Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 19, 2006, 8:03 PM   #21

ataller-

Probably not. The Pentax K100D is scheduled for release in Canada, before it comes to the USA.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 1:25 AM   #22

I was planning to purchase an ultrazoom point-and-shoot camera, but somehow I found myself reading various threads on digital SLRs and now I'm curious about them as well. From what I read dSLRs seem to provide better performance, less noise, and better image quality than P&S (e.g., Panasonic FZx's, Canon S2/3IS, Sony H2/5, FujiFilm S9000). When I view images online, I don't notice much difference in image quality between dSLRs and the P&S cameras. (I reckon I haven't developed an "eye" to notice yet.)

Now, I'm considering a dSLR, the Pentax with zoom lens that mtclimber has been recommending. My goal is to learn about photography, and I'm primarily interest in taking portraits and nature (including the ubiquitous phases of the moon shots) and sports photos. I have a little experience with a cheap manual SLR (Sears-branded Ricoh from the early-mid-80s). I'll be taking the yet-to-be-bought camera on camping and bike trips, as well as walkabouts the city. Arguments I've heard *against* dSLRs are the cost factor and lugging-different-lenses.

So, now I'm torn between getting an ultrazoom--either Sony H2, the new Fuji S6500, or Panasonic FZ7--or giving up the extra $$$ for a dSLR, specifically the Pentax that mtclimber has recommended. Given all the info above, should I get the Pentax or stick with the ultrazoom P&S? Is dSLR image quality worth the extra $$$? Or is this a decision I'll need to make on my own? :-)

Thanks!
jmd18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:14 AM   #23

jmd18 wrote:
Quote:
I was planning to purchase an ultrazoom point-and-shoot camera, but somehow I found myself reading various threads on digital SLRs and now I'm curious about them as well. From what I read dSLRs seem to provide better performance, less noise, and better image quality than P&S (e.g., Panasonic FZx's, Canon S2/3IS, Sony H2/5, FujiFilm S9000). When I view images online, I don't notice much difference in image quality between dSLRs and the P&S cameras. (I reckon I haven't developed an "eye" to notice yet.)

Now, I'm considering a dSLR, the Pentax with zoom lens that mtclimber has been recommending. My goal is to learn about photography, and I'm primarily interest in taking portraits and nature (including the ubiquitous phases of the moon shots) and sports photos. I have a little experience with a cheap manual SLR (Sears-branded Ricoh from the early-mid-80s). I'll be taking the yet-to-be-bought camera on camping and bike trips, as well as walkabouts the city. Arguments I've heard *against* dSLRs are the cost factor and lugging-different-lenses.

So, now I'm torn between getting an ultrazoom--either Sony H2, the new Fuji S6500, or Panasonic FZ7--or giving up the extra $$$ for a dSLR, specifically the Pentax that mtclimber has recommended. Given all the info above, should I get the Pentax or stick with the ultrazoom P&S? Is dSLR image quality worth the extra $$$? Or is this a decision I'll need to make on my own? :-)

Thanks!
You sound just like me. I, too, was lookingat the Sony H2/H5 and then read about the incredible deals being offered on the Pentax *ist DL.Then began the agony of trying to make a decision. I finally ordered the Pentax yesterday even though there will be many times I'll miss the convience of the P&S.

Like you,I've seenbeautiful photos taken with P&S cameras. IMO. it's because the people posting those photos don't simply "point and shoot." They adjust the settings to get the very best possible image from the camera. So, I decided that if I need to learn how to adjust all these settings anyway, I might as well learn with the Pentax as I could get it for less than the price of the Sony H5 (well, less than the price of the H5 until I start buying add'l lenses.) Time will tell if I made the right decision.

And, yes, it's a decision you eventually have to make on your own :?. I'll be interested in what you decide. Good luck!

techaide2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:42 AM   #24

Like i said before, i had the fz30 for 8 months - it was great for learning (sounds like you even have some experience), but the images simply don't match what a dslr offers you in quality. very useable iso1600, and even 3200 in some situations, should be a huge determining factor. I couldn't use iso200 on the fz30. fortunately, the digital learning curve can be quite quick (at least initially!) with a digital camera, because you instant results to critique.

unless you're in dire need to shoot lots of short video clips, get the dslr. if you want a zoom occasionally, you can pick up an 80-210 or 100-300 on www.keh.com for $30-60. with the 18-55 kit lens on the pentax, you're also getting a nice wide angle, which is great for indoors shooting. you can also pick up a 50mm prime f1.4 or f1.7 lens for portrait work, since you know you'll be doing that kind of thing. with the pentax system, you can use old manual lenses dating back to the 60s! finding old, good lenses on ebay or the local pawn shop is a breeze and really expands your options.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:35 AM   #25

jmd18 - I know what you mean about lugging equipment around being a disadvantage. I useda Pentax ME (great camera - took lovely pictures for 20 years) and got tired of always having the wrong lens on the camera for the situation. And dragging along all that equipment in the car (when I hiked, I decided which lens I was going to use and then stuck to that - I always wanted the one I didn't have, it seemed like).

So several years ago I got a Sony F717 and happily used that, thinking that top of the line point-n-shoot was the way to go. I was happy to be out of the SLR stream. However, the Sony developed problems and I replaced it with an FZ30 - very disappointed. It was not better than the Sony and it turned out I wasn't willing to compromise quality that far.

So I reluctantly bought a Pentax DS with the kit lens, and dragged out all of my old Pentax equipment. I had been too sentimental to try to sell any of it (and this from someone who swore they would never go back to SLR equipment??!).

It was SO much fun playing with all my old equipment! I had forgotten how muchpure FUN it is to play with different lenses, try different things. Carrying the camera with a couple of lenses isn't all that much more than the FZ30 - I'm using the same bag I bought for the Panny. I carry the camera with me day-hiking all the time, though I limit myself to 2 light lenses (a 24mm lens bought 20 years ago and a new light 100mm macro lens that replaces an old, heavy macro zoom). The extra weight isn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be, and the results are SO much better than the FZ30.

The right answer is different for every individual. The person who bought my FZ30 loves it and is very happy with the quality it provides. If you will be happy with the quality of pictures the P&S cameras take, then by all means, get one, because they are easier to use (less to think about), don't weigh quite as much (though the FZ30 wasn't much lighter than the Pentax *ist cameras), and have the option of video (which I never used). It isn't that they are bad cameras - it's just that dSLR cameras have better quality. And yes, I'm eating my words about never wanting to go back to the SLR world.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:44 AM   #26

Thanks for the quick responses!

Since I'm not really interested in shooting video, I have another reason to consider dSLR. And, as techaide2 said, if I'm going to learn, I might as well learn with an SLR. It looks like I'll be making a(nother) trip to the camera store.

By the way, are there any other relatively inexpensive, good dSLRS that I should check out?
jmd18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 12:51 PM   #27

Cameras to look at on your camera store visit:

Pentax DL

Nikon D-50

Olympus E-500

Canon 350D/XT

KM 5D (I don't think you will find one, the inventory is too low)

Keep in mind that all consumer DSLR camera will produce better quality photos than any P&S camera, will offer more general utility (due to their interchangeable lenses) and much better high ISO shooting due to their much larger imagers and high available ISO speeds. Clearly, the Pentax DL with it current $100 rabate is the low price champ.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 2:42 PM   #28

jmd18 wrote:
Quote:

Thanks!

I was in the same boat as you. I was always reading about how superior the DSLR cameras are in comparison to P&S. I was a P&S guy all the way and have bought and sold many different models in the past several years. My latest P&S's are both Panasonics - FZ7 & FX-01. I love them both, especially the ultracompact wide angle on the FX-01. Then I read about the rebate w/ the Pentax *ist DL and Mtclimber's recommendations (and Mtclimber has been teaching digital photography for years, so I highly respect her depth of knowledge and opinions). So I took the plunge and have had my new DSLR for several days now. I also purchased the 18-55mm lens as part of the kit , a Pentax 50-200mm, and a Tamron AF 90mm f2.8 1:1 Macro. I've taken a few shots and it is fun to use, although like yourself, I cannot say at this point that the images are much better than the ones I shot with my other two P&S Panny's. BUT, I am a newbie and I have lots to learn about how to shoot great images w/ the Pentax DL, so for now I am hanging in there. If I decide in the future that it is too complicated and inconvenient to lug lenses around, I can always sell the equipment on eBay and check out Panasonic's (or Canon's) new 12x UZ and ultracompacts. For now, I am keeping my Pentax DL AND the Panasonic FX-01 as a pocket camera. All the best!

Justinian
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote