Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 14, 2006, 7:55 AM   #1

Hey,I have been looking around at some digital SLRs im just starting.I have been looking at the Canon EOS 350d and the Nikon D70 and are unsure of which one to choose.I intend to use the camera for surf photography so i need a good lense but i only have a small budget.What SLR camera would you recomend and what lense would be suitable.

Thanks
chummy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:28 AM   #2

have you considered a pentax *ist dl? it can be had for under $400 w/kit lens after rebate, and extra lenses can be had at a much better price than its canon or nikon counterparts. its also the most compact dslr on the market (go and hold it at circuitcity, its a perfect fit) i've had it for a week and love it so far, excellent low light capability, and although rapid fire shooting is slightly slower, overall it is still a great camera, especially for the price difference! i've already bought 2 new lenses for it;a 28-80mm pentax on ebay for $32 shipped and a 80-210mm tamron for $43 shipped from www.keh.com - they're much more economical than canon or nikon lenses because backwards compatibility for pentax can't be beat.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 9:14 AM   #3

ok thanks ill look in to it

Old Jul 14, 2006, 9:18 AM   #4

I think any of the entry level DSLRs should meet your needs. If you do go Nikon, you might want to consider the D50 vs. the D70 - the D50 has better noise performance which can be crucial for sports photography. Try the various cameras out and see which you prefer. The key to your success is going to be the lens. I shoot a lot of sports but never surfing. But, I'm guessing reach is going to be critical. You're probably going to need at least a 300mm lens - preferably 400mm. If you're on a budget - you may want to consider the Sigma 70-300 lens or preferably the Bigma 50-500 lens for whatever camera you decide on.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 9:50 AM   #5

keep in mind that all the budget dslrs use APS sized sensors - meaning that the focal length of the lenses you buy is multiplied by a factor of approximately 1.5x so the 80-210mm lens that i bought actually has a 35mm equivalent of 120-315mm, or approx. 9x zoom in 35mm terms. a 100-300mm lens will be 150-450 and so on. the dpreview website has a good comparison chart, where you can select and see all the camera specs of the models you're looking at side-by-side; the nikon d50 has the same sensor as the pentax *ist dl, so i would believe john's statement of good low light shooting - the pentax will take pictures i never dreamed of taking without a flash when i had the panasonic fz30. however, if you're on a budget, the pentax is going to save you close to or more than $200 off the initial kit, which will more than cover accessories and a lens or two on ebay or www.keh.com - they're a steve's sponsor!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 6:18 PM   #6

Ok yeah.I think il go with the D50 what Lens would be suitable. is the Sigma lens universal or not or will i have to go with a Nikon lens.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 6:43 PM   #7

Sigms, like other 3rd party manufacturers, build lenses to work with most major camera systems. Sigmas Nikon lenses will only fit Nikons, their Canon lenses only fit Canons, etc. There is no "universal" lens or mount.
Broncosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:08 PM   #8

Ok thanks heaps