Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:00 PM   #11

For months I've been researching dSLR's and pretty much knew I'd buy a Pentax. But it was all via internet and lurking these forums/boards.

So, I finally went to Circuit City as they are the only store in our area that carries all three camera makes. It seemed that I should at least see and hold the DL before making the purchase. After comparing side-by-side w/ Canon/Nikon, I LOVED the size of the DL. In addition to the kit lens, there was a 50-200mm that I tried out in the store. Plus it had a Flash Unit mounted (not sure if I need this as part of my initial purchase??? Any opinions ?????)

The sales girl explained the price in-store was $599 less rebate. WebOnly price is much less, but when I make my purchase online, I can choose store pick-up. Bummer since the store is 60 miles round-trip.

After fiddling with the DL, I realized that I'm so used to digital P&S, that it was obvious we'll have a learning curve. But I'm excited that we'll have this new camera soon and am researching future add'l lens purchases ALREADY!!!!

cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:19 PM   #12

That's great, but why don't you just purchase it from a reputable online vendor and have them ship it to you? Then you can use the $$ you save for lenses and other accessories. JM2C.

Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 2:39 PM   #13

None the less there will indeed be folks, for whom IS is an essential feature, who will wait for the introduction of the Pentax K100D.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 4:03 PM   #14

I would love to get the K100D. But when I call Pentax C/S, they can't tell me when it will be available/released.

It sounds like either one won't disappoint.Comes down to availability and we need the camera and essentialsin our hands before mid-August. I'll sit tight a little longer for the camera. In the meantime I'll gather-up the accessories/lenses.

The members (along w/ their perspectives and opinions)of this forum are so helpful. My list of "wants" is growing fast. Yikes!

cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:53 PM   #15

cameanee wrote:
Quote:
For months I've been researching dSLR's and pretty much knew I'd buy a Pentax. But it was all via internet and lurking these forums/boards.

So, I finally went to Circuit City as they are the only store in our area that carries all three camera makes. It seemed that I should at least see and hold the DL before making the purchase. After comparing side-by-side w/ Canon/Nikon, I LOVED the size of the DL. In addition to the kit lens, there was a 50-200mm that I tried out in the store. Plus it had a Flash Unit mounted (not sure if I need this as part of my initial purchase??? Any opinions ?????)

The sales girl explained the price in-store was $599 less rebate. WebOnly price is much less, but when I make my purchase online, I can choose store pick-up. Bummer since the store is 60 miles round-trip.

After fiddling with the DL, I realized that I'm so used to digital P&S, that it was obvious we'll have a learning curve. But I'm excited that we'll have this new camera soon and am researching future add'l lens purchases ALREADY!!!!
Quote:
Because of the 14 day price matching policy, you can get them to match their own web prices. In fact I have heard of cases where people have bought an item in the store, and then they found the CC web price was lower later on. The matched the price plus 10% of the difference or something like that.Did you ask them to match it?
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:30 PM   #16

The Pentax DL is less than your $599 in store price when you look at their website and check the price on the web. That extra savings can be used against the sales tax you will have to pay in California.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 8:34 AM   #17

if you haven't bought it at circuit city yet, i'll make it real easy. order it online for the $527 - use this 10% off a purchase of $199 or more coupon they have which expires 07/22

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/gener...keycode=245562

now its as cheap as the online retailers, and you can have it in your hand tonight, enjoy! (after all, what is a 60 mile drive for a brand new pentax dslr in your hand?!)
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 9:08 AM   #18

milrodpxpx wrote:
Quote:
if you haven't bought it at circuit city yet, i'll make it real easy. order it online for the $527 - use this 10% off a purchase of $199 or more coupon they have which expires 07/22

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/gener...keycode=245562

now its as cheap as the online retailers, and you can have it in your hand tonight, enjoy! (after all, what is a 60 mile drive for a brand new pentax dslr in your hand?!)
Quote:
I tell you... there are some amazing deals out there right now in the DSLR market. Just incredible!!!
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:56 AM   #19

i woul've went for that deal at circuit city, but they were a day late and a buck short (well, a week late) - i got mine through beach camera when it was $367 after rebate - almost got a second body at willoughbys when it was $210 (they had it super low by mistake last monday!) i'm so satisfied with this camera, its great so far. also picked up a tamron 80-210 zoom for $43 on keh, and waiting for a pentax 28-80 from cameta auctions - a few cheapies to tide over the LBA that is growing in me! ( i really want the pentax 10-17 or sigma 10-20, but can't justify the cost just yet!)
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 4:40 PM   #20

I spoke with my local camera store here in Canada, and was toldthey expect the shipment of k100d's from Pentax next week between the 24-28th. I assume the States will be recieving them approximately the same time. Hope this helps.

-Adam
ataller is offline   Reply With Quote