Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 15, 2006, 4:49 PM   #1

Good afternoon,

I am a new member andI am de-lurking with another boring 'what to buy' post.

Now my story is rather bizzare. Several weeks ago, I gave in and bought Rebel XT with a nice collection of lenses ( Canon 100mm macro, 17-40, 70-200, and Sigma 10-22). I admit, I realy had a blast with macro lens, but after a few weeks, I noticed that I don't like lugging around a heavy bag, 70-200 was mounted on the camera once (way too heavy for me, not used to big lenses), I didn't like post processing RAW files. Rebelnow mostly staysat home and I am carrying again my old, beaten up Canon A60.

I will probably sell Rebel (hmm, that macro lens is really nice though ) as I really don'tlike carrying heavy camera bag and I would like to replace it with a smaller camera.

I have been reading here and on Canon boards about p&s cameras and narrowed it down somewhat - I would like a camera with IS that will be able to take excellent macro shots. I am deciding between Canon S2 and Panasonic. Fz30, Fz7. I had Panasonic FZ30 in my Amazon cart, but it was taken out a few hours ago and it is no longer available.

Thank you in advance for any help.
PetersP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2006, 7:39 PM   #2

PetersP-

You are correct. If your interests are narrowed to macro shots only, then there are several point and shoot cameras that can do a very creditable job. The Canon S-2 is certainly one of them. I would shy away from the Panasonic models as the show noise at ISO 200 on up.

However, if your interests are wider than just macro shots, then that becomes a wholly different analysis or camera search. I have attached a nice Fuji F-30 macro for you.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 2:23 AM   #3

I really never thought about macro photography beforeI boughtan FZ7. If I had known I would like macro so much, I probably would have went with the FZ30. The extra megapixels capture more detail than I have been able to get with the FZ7. The hotshoe would be nice to have also. Ifthe Spanish Panasonic site is correct, ina few monthsthere will bea new FZ50 10MP camera. I will probably considerupgrading next year as long as the price is in the same neighborhood as the current FZ30.

Here's an example of a macro shot with the FZ7 and a Raynox DCR-250 close up lens. The DCR-250 is a +8 diop. lens that is small enough to fit in your pocket. This photo is cropped from 2816x2112 to 2053x1540 then resized for the web. There's no PP or noise reduction. Personally, I can live with a some noise.

vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 3:35 PM   #4

Thank you mtclimber and vaiboy for yor responses. Nice pictures too

Regarding what pictures I take, I just browsed through my image libraries and I would say it's 80% macro shots with some landscape and buildings thrown in.

I considered Fuji F-30 but it doesn't have IS and only 3x optical zoom. Basically, I guess I am looking for a camera that haven't been made yet - everything in one package - mega zoom that's good for close ups, IS, good in low light....

I have seen theannouncement onSpanish Panasonic site as well and I wonder what the pricing will be on those. Perhaps it's worthwaiting for the new model, unless there will be a really good deal on FZ30 somewhere.

PetersP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:41 PM   #5

PetersP

You might take a look at the Panasonic TZ-1. It is a camera that I carry with me daily. It has an excellent macro mode and 10X optical zoom, along with OIS. Unfortunately, it does not have classic manual controls, and the ISO maxes out 800, (but, there is a Scene Mode that takes it to 1600 ISO).

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote