Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:11 AM   #1

wich canon you suggest? why?
okkervil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2006, 7:42 AM   #2

None - if they are non DSLR.

For football or soccer, you need a superzoom - at least 300mm equivelent. The S3 IS is a great camera but only goes up to ISO 800 at f3.5 which won't give you fast enough shutter speeds.

There are some digicams that have decent ISO 1600 performance and the new F30 camera appears to have OK ISO 3200 performance but the zoom is no where near enough.

Daytime football and soccer theCanon S3 IS or S2 IS will do a decent job for you just not for nighttime sports.

Nightime sports requires at a minimum ISO 1600 and f2.8 - and Ishot most HS football games last year at ISO 3200 because the lighting is so poor.

If you already own a camerait's always worth it to try and take shots - you can still end upcapturing a few good ones. But I wouldn't suggestspending the money on a new digicam with the sole purpose of shooting nighttime sports - it just won't cut it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:12 AM   #3

thanks, i will be near the football court, not seated in the public seatings....it's the same?

canon s2 or s3 are also good for non-zoom photos?

p.s. SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH!

Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:25 AM   #4

okkervil wrote:
Quote:
thanks, i will be near the football court, not seated in the public seatings....it's the same?
Afraid so. I shoot american football from the sidelines and last year used a lens equivelent to 320mm and it was barely adequate and that was with me moving up and down the sidelines with the players. Soccer is even more challenging because you can't constantly re-position yourself with the players like you can in American Football. Which means you really need even longer reach in your lens. For a certainty, the 3x or 4x zoom digicams will not have enough reach.

Again - if you're buying a camera for other uses it doesn't hurt to try and get some shots of a sporting event but shooting nightime sports - even from field level access requires some rather expensive camera bodies and lenses to get decent results.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:20 AM   #5

I will buy a new one, not only for sport photos,which one you suggest me?

canon a620

canon s2

canon a700

fuji f30
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:26 AM   #6

I'll leave that up to others to suggest - I haven't personally used any of those cameras (I use a Canon 20D DSLR). But I do shoot a lot of sports - including nighttime so I just wanted to give you a fair warning about what features are required for night sports shooting.

When it comes to selecting a digicam for all purpose use there are better qualified people than me to answer (namely someone whose actually used one of the cameras you're considering :-))