Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 14, 2006, 6:45 PM   #1
*M2

Desired features : Low light, image stabilization, easy to use, flash control, no delay

Basically, I'm looking for a camera that is easy to work with. I'd be using itas a family camera - but would also like to use it, for instance, atshows - to get nice, clear pictures in low light and zoom if I'm far away...ability to shut off the flash...

I currently have a cheap digital that I hate...photos look fuzzy...it delays from the time I press the button to the time it actually takes the picture (supposedly a red-eye reduction feature - though almost EVERY photo turns out to have red eye). I can't shut the flash off.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions -

Mary
*M2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2006, 7:14 PM   #2

Mary-

Certainly both the professional reviews and the user reviews/comments have been just great on the Canon A-620, the Fuji F-10, and the Fuji F-30. If you want a lot of zoom, look at the Canon S-2, the Fuji S-5200, or the soon to be released (October) Fuji S-600fd.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:03 PM   #3
*M2

Great! I appreciate your help.

Mary
Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:22 PM   #4
*M2

I checked out that Canon S2 online, and it looks great! It seems to have all the features I'm looking for. When I read about it though...a lot of the details are over my head. Do you think it's easy to use for someone who isn't very camera savvy?
Old Jul 14, 2006, 9:13 PM   #5

Mary-

I am a Professional Digital Camera Instructor and this is a digital camera that I often recommend to my students. Yes, you will have a learning curve but it will not be very steep nand the Canon S-2 is a fun camera.

MT (Sarah)

Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:29 PM   #6

MT, wouldn't you say that the Fuji F30 is a better low-light performer than the S2? I notice that low-light proficiency is on Mary's list.

Mary, if you look through these forums you will see some excellent photos - including low-light ones - mtclimber has taken with the Fuji F30.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:12 AM   #7

Thanks, flipped-

I missed that spec. Mary, if low light shooting is high on your priority list then you ought to take a look at the Fuji F-30 (3X optical zoom, max ISO 3200) or the Fuji S-5200 (10X optical zoom, max ISO 1600), OR THE NEW Fuji S-6000, due out in October, 10.7X optical zoom, max ISO 3200)

Keep in mind that while the Canon S-3 does have IS, none of the Fuji cameras have IS. Here is sample Fuji F-30 shot.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:18 AM   #8
*M2

Is the Canon S2 horrible for low lighting photography? I really liked the other features it has including the zoom capability. I also heard from a friend who dabbles in photography that Canon has been the leader in digital photography...don't know if you'd agree...but the Canon immediately appealed to me after her comment and reading the camera's features...but if it's no good in low light, hmm...

Are there any posted photos w/Canon S2 in low light?

Mostly low light would be for concerts and photographing my husband's band in nightclubs.

Some photos taken with the camera we end up purchasing will be used on websites.

OH...also, how important is the difference between 5 megapixels to 6, 8, megapixels?
Old Jul 15, 2006, 1:32 PM   #9

Mary-

Because the Canon S-2 has a max ISO setting of ISO 400, and because you will need a much HIGHER ISO setting (probably around ISO 1600 if you are not using flash) for the photos that you have described in your last post, the Canon S-2 just will not be able to get the photos that you desire.

A camera such as the Fuji F-10, or preferrably the Fuji F-30, (capable of ISO settings up to 3200) can take a photo in 1/4 to 1/8 of the amount of light needed for a shot with the Canon S-2, which is maxed out at ISO 400.

Take a look at the attached photo, please. If you want to take a photo like that you will need a camera such as the Fuji F-30 and NOT be zoomed out with the lens. Normally speaking, a DSLR camera with a very fast/bright lens is what you need for concert and band photography. The only P&S camera that can even approach taking photos inthat kind of photo situation is the Fuji F-30 and when it is released in October, the Fuji S-6000.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jul 15, 2006, 1:54 PM   #10
*M2

would you choose the Fuji F30 over the Fuji S5200? the 5200 iso equivalent is listed as: Auto, 64, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600.

Is the Fuji S600 in the same price range? Would you recommend that one over the others? I can't find anything on the Fuji website about this camera.Do you know of a websitewhere I can check it out?

Thanks for your help...apologies for so many questions. It's a pretty big purchase for our budget, and I just don't want to screw it up. I have been nothing but disappointed with our cheap one.