Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 13, 2006, 2:45 PM   #1

Hope someone can help me out on this one............:?

I'm looking for a compact camera (pocket size or there abouts) that has the best movie function for recording in low light & also has good audio.

I'll be mainly using it to record myband at gigs, in low lit halls.

I've been looking at the Sanyo HD1 although I've heard its not very good in low light, does anyone know if the Sanyo C6 is better than the H1 ant taking low lighting footage or are they just about the same?

Also with the HD1 & C6,can the flashdouble up as a video camera light i.e. remain constantly on whilst recording a movie clip?

As an alternative I've also been looking at Canon's Powershot range, like the CANON PowerShot A700.

This camera has has Canons new Fast Frame Rate tech. that can take 60 fps footage, the only downfall is you can only take minute long clips. I'm not very sure tho how it preforms in low light,.

In short, I'm looking for a camera that has good audio & good video in low light, and is close to pocket size as you can get.

Should I be looking at Hybrids or Compact cameras?

Thanks in advance, Jamie.

crazyjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:41 PM   #2

jamie-

You might take a look at the low light levels champ, the Fuji F-30. It does AVI movie clips at 480 X 640.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:44 PM   #3

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
jamie-

You might take a look at the low light levels champ, the Fuji F-30. It does AVI movie clips at 480 X 640.

MT

Thanx M.T. trying to avoid the xD Picture Card cams, as I've got loads of SD cards
Old Jul 14, 2006, 6:14 PM   #4

I've done a fair bit of research and it looks like the HD1 isn't the best for video when you compare it against its price tag.

Many sites say that the HD res. is more of a gimmick rather than actually being high def. The lineresolutionis high def. but thevideo quality is much lower than a standard minidv cam.

I went on to look at the C6, which has better low light performance than the HD1, and its almost 25% cheaper. The main difference between the the HD is that its zoom isnt as good (5x optical compared with 10)and it doesn't have a HD res. (gimmick)

The C6 doesn't record at 60 fps, you can only watch movies through your T.V. @ 60fps which sounds like a bit of a gimmick as well.

The C6 can only record at 30fps at 640 x 480 / 320 x 240 / 176 x 144 res.

Which doesn't really sound like it sets it apart from normal compact camera movie modes.

That kinda puts me back to square 1

Heres what I'm looking for......

at least 30fps movies @ 640 x 480 (60 fps would be a bonus & also so would a greater res. than 640 x 480.

SD card compat.

5 x optical zoom or higher (zoom function enabled during movie shooting would be handy)

Good low light performance.

Compact/ pocket size.

Any ideas guys?

Cheers J.