Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:26 PM   #11

Neat and convenient, MT. Thanks for posting the picture.
PetersP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 4:38 PM   #12

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Good advice, MRB!

The improvements from the Canon S-2 to S-3 were small and not worth the added cost IMHO. Check out the S-2.

MT
MT

So this is where I should jump in and ask about upgrading from a Fuji FinePix S5000 (which I've been extremely happy with) to a Canon S3 IS. I'm not ready for a DSLR either financially or as a photographer. ;-) I'm simply looking for crisper shots that can be printed in a larger size without losing quality. Not that I've been unhappy with what I've done with the Fuji it's just an itch to move up some and justify the cost to my dear wife. LOL

I take a lot of family snapshots but also dabble in wildlife (mostly birds) and some dirt track racing. The latter two require the zoom that I have on my Fuji. I've been looking at the S3 IS with great admiration thinking it's got exactly what I want but don't want to be disappointed after spending nearly $500 when the pictures aren't that much clearer than my Fuji's. Am I making sense here?

I know the S2 IS is about a $100 cheaper but I can afford that if the S3's 6 megapixel sensor can deliver a noticeable difference.

So many camera, so many choices. Where to go. hehe

Thanks for any advice.

Bud

Bud1880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 5:30 PM   #13

Bud-

If it were me, I would purchase the Pentax DL body, get the Pentax $100 rebate, and equip it with a Tamron 28-300mm XR lens (approximate cost $150) and I would have a camera that clearly beats the photo quality of the S2, S-3, and the FZ-7. Just my $0.02 cents worth.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:03 PM   #14

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Bud-

If it were me, I would purchase the Pentax DL body, get the Pentax $100 rebate, and equip it with a Tamron 28-300mm XR lens (approximate cost $150) and I would have a camera that clearly beats the photo quality of the S2, S-3, and the FZ-7. Just my $0.02 cents worth.

MT
Thanks MT, somehow I knew you would say something like that.;-) After reading all of the above and from reading a few books on digital photography of late I know that a DSLR will get the better picture.

If you don't mind I'd like to inquire further about DSLR's. Originally when I was considering a new camera I had my eye on a Canon Digital Rebel XT but considering the lenses I would need/want, well....the cost was just too much. Is that cost differential based on picture quality? I know the Rebel is 8 megapixels and the Pentax DL is 6 but is that worth the money or are we talking about a relatively insignificant difference much like you described between the S2 and S3?

Just curious because now I'm back to step 1. LOL

Bud
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:28 PM   #15

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
equip it with a Tamron 28-300mm XR lens (approximate cost $150)
Where is this lens selling for $150? I am on the verge of getting a DL considering the price it's at and that lens sounds too good to be that much!
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:30 PM   #16

Bud-

The difference in the 6mp of the Pentax DL and the Canon XT is really not a big deal. And I can make that statement because my husband owns a Canon XT and we have seriously have compared images.

Speaking just for me and from my own photo taking experience with the camera, I don't like either the Canon XT's grip or the viewfinder. The grip is too small or "pinched" as I call it. I just don't feel that I have a secure grip on the camera. The viewfinder does not use a pentaprism, instead it uses a mirror system. When I use that Canon XT viewfinder, I feel like I am looking down a long darkened hallway.

In contrast the Pentax DS and DL feel really right in hand and the viewfinder is much improved over the Canon XT. Add to those factors that the Pentax DL with kit lens is selling for as low as $411 and Pentax is offering a $100 rebate, that excellent lenses like the Tamron 28-300mm XR lens for the Pentax DL costs less than $150 and you have a very powerful package that is worth checking out.

MT
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:04 PM   #17

MT,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. Appreciated.

Bud
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:05 PM   #18

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
the Pentax DL with kit lens is selling for as low as $411
Where exactlyare you finding these prices? That is well below the current listings I am finding...for both the Tamrac you listed and the DL w/ lens. I must be missing something.......
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:24 PM   #19

SW-

The $411 Pentax DL can be found at butterflyphoto, and the Tamron 28-300mm XR lens is available at Beach Camera. Just go to www.pricegrabber.com and check it out.

MT