Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 13, 2006, 2:02 PM   #1

Aloha-

I have been researching and reading for two months. Narrowed my search down to 2 camera's. The new Sony H5 and the new Canon S3. Leaning towards the Sony because of the large and high quality diplay. Seems like their pic's are about equal. I worry a little about the memory stick for Sony. Had Canon 35mm most of my life - but digital is a whole new world. My only Digital is a 4 year old Olympus 3030. Okay at the time, but no color in the photos.

We are taking a two week trip to the South Pacific. I do very little indoor or flash. Mostly outdoor and sports.

Would appreciate any direct insight.....

Canoe Paddler Tom
paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2006, 2:40 PM   #2

Well SD cards are cheaper than MS Pro Duos, but then again the H5 comes with the tube adapter for mounting filters and adding tcons/wcons, plus batteries and a charger.

If you need burst speed then the S3 is the one to go for , 2.2fps vs 1.2 fps

Also the H5 has a very slow recharging flash, it is however way more powerful than the flash on the Canon so if you need reach notspeed then consider that.

I suppose it comes down to quality of pictures taken in the end, check out the ones shown off in each of the forums here and in other forums such as Dpreview..
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 2:57 PM   #3

Thank you. I don't need burst and don't use the flash much. Picture quality in bright sun and the larger view screen plus the items you mentioned seem to give the edge for me to the Sony. Now if I can just find one in Hawaii. Will probably do Amazon or Crutchfield. Good about returns.

Mahalo-

Tom
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:26 PM   #4

One thing about superzooms is you get addicted to zoom !

The H5 goes perfectly with the VCL-DH1758 tcon.

Its a x1.7 tcon, taking your camera to x20 , 734mm equivalent ... nice.

Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:38 PM   #5

Sintares-

If the Sony H-5 is now going for $425, why have you not given any consideration to a DSLR?? The Pentax DL DSLR is currently selling for $464 with a $100 rebate from Pentax. Wouldn't that be a better, more flexible solution for you?

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:42 PM   #6

i agree with mtclimber (former owner of a panasonic fz30, same vein of the canon and sony models you're looking at)
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:10 PM   #7

Convenience.

Because I am very short sighted and can't use contacts, I use the lcd to compose and take shots , rarely using the viewfinder as with glasses its looking down a tunnel to a tiny screen.

When dslrs get a proper live view lcd I might change, the couple of cameras that have so called live view at the moment I discount.

If I take of my glasses and use the diopter setting on the viewfinder then thats alright, but thenI look up to see what I am about to take a picture off, or to move to a better position etc and find I can barely see to avoid tripping over curbs etc and I can't see the target, well nothing but a blurr..

Ever shot a model and took the camera away from your face to ask her to move to a new position , to arrange her hair in a different way ?

Well , without glasses I can't actually see her, or her hair , so I put my glasses back on, then need to take them off to use the viewfinder, then if I need to change a setting in the menu , need to put the glasses on again, then take them off to take the shot... you get the picture..

A total waste of time swapping glasses on and off, plus you tend to drop them or hang them round your neck , get the straps caught up, or bash the camera into them and break something.

Besides I like the ability to zoom all the way from 36-432mm on one lens, don't have to worry about swapping them around or taking time to exchange lenses when something new I want to shoot suddenly presents its self.

Sure I could buy an expensive lens for a dslr that would take better pictures have a wider aperature, but for all round general shooting a superzoom does me fine.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:44 PM   #8

Sintares-

That seems like a very logical explanation to me. Thanks for taking the time to fill us in on the details.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:33 AM   #9

Good info-

I agree - I am looking for the large screen and the portability. I am a photo buff, nearly going pro during college. But now I just want great photos with a big zoom that can fit in my fanny pack while I am exploring the South Pacific......

I would love to buy a new Nikon 50 or better, but have weight and size issues island hopping. Would rather take some nice scotch over a 6 lb lense....sorry for that but!

tom
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:38 AM   #10

Before you buy, check the Panasonic FZ30 out. Plenty of examples of quality on the panasonic forum here.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote