Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 12, 2006, 6:50 PM   #1

I posted earlier this week and got some good feedback. I've been doing an exhaustive search for a compact point-and-shoot with an optical viewfinder for under $400. Picture quality is very important to me. After going in many directions I think I've narrowed my search to the Canon SD700 IS vs. the Casio EX-Z850.

I can get the Casio from a reputable online retailer for about $320, while the Canon is about $440 from a reputable source.

The major turnoff about the Casio is the docking station. I travel for a living and don't want to carry more than necessary. I always have my laptop with me, which has a SD card reader so I suppose I could buy a separate charger for the battery and download my photos directly to my laptop. Or just deal with it and carry the dock.

The Canon is more that $100 additional and I really didn't want to spend that much. But the IS feature is very attractive.

I guess I'm just trying to get some feedback as to whether the Canon with IS is that much better than the Casio and hence worth the investment? Or if the Casio (seems like a great price) would do as just as well.

Thanks in advance.

Tipsy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:27 PM   #2

Tipsy-

Does size rule out the Canon A-620? It is a less than $200 camera that has received great reviews. I have had six different Casio cameras, and have never been really pleased with them. IMHO the photo quality just leaves something to be desired.

The price of the SD-700 seems high, or at least a bit more than you want to spend.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:42 PM   #3

Hey MT. Yeah, the A620 is a little larger than I'd like. I guess I'm focusing more on the ultra-compact models.

But the price is attractive though.

Tipsy

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Tipsy-

Does size rule out the Canon A-620? It is a less than $200 camera that has received great reviews. I have had six different Casio cameras, and have never been really pleased with them. IMHO the photo quality just leaves something to be desired.

The price of the SD-700 seems high, or at least a bit more than you want to spend.

MT
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote