I'd imagine) I do however love the amount of control the user has over this camera and also its high quality photos.

So what should I do? Go for 1 of the p & s cameras which are excellent cameras and much cheaper or go with the Rebel XT so I can get some beautiful photos? Theres times when I could see both types of cameras coming in very handy but by no means could I ever afford both. I'm just worried that I'm gonna kick myself for spending so much money on the Rebel XT but at the same time I'm worried that I'll kick myself for not getting a camera that really gives me full control and high qaulity photos.

I plan to use the camera for taking photos during family get togethers and some of friends but also plan to take a lot of wildlife/cityscape/scenic and B&W photos.

Sorry if you guys and gals have read bascially the same "what camera should I buy" thread 50 times. I read through most of the ones that are already posted but none of them pushed me towards a solid conclusion.

connors88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:24 PM   #2

lol, I think your question has to be answered by you and you alone

But, I'll give you my experience with camera's briefly...I have an S2 IS and have accesss to a 20D, E300, and E330. I have taken my S2 IS to many outings, soccer events, seaworld, etc. It was easy enough to carry around in hand or in a backpack.

I could not see myself walking around with a dSLR like the 20D or E330. Though, I did take it to a soccer game (it's pretty easy to stand around taking pics)

The question you need to ask yourself is, "Where do you plan to take the camera?" The S2/S3 is much more convenient and easier to carry around.

Sure, you'll get better pictures with the XT, but there will be pics you'll get with the S2/S3 that you won't with the XT because you decided not to take it...

No matter your choice, when you finally do purchase and kick yourself for the reasons you mentioned...don't kick too hard :lol:
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 2:38 PM   #3

swgod98 pretty well summed it up. There isn't a single technical area where the S2 will produce better photographs than the XT. Of the types of photography you mentioned, the S2 or S3 will do decent in all but the wildlife. It can do fair in that regard but that's where the XT and better lenses can really leave the S2 or S3 in the dust.

But - a camera is only a good tool if you have it with you. I've gotten used to taking my 20D everywhere I want to take photos but that is me. If you prefer more mobility a DSLR is not for you.

Also, I can't stress too much that the initial cost of the XT is only a drop in the bucket. You'll eventually need/want more lenses, flashes, camera bags etc. At last check I think I have lenses in the neighborhood of $5000 as compared to my camera that's (now) worth $1100 - then there's the flash, tripod, head, monopod, 2 bags, etc. etc. etc. Now, not saying you need to spend $5000 on lenses but I warn you - DSLR photography is addictive and the line between need and want constantly blurs when it comes to gear- just a fair warning
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:31 AM   #4

Kinda funny cause I decided to contact a friend who I don't get to see anymore since we both moved to different states a couple of years ago. He's always been big into digital cameras and video cameras and used to own a nice camera in the powershot series. I was gonna ask him how happy he was with it but turns out that he handed it down to his parents almost a year ago and had purchased the Rebel XT. He gave me the low down on the XT and accessories and that was enough to convince me to go the dSLR route.

Thanks for the help:bye:
connors88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:34 AM   #5

Enjoy your new toy!!!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote