Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:59 PM   #1

These two cameras are priced very similarly in the UK just now so any advice as why to lean more for one than the other would be much appreciated!

I like the extra pixels and swivel LCD on the Canon, as well as the optical viewfinder.

The Fuji is more compact.

The camera will mostly be used as a point and shoot, taking family pics. Short start-up time and shutter-lag are important.

Thanks in advance!
nickytgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2006, 6:21 PM   #2

nicky-

I used a Fuji F-10 (the twin, the F-11 was not marketed in the USA) and I was very pleased with its performance in every way. The Canon A-620 have received great reviews but I don't own one.

I did purchase the Fuji F-30 and am very pleased with the F-30.The F-30 has an "intelligent flash" and it is a great family/holiday camera.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:57 PM   #3

Hi Nicky

I have a Canon A620 and I like it quite a bit. Start up time is less than 2 seconds, and non-flash shot to shot speed is excellent, as is the focus speed. Even when using the flash, the refresh time is only a couple seconds. It's the fastest camera I've used in that regard, although my experience is limited to about a dozen cameras.

The "extra pixels" really, IMHO, means nothing. You won't get a better picture simply because one camera is 7mp and the other is 6mp. To me, it's more marketing and bragging rights than anything else. A 5 or 6mp point and shoot is plenty for an 8x10 print out or a full-screen photo, especially if you don't do any serious cropping.

The swivel LCD has proven quite useful for me. I won't go so far as to say its essential, but it sure is handy.

Attached is a photo I took recently in Auto mode.
Attached Images

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:14 PM   #4

flipped-

Thanks for postingthe excellent, well focused, well exposed Canon A-620 shot, and in the auto mode as well. Very nice.

To give Nicky a fair evaluation, we should also post a Fuji F-30 photo sample as well

MT

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:55 AM   #5

MT, that is an excellent photo, as are the others I've seen you post. I'm glad the OP has a good basis for comparison.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote