Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:03 PM   #1

This will be our first digital camera and of course, I want to pick the best one for our needs. My use will be family, parties and some fun landscape/scenic shooting (both auto/manual shooting). My husband will use this for work and will need zoom (but not all manual - holding any camera will be all new to him, so learning manual will have to come later).

I'd like it to be Pentax (have a Pentax SLR 35mm that I love, along with many filmP&S ) and just feel comfortable with the brand I've been loyal to.

Should we bypass the kit lens? Is it worth picking-up for the price?

Also, any other lens suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:26 PM   #2

cameanne-

The Pentax DL DSLR camera with the current $100 rebate is an excellent deal. I would suggest that you do get the kit lens and then add the Pentax 50-200mm lens to it. Together, you will have a great combo at a minimal cost.

Here is a shot done in Russia last summer with my Pentax DS and that Pentax 50-200mm lens.

MT

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:40 PM   #3

It depends on how much you are willing to spend... The DL with the $100 rebate is a great deal, but the K100D has the shake reduction and a few more features. As for the kit lens, its not great, but I still think its a good deal.
SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 6:25 PM   #4

SelrahCharleS wrote:
Quote:
It depends on how much you are willing to spend... The DL with the $100 rebate is a great deal, but the K100D has the shake reduction and a few more features. As for the kit lens, its not great, but I still think its a good deal.

I figure we'll need $1000(us) by the time we pay for the camera, memory, (1) add'l lens and any other suprises.

Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:14 PM   #5

Since you already have a 35mm Pentax, getting the kit lens depends on what lenses you already have. As kit lenses go, its pretty good and a very good deal for the money. If you already have a lens that you love and it covers the same range, then don't bother. If you don't then it is definitely worth it - it's quality is better than you would expect for the price.

I personally leave the kit lens at home for everyday walking around. I keep the DA 50-200 on the camera most of the time and carry a 24mm 2.8 lens for wide angle - it's lighter than the kit lens. That works for me because I don't take many wide-angle shots much.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:21 PM   #6

The kit lens from the ZX7 is a SMC Pentax-FA 1:3.5-5.6 28-80mm.

I understand it will work, but not with the best results. So I am checking into these lenses in addition to the *ist/K100d dSLR kit lens:

50-200mm

28-105mm

Wecan onlypick-up one additional lens right now, unless $200-300 will get me two more lenses somehow.

BTW, does anyone know when the K100d will be available?
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:40 PM   #7

I own both the 28-105mm and the 50-200mm lens. The 50-200mm lens is a very good lens and it is a better range for me so, like a lot of other Pentax DSLR users, it is a real workhorse lens for me.

Here is a sample photo from the Pentax 50-200mm lens.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:27 PM   #8

Well so far all I've spent on the DL and kit lens is $400(after rebate), although I think I want to add some more RAM to my computer so I can process raw files... I had a few lenses laying around that I'm using, though they are all M lenses, I'm not going to spend more money anytime soon(well, maybe I'll get a zenitar). I have a 50mm f/1.4(nice lens) 28mm f/2.8, 135mm f/2.5, and the kit lens. So that gives me wide angle, normal, short telephoto, and telephoto Any lenses you had before should work on the DSLRs, if you have the money though I would probably go with the K100D, if not, get the DL(what I did).

cameanee wrote:
Quote:

I figure we'll need $1000(us) by the time we pay for the camera, memory, (1) add'l lens and any other suprises.

SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:51 PM   #9

Yes, I'm totally thinking about the *istDL. Not sure I can wait for the K100d as I haven't heard when it will be released and we need this camera within the next few weeks.

MT: That is a nice pic. That 50-200mm is getting some serious thought here. And I've seen it around $180 after rebate. I'll have to research prices some more.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:25 AM   #10

Hi cameanee,
I was torn b/t the DL and K100D too, but chose the DL after reading many posts and with the help of Mtclimber who has extensive experience and teaches digital photography. The DL with the 18-55mm lens cost me $389.99, after rebate. I used the money I saved from not buying the K100D to purchase two extra lenses: Pentax 50-200mm (w/ $50.00 rebate) and Tamron 90mm macro, and a carrying bag! The K100D will set you back anywhere from $620.00-$699.99 w/ the kit lens!http://shopping.yahoo.com/pentax%20K100D%20Digital%20Camera:1994074429
So you have to decide if the anti-shaking feature and a few other additions is worth the extra $$$ layout.

Caio,
Justinian

Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote