Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:55 PM   #1

I want a camera that can take natural looking indoor shots in low-light (just normal home lighting), preferably without a flash. I'm tired of my current digital camera and the flash that blows everything out. My 3 month old nephew also hates my camera's flash.:G So image stabilization and high iso settings are a must. Point and shoot simplicity and small size are also high priorities.

I've pretty much narrowed my decision down to either the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX01 or the Canon PowerShot SD700 IS. So out of those two, which is the best? Also if there's another camera that meets my requirements better than either of these please let me know.

Thanks
Pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2006, 2:49 AM   #2

Fuji F30...for sure (in low light situations)
michael1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 4:13 AM   #3

Image stabilization is nothing without good high ISO performance. I recommend the Fujifilm F30 as well. You just can't get better than that with a compact point&shoot when it comes to low noise levels as you increase ISO. Panasonics are dreadful for anything above ISO100. Canons aren't much better at it as well. Here's the comparison at ISO400 for the FX01 and the predecessor of the F30, the F10: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfx01/page9.asp
You can't touch low lighing shooting without good perfomance (low noise) at high ISO. Image stabilization can be avoided by setting a big shutter time at an apropriate ISO level for the lighting condition of the environment you are shooting in.
Cheers!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 7:36 AM   #4

Pinion (Pine?)-

You most likely do not need any more affirmations, but I am also a very happy Fuji F-30 user as well. It is an excellent camera, and easily beats the Panasonic TZ-1 that I own as well in low light level shooting conditions.

Here is a F-30 close-up example.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 7:40 AM   #5

Pinion-

Here is another F-30 close-up taken under normal house-lighting conditions. That shot would be impossible for the Panasonic FX01 or the Canon SD-700 IS without showing a whole lot of annoying noise in the photo.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jul 16, 2006, 7:41 AM   #6

^^^That's an impressive shot

Thanks guys, I think you've sold me on the f30. I appreciate the input.

oh, these shots didn't hurt either

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=18587391

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=18587495

Pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 8:40 AM   #7

Pinion-

We're glad that we could help.

MT
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:28 AM   #8

The F30 pics are really good.

I plan to get the F30 but I would like to think that anyone in the family would get really sharp good quality pictures using the AUTO setting. Most have a steady hand so that isn't a big issue. Is this likely?

Also, what are the differences between the F11 and F30? Any threads already touched this? (I couldn't find any).

Thanks.
kamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:57 AM   #9

kamara-

I have attached a photo of the Fuji F-30 mode Selector for your reference. As you will see this is essentially an automatic point and shot camera. Yes, there are two possible basic selection to make on the mode selector. Either of them will give you a fully automatic shooting mode. You may select eitherthe red camera symbolor the balck camera symbol with the letter "m" next to it.

The red camera symbol allow the camera to select everything.

Thebalck camera symbol with the letter "m" next to it allows you to set an ISO range for the camera to us. You can with the Photometry button "Auto 400" which restricts the ISO to ISO 400 and below, and you can select "Auto 1600" which restricts the ISO to ISO 1600 and below, or you can manually select any Iso that is desired up to ISO 3200. The advantage of the black camera symbol is that you can not only select ISO ranges, but you can now select any flash mode, exposure compensation and the like.You cannot make those selections when usingthe red camera symbol.

So yes, you can certainly hand the F-30 to anyone else and have fully auto operation.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:02 AM   #10

Mtclimber, thank you for your reply. On the red camera auto setting, how good is the autofocus? I ask this because my experiences with other p&S camera's (casio exilim, fujifilm Z1) are that autofocus is not very good.
kamara is offline   Reply With Quote