Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:08 PM   #1

I've been been using a Sony Cybershot for a while and I'm not ready for a real camera. I've been reading and shopping for some time now. I'm finally ready to make my purchase, however I'm having trouble making my final decision. I've narrowed it down to the Nikon D70 or D200. There is a big price jump to the D200, and seeing as how I'm still learning some of the terminology, I'm not sure if it is worth the $$$. Can anyone give me their opinion as to which way to go? The only real differences I seeare the resolution, YRGB Histograms, the body is metal instead of plastic, more fps, and an all around a faster camera. It's also almost double the $$$.

Any help at pushing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Of course I'm leaning towards the D200, but still thinking of the D70 due to the price. Need to be sure it's worth the difference. Thanks for any comments.
towndrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:29 PM   #2

I have neither of the cameras that you mentioned. Instead, I have a Pentax *ist DS, which I like very much.

You have a Sony Cybershot digicam now, right? Either of the cameras you are considering would be a huge upgrade. Unless you have a specific need for the D200, my recommendation would be to buy the cheaper camera. Use the money you save to buy a good lens or two. In a couple of years, when the price of DSLR's will have dropped, you can upgrade to something better than the D200 for less money.

What are you taking pictures of? What conditions do you take pictures in? What do you want to be able to do that you can't now (with the Cybershot). I think forum members can give more helpful advice if you answer these questions.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 1:20 PM   #3

I typically like to take scenery or landscape pictures. I've recently tried to take action type pictures of family and friends. With the Sony I have it seems as though any time there is any movement taking place the picture comes out blurry. After reading, it is a problem that just about everyone who has the same camera complains of. I would also like to have something that has a more powerful zoom. The camera will be used for day to day pictures as well, but mainly for me to experiment and start taking quality pictures. Mostly landscape.

I've always been really interested in photography, and would just like start having more control over the pictures I take instead of pointing and shooting. I've heard and read the same things from others. . . buy a cheaper camera that will do the job, then spend the extra money on a lens. I'll have to look into lenses more now just to see the difference.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 1:34 PM   #4

townie-

For what it is worth, I have owned both the Nikon D-70 and the Nikon D-50. IMHO the D-50 is a better camera. The D-50 is easy to use as well as easy to learn. There are also a variety of nice and reasonably pricedtelephoto lens available for the D-50. The D-50 was clearly better than my D-70, so I sold the D-70 body.

The D-50 or the D-70 are both cameras you can learn with and grow with. IMHO I have looked at bthe Nikon D-200 and I don't feel that is worth the extra dollars.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 1:55 PM   #5

Here's the peanut gallery chiming in: Lenses, lenses, lenses. Unless money is not an object, buy the D70s and throw on a 18-200 VR lens for $750ish.

Or consider trying to get in on the KM 7d deal with anti-shake buit in and not worry about buying IS in every lens.

Or wait for the Sony replacement for the 5d with anti-shake built in.

If you can afford the D200, you can probably afford a huge compliment of lenses with a lesser body. Once you commit to the line (Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax), those lenses should follow you with an upgraded body.

I own a D50 2 lens kit. I love my Nikon. But my dad's KM 7d arrived Friday and his jaw isn't off the ground yet.

You can learn photography on either of the models you have mentioned, but your investment to accomplish the things you want will ultimately be the lenses.

Good luck,

M
melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 2:56 PM   #6

Hi melt-

Yes, the KM 7D is an impressive camera. I received mine earlier this week and I have been impressed. However, if you follow the http://www.dpreview.com KM SLR Forum, you will see that there is indeed a rapidly growing concern about warranty repairs and service in general,due to anactual lack of parts for both the 7D and the 5D.

The 7D may be a great camera (and I personally think that it is) but if there are no parts and viable servicing it quickly becomes a questionable investment. Sony is focusing a whole lot more on the Sony Alpha introduction, than they are about servicing KM DSLR's already in consumer hands.

My philosophy is that a camera purchase should be well thought out. In the OP's initial post he simply asked if anyone felt that the Nikon D-200 was worth the extra expense. I think that is a very logical question. IMHO, because this is his first DSLR purchase, I would not jump directly to the Nikon D-200. I just don't think it would be worth it, unlesshe has a lot of previous Nikon experience.Why not get your felt wet first, and then move up, if that seems prudent.

There are a lot of DSLR choices out there to consider. Also a very basic decision has to be made concerning IS as well.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:45 PM   #7

Well said MT (as always)...

M
melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:35 PM   #8
rey

I have the D50 and very happy with it. It's a great first DSLR/SLR. If I'm in situation, I would get the D50 and spend more money on lenses. The 18-200VR is a great lens, but don't expect to find one this year.

If you can wait, the D70s replacement (D80???) should be announced in September's Photokina, as well as a couple of other DSLR from other makers. For landscape shots, you may also want to get a really wide lens, like a Nikon or Tokina 12-24 or Sigma 10-20.

Also, landscape shooting tends to require a stable tripod. Decent ones with ballhead starts at around $200. Keep the total costs in mind. Budget for bags, flash, etc.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 5:04 AM   #9

If you're into Nikon then, reading your posts, I think you can go two ways. You can either get the D50 and a good lens like the Nikkor 18-200mm VR or you can wait for the D70s' replacement that is due in a few months time.
I don't think jumping in on the D200 is a good step for you. The D50 is plenty of camera to start with and, as others have put it already, it is better to get the good lenses and upgrade the body later when you can be sure that you can squeeze everything the D200 has to offer more than the D50. Lenses are more worthy of your dough than a body is, especially as this would be your first dSLR, and they also maintain value a lot better than the camera body does.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 5:34 PM   #10

Wow, thanks. This is more than I expected. All this time I've been putting all my research into which camera to buy, and I've neglected the lenses. I purchased a few books today so that I can educate myself with the terms and what I should look for.

From what I've heard here I think I'm going to go with the D70, then search for a good lens. So now I feel as though I'm going to start all over again. Oh well, it will be worth it in the long run. I was looking to spend no more than $2,000 to start with, then go from there. My girlfriend will be happy to hear that I didn't exceed that.

One of the option I was looking at was a package deal that had everything, but now I have to research the lenses to see if it is worth it. Here is the one I was looking at.

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...sku=NKD70SDLKT

Also, what would you recommend as a minimum size for the memory card to be. I would like to eventually take the photos in a RAW format. Once again, thanks for all the help guys. I really do appreciate it.