Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 15, 2006, 1:52 PM   #11

Mary-

I guess I need more info. You liked the Canon S-2, then after we chatted, about you like the Fuji S-5200 and the S-5600. Is there a need for long zoom that I am unaware of in your camera requirements? All of the cameras that I have just mentioned are long zoom cameras.

The S-5200 does have higher available ISO settings, but it also has a slower lens. Therefore the S-5200 would be very marginal for your requirements. It can be pushed and you will get photos, but they will not be of the quality or clarityof the last photo that I posted this morning. BTW What did you think of that photo? Is that the kind of photo you are wanting to take with your new camera?

The S-6000 will be released to the market in October and it will have both the zoom that you seem to desire, if I am assuming correctly.It is thatvery high ISO capability that we currently see in the Fuji F-30, which is now on the market, but is only a 3X optical zoom camera, that you will need.

Goto www.google.comfor more info on the S-6000. There are many references.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 4:54 PM   #12
*M2

I don't really know anything about professional photography so I may be using incorrect terms. By low-light I mean like concert lighting. I just want a camera that will take good quality photos at birthdays, holiday gatherings, etc. and in more difficult situations like concerts or school programs that are typically held in darkened auditoriums. I'd also like to be able to zoom in and still get the same quality photos as I could if I were in the front row.

Is that asking too much?

Thanks for all your help with this!
*M2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 5:20 PM   #13

You must decide this aspect of long/short zoom, IS/ no IS vs High ISO capability otherwise you will never be able to decide upon a single camera.

My advice is that you go for Fuji F30 for indoors, concerts ( you have to be near the stage because the zoom is not that big), etc. I have used Canon S2 and it cannot cope with the natural light indoors without flash. Even my Pana FZ20 ( with faster lens) is useless in low light wiythout flash.

If you want to have long zoom capability, it is good to have S2 for outdoors.

My 2.5 cents worth. Hope it is useful.

wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 6:46 PM   #14

Mary-

Wise has given you some good info. However, if you want to purchase just one camera, why not wait until October and you be able to get your dream camera, which I think might me the Fuji S-6000. Only you will know for sure.

MT
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:37 PM   #15
*M2

The aspects that drive me nuts about our current camera (my 1st digital) is:

1. I have lost so many moments that I was trying to capture, because there is a delay from the moment I push the button until the picture is actually taken. Is that the red-eye reduction feature? It doesn't even reduce red eye...all photos where ppl look into the camera, turn out w/red eye...and I can't turn the delay off.

2. Many clubs and concert venues have a no flash photography policy. I cannot turn the flash off.

3. At my daughter's graduation and award ceremonies, photos are terribly dark, and she's so far away...they're horrible. I like the Bon Jovi photo and just wondered if it were possible to be a good distance away from the stage and get a nice photo that looks clear and close with a camera in our price range. And how do you get pictures like that? Zoom? No flash? I'm clueless.

I checked out some sites (will continue to look) at the S6000, but one page says it will sell for around $600.00. If that's correct, we just can't go that high and maybe I'm being unrealistic with my expectations for what I can afford.

I should probably sign up for some classes so that I understand how it all works!
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:02 PM   #16

Well, one good aspect of most newer cameras is there is very little "shutter lag" - the time from when you press the shutter button to the time the camera actually begins to take the picture. It's usually around 1/10 of a second.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, there is not yet a sub-$500 point and shoot camera that combines a long zoom, good high ISO performance, and IS. You are basically looking for the "Holy Grail" of P&S cameras, and we ain't there yet.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 7:55 AM   #17

Mary-

flipped has stated the facts rather precisely. Our eyes are wonderful instruments, andour eyesadapt at warp speed to light changes, and low light levels, however, the technology of cameras, while working hard, has not yet caught up with that level of technology yet.

Based on what is available right now, the Fuji F-30 is your best bet. Come October 2006, there will be the Fuji S-6000 which will give you a whole lot more zoom. But will not be totally perfect. I expect the Fuji S-6000 which is slated for an introductory price of $500, not $600, to be down to around $380 to $420 by January.

Regarding the Bon Jovi photo: Yes, with care, goodphotographic knowledge, and the right camera,a photo like that can be taken from the 10th to 15th row without flash at a concert.

Yes, there is a lot to learn about photography. A course at your local Community College would be very helpful and you would learn a lot. How do I know? Well I teach for our State University as well as our local Community College. When you know more about cameras and photography, you will both be able to take better photos and you willfeel much more comfortable when taking photos.

MT

Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:59 AM   #18
*M2

Hi! I'm backwith a few more questions.

I ameagerly anticipating the Fuji s6000 to arrive in stores so that I can try it out, but in talking to other "photographers"I hear all sorts of different opinions. I havebeen told to also look at the Canon S3 IS and the Canon Rebel XT.

I am hearing that the higher the ISO setting, the more noise you get. I know the Fuji s6000 has very high ISO settings, but I am wonderingif the S3ISO 800 issufficient for concert/theater photographs. I also read that because of the low light settings, you may get more blur and the S3 has the IS feature.

OR would it be best to go ahead and cough up the big bucks and go for the dSLR. I'm intimidated by all the controls, but heard the rebel is a good "beginner" SLR.

Any more advice?

Thank you!
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:33 PM   #19

Might I suggest trying an Olympus C-2100, used, but available on ebay for about $200. I have one I have been using for five years and it meets all the criteria you mention; great in low light, super zoom, plus image stablization. If you try it and it does not suit, you can get your money back by reselling it. Flash is optional and the program setting is truly "point and shoot'.
jgo1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:00 PM   #20
*M2

If I am looking at the right camera (on dpreview.com),the Olympus C-2100 has only 1.9 million effective pixels. Isn't this like a 2 megapixel camera? Iread that you needat least 4 megapixels for printing up to 8x10 photographs.

yes? no? wrong camera?