Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:38 AM   #1

I'm just getting into photography. I'm thinking this camera will be a gateway to learning more about digital photgraphy overall and eventually maybe a true DSLR camera.

What I expect to take pictures most of are wildlife (possibly fast moving) and sports oriented stuff. From recent experience with my little Kodak EasyShare burst mode and image stabilization are very important.

From reading and researching so far I've narrowed things down to the 3S IS or the FZ7. The Canon right now has a slight edge due to less noise and seems like it might be better for action shots. The downside is the FZ7 is ~$100 cheaper. I'm not sure if the slightly better optics in the Canon will make a huge difference in the kinds of action shots I'm likely to do.

Any advice/pointers? Thanks!
evenprimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:42 PM   #2

evenprimes-

Most wildlife and sports photographers use 400 to 500mm lenses. While the FZ-7 and S-3 are good P&S cameras, they are not DSLR cameras because they do not have interchangable lenses.

With the $100 rebate being offered by Pentax, on thePentax DL perhaps that camera should be included in your list of cameras to consider. The new Pentax K100D, being introduced this month will also have image stabilization.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:59 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback. I know the FZ7 and 3S IS aren't true DSLRs. Right now I think my time and money will be better spent on a 'high-end' P&S. I don't have the $$ for even the Pentax (although it does look nice and I think I'd be better off learning a bit more before spending too much money.

This will be a "first" camera for me. Right now the reason I have my EasyShare is that it came for free with my laptop, so I really have a lot of learing to do. I'd like to learn with a camera that if I drop in water I won't feel suicidally bad. ;-> The ~$400 Canon is about as much as I can take right now.

E
evenprimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 2:01 PM   #4

evenprimes-

I commend you! I think that is a very logical and common sense approach. Check with your local Community College. Many are offering great Digital Camera classes where you could learn a lot. Currently I am teach for both my local Community College, and for my State University. There is a great deal to be learned and it can be done in your spare time and a low cost.

MT
Old Jul 16, 2006, 3:52 PM   #5

Hello evenprimes,

As a newbie, I cannot really offer advice as which camera to buy, but I want to say that you are on the right track.

I was in the same boat a few months ago, deciding what to buy to start withdigital photography. I bought Rebel XT with several lenses, but I found out that I wouldprefer something lighter that I can carry with me at all times - I caught myself leaving the heavy bag at home - and what's the point in having the camera in the house and missing taking interesting shots?

I think that learning with high-end P&S is a good way to go. After a while you can decide which road to take - you can alwaysupgrade to DSLR.

Good luck on your photographic journey.

PetersP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:36 PM   #6

PetersP-

That is good input and I happen to agree with you completely. A camera is to use, not to be left home or in storage somewhere. Each person should know how big a kit they really need or want to carry on a daily basis.

My camera bag also doubles asmy purse and itcontains a DSLR and 2 P&S cameras (a Fuji F-30 and a Panasonic TZ-1) and a slave flash that can be used with any of the three cameras. I don't mind the weight and the kit works well for me on an everyday basis.

Knowing what you want to and how much to carry is a key element. You only get better with your photography by practicing it on an everyday basis. Even concert pianists have to practice. So always follow your inclinations.

MT (Sarah)
Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:08 PM   #7

Ahh, camera bags! As I am slightly paranoid and don't want to call attention to my equipment, I converted my old, worn out backpack into camera bag. Better padding, inserts here and there :-)and I am good to go.

MT, if you don't mind me asking, what type of camera bag are you using?
PetersP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:50 PM   #8

PetersP-

I am using a Sumdex videocam bag.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:05 PM   #9
mrb

Since it sounds as though you may be looking at spending the money on a DSLR after a year or so, you may also want to consider the Canon S2 IS. I bought one in April for $284 US. As noted in some threads here, the features are very similar to the S3 IS. Good Luck!
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:18 PM   #10

Good advice, MRB!

The improvements from the Canon S-2 to S-3 were small and not worth the added cost IMHO. Check out the S-2.

MT