Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:31 PM   #11

Many users are opting to purchase either the D-70/D-50 body and to go with either the Tamron or Sigma 18-200mm lenses to reduce the amount of lens changes. Nikon does offer an 18-200mmVR lenses but it is in very short supply and prices on it are very high.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:22 AM   #12

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Hi melt-

Yes, the KM 7D is an impressive camera. I received mine earlier this week and I have been impressed. However, if you follow the http://www.dpreview.com KM SLR Forum, you will see that there is indeed a rapidly growing concern about warranty repairs and service in general,due to anactual lack of parts for both the 7D and the 5D.

The 7D may be a great camera (and I personally think that it is) but if there are no parts and viable servicing it quickly becomes a questionable investment. Sony is focusing a whole lot more on the Sony Alpha introduction, than they are about servicing KM DSLR's already in consumer hands.

My philosophy is that a camera purchase should be well thought out. In the OP's initial post he simply asked if anyone felt that the Nikon D-200 was worth the extra expense. I think that is a very logical question. IMHO, because this is his first DSLR purchase, I would not jump directly to the Nikon D-200. I just don't think it would be worth it, unlesshe has a lot of previous Nikon experience.Why not get your felt wet first, and then move up, if that seems prudent.

There are a lot of DSLR choices out there to consider. Also a very basic decision has to be made concerning IS as well.

MT
Certainly not a very comforting feeling, but I guess it only matters if you need service before it's time to upgrade. What I can't figure out is what happened to all the spare parts? I can't imagine they used them all to build the new Sony. Seems like everyone that posts with a problem, never gets a repair.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:35 AM   #13

Well, I guess I know which camera not to buy then. . .
towndrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:34 AM   #14

TD-

With a new Nikon camera due to be introduced in just 19 days, you might just hold off a bit on your decision and see if the new DSLR camersa from Nikon will be (a) between the D-70 model and the D-200, (b) between the D-50 model and the D-70, 0r (c) an entirely new low priced DSLR specifically designed for the beginning DSLR photographer.

The current thread called "DSLR Hell" also has more than a few sample photos from various DSLR cameras, using most of the consumer grade lenses. You might want to take a peek at that. Attached is a Nikon D-50 photo shot with the Tamron 18-200mm lens.

MT

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 6:25 PM   #15

Well through my reading and research I've changed my mind once more and opted to go for the D80 instead of the D70. It's a litlte more, but I think it's worth a little extra. Thanks for all the help guys. I'm saving up for the Nikon 18-200VR Lense now too. May get a little help from the girlfriend on that one though.

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to place my next question, but I was just wondering of anyone could recommend a good tri-pod to get, and if there is a minimum size SD card I should get for the camera. I'd like to shoot in RAW, and the D80 is a 10MP camera. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 7:22 PM   #16
TDN

I have to disagree with rey , please do NOT spend 200$ on a tripod, in my opinion that's nothing but a waste.

You've got very decent tripods under 100$, why even under 50$ if you bargain for a 2nd hand one.
Here's a tip: go to a local camera store and ask about tripods. Find out which ones have a nice smooth way of handling, and at the same time are sturdy. Then remember that brand/model and look it up on the internet.

Velbon has some nice tripods. (for example: I used this one a few weeks ago and the cilinder system is very smooth and pleasant to use... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
There are cheaper ones on that site that will do just fine too though. Just make sure it has a 3-way head & can support some weight)

As for memory cards: I use 512MB cards, they'll hold ±150 jpegs and ± 40 raws in my 6 megapixel *ist DL.
I wouldn't use anything lower than 512MB, as they're not that expensive anyway.
1 GB cards must be nice too...

If you can afford the D80, you'll be sure to have a new camera that will last you for a long time.
I personally would look a little down the line, for example a D50, that can be had under 500$ nowadays. The saved money would get you a nice lens & a pleased misses. lol

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:17 AM   #17

I've been looking for Tri-pods, memory, and bags online. I think memory is the only real thing that I would feel comfortable buying online without seeing in person first. I really do appreciate all the input since I'm a complete novice. I have a tripod that came with my video camera and I've been using my point and shoot Sony with it for a long time. In my opinion, it sucks. I'll continue shopping, and thanks for all the help so far.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:53 PM   #18

The tripod forum here isn't very active, but you can find alot of good advice there if you use the search feature:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=73

There seem to be a number of people who don't recommend anything less than one of the popular $250+ ballheads and a $150-$250 set of legs to go with it. But many buyers of some less expensive models seem to be happy enough with them as well.

Since you are talking about shooting primarily ladscapes and scenery, though, you will be relying on the tripod alot so I wouldn't skimp on it too much. It does seem you get what you pay for. Pros spend the money on the better tripods and heads for good reason.

I think something like the Velbon model recommended by TDN might be the minimum a DSLR owner would want to consider. I noticed in researching tripods that there were a few Slick models strating at around that price which tend to get very high marks from buyers:

Slick Able 300DX
Slick Pro 340DX
Slick Pro 400DX
Slick Pro 700DX

I've also noticed that these periodically go on special at B&H; the current deal seems to be on the 700.

The most popular first choice for most people though, seems to be Manfrotto:

3001BN
3021BPRO

Pair the very popular 3021PRo model with a decent head and you're near $200. Also, note that the Slick examples above generally consist of decent legs combined with a fairly inexpensive pan & tilt head. If your equipment isn't too heavy, you might find such an inexpensive head sufficient. But most seem to warn against the more inexpensive ball heads. If you prefer the flexibility of a good ball head, then you might be looking at a $200+ setup along the lines of what Rey was suggesting:

3021BPRo w/488RC2 head

Whether it's really worth spending that much, or more, is up to you; your needs, your equipment, your standards, and your budget. Is it worth it to you to pay more for the flexibility of one of those center columns that can be mounted laterally? For a good ballhead rather than a pan & tilit? Is light weight important? Or do you want the most basic design that will be stable at the lowest price?

The models I've suggested above are pretty much the entry level; the least most people would want spend to put under an entry level DSLR & lens. Many who buy the setups above also do so with the thought of later possibly upgrading to a higher quality head. If your overall budget is near $2000, a setup in the $400 range with a quality ballhead might be more suitable. It often doesn't make too much sense to put $1500 of equipment on a $100 budget tripod.

You might also want to make sure you know what your needs are and gain a bit more knowledge before spending on something like a $250+ ballhead form Markins, Kirk, Really Right Stuff, Arca Swiss, etc.--all a bit beyond my budget and knowledge right now.

Maybe you don't need to spend that much. Maybe for landscape you don't need the quick adjustment of a good ballhead as much as you might for shooting wildlife. Maybe you don't need the same precision that you might for macro work. And in the end the quality of the photographer will matter more than the quality of the equipment. Maybe no one "needs" an expensive tripod, or an expensive camera.

But it's not a "waste" if it's a tool that you will really use and take advantage of. Most buyers of Manfrotto, Gitzo, Markins, RRS, etc. do seem consider their products to be good value.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:58 PM   #19

I've been looking at tripods all day long, and they are making my head spin.I was looking for something sturdy that would also support my soon to be D80. The more I looked, the more I realized there was a lot more to buying a tripod that I had initially realized. I didn't really know that there were so many options. I will be taking mostly landscape or portrait type pictures, so I think I need to investigate a little more.

I'd really like to spend no more than $250 or so. I know nothing about them, so it will have to be an educational thing for me. I don't see the advantage of a ball head, tilt, good legs, or anything. So I'll be reading a lot tonight.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:14 PM   #20

While I do not own any of the cameras you mentioned, I doown a Canon Digital Rebel Xt, and I am extremely satisfied with this magnificent camera (you may read the Conclusion page on Steve's review for a summary of what this camera has to offer, and I would say it isvery accurate). The Rebel XT is definitely worth considering.

Here is a complete list of items that I purchased:

* Canon Digital Rebel XT 8MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Lens (Black)

* Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens

* Sunpak 8001UT Tripod with Quick Release, Bubble Level and 3-Way Panhead

* Tiffen 58mm UV Protection Filter

* SanDisk SDCFH-1024-901 1 GB Ultra II CompactFlash Card

* Canon Wireless Remote Control RC1 for Digital Rebel

* Digital Concepts 1000 MAH Replacement Battery for Canon NB-2L/NB-2LH

* Canon 2400 SLR Gadget Bag for EOS SLR Cameras

* Canon EOS Digital Rebel Digital Field Guide

The total cost for all the above equipment would be under $1000 at current price. Best wishes!
yogs is offline   Reply With Quote