Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 13, 2006, 5:49 PM   #1

I am fairly sure there is not a camera out there that meets my needs yet .. but if you know one I may have your children:?Or if you know of one in the pipeline for meto keep an eye out for.

I have a CasioZ750 as my always with me camera and it's almost perfect but a 28mm equivalent at the wide end would seal it. If I could have everything it would have a better flash, better noise on high ISO and an 800 ISO. But it can't be any bigger, in fact I have the specs here.

MUST:

7Mp or higher

Less than 1" Thick 2.5cm

Less than 5oz 140g

PASM

400ISO

Optical Viewfinder

Flash to 12'

At least30-60mm zoom

2.5" Screen

1.5 seconds to first shot

640x480 30fps movie mode.

Tripod socket

Nice:

Image Stabilisation

Auto Bracketing

Bulb

800ISO

3fps Burst

Raw

Bluetooth

Obviously it needs to take good sharp well exposed pictures too :-)I really have looked and tried loads. The Canon S80 is very close but just too bulky if it had the IS of it's brethren I might have put up with it. The must list isnot something I can live without (well I'd settle for shutter OR aperturepriority).The nice list is in order of desirability.

Thanks for any suggestions
VinnyP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2006, 7:15 PM   #2

Yo,

I've been where you are - v frustrating.

The Panasonic FX01 looks good but then it has bad noise at higher ISOs - ugh:
http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/pana...cfx01_samples/

The Canon S80 is just too big.

The Sony T9 or T30 seem OKish but they're not 28mm.

Hmm I'd stick with your Casio.

Eee by gum.

What kind stuff do you like to shoot?

Steve
duffloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 6:28 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Nothing meets all those criteria.

If you want a compact with a 28mm equivalent wide angle your only choice is the Pana FX01. Its high-ISO performance is not great, but to compensate it has f2.8 and Image Stabilisation, so mostly you don't need high ISO. I have one and think it's brilliant. But it's my pocket camera and for 80% of my photography I use the Canon 20D SLR.

Otherwise if the wide angle is not so important I reckon the Fuji F30 or Canon IXUS with IS are pretty cool.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:47 AM   #4

The FX01 looked ideal, but why no PASM, no optical viewfinder and poor high ISO. I'd livewith the ISO grainbecause of IS but notno PASM hopefully they will bring out amodel more aimed at enthusiasts

I shoot all sorts, mostly contemporary and travel. I also do a bit of sports landscapes and wildlife.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:39 AM   #5

What happened with the Leica C-Lux 1. Leica high end camera manufacturer takes the FX01 and adds £100 if for that money they had added PASM they would have my money in the coffers already. But they have added nothing AFAICS?
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:56 AM   #6
E.T

VinnyP! wrote:
Quote:
The FX01 looked ideal, but why no PASM, no optical viewfinder and poor high ISO. I'd live¬*with the ISO grain¬*because of IS but not¬*no PASM hopefully they will bring out a¬*model more aimed at enthusiasts¬*
I don't see that happening because enthusiasts won't use small pocket P&S as main camera.

VinnyP! wrote:
Quote:
What happened with the Leica C-Lux 1. Leica high end camera manufacturer takes the FX01 and adds £100 if for that money they had added PASM they would have my money in the coffers already. But they have added nothing AFAICS?
That's how most digicam updates are done, by changing name/increasing number instead of real features.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:13 PM   #7

E.T wrote:
Quote:
I don't see that happening because enthusiasts won't use small pocket P&S as main camera.

I know what you mean butmanyif notmostenthusiats have a take everywhere camera, like me, not a main camera but it gets some use.I havea D2x, D200, F5 F100and bags of glass to stick on the front of them. I also have aPanny FZ30forbusiness trips and walking around iffy urban areas.

But it's no good if I don't havethemwith me. Hence my desire for a camera which can always be in my pocket, takes good quality imagesbut doesn't have the limitations of just P&S and can go wider than 35mm equiv which I find more useful than a longer tele end. The Z750 takes pretty good shots, there are very veryfew times when the camera was at fault except when light was low or I couldn't get wide enough. As for theidiot pressing the button (me)being at fault then that's 99.9% of shots but like golf we all live for the .1% don't we :-)
Old Jul 19, 2006, 4:34 PM   #8

You might want to check out the new Panasonic DMC-LX2. It was just announced today so i haven't checked out all of the specs. From a quick glance it seems to be what you are looking for minus the optical viewfinder.

28-112mm

10 MP

2.8 in LCD

400 ISO (3200 max)

PASM

640x480 30fps

I.S.

187g (heavier than you were looking for but not much)

4.16 in x 2.2 in x 1.04 in
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 6:15 PM   #9

Still no optical viewfinder :sad:And a little bigger/heavier than I want but looks great otherwise.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 7:03 PM   #10

The only advantage to an optical viewfinder on aP&S is longer battery life. You aren't looking through the lens like you would with a DSLR, soyou really have no idea what your image will be until you see it on the LCD or a computer. The optical viewfinder would be even more useless when you are trying to use the zoom. A small EVF would bebetter suited toa P&S than an optical viewfinder. Oh well JMHO.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote