Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:48 PM   #1

Hi Dudes,
I am in search of a BETTER Digital Camera that can satisfy my optimum requirements.
I am kind of a beginner but want a good digital camera to start with.

So, now I landed up here to get sophisticated opinions of experts who can suggest me a digital camera to buy.

My Requirements:

Budget:
15000 INR - 20000 INR ($330 USD - $440 USD)

Features:
5 to 6 Megapixel
6 to 8 to 10x Optical Zoom
Image Quality is very Important to me (8/10)
Night Mode/Low Light Photos/Indoor Photos should be better quality; this is my HIGH Priority
I DONT Care for manual controls

General usage:
All types of photography (Indoor/Nature/Outdoor/Macro Close Up/Zoom etc)
Only 5" X 6" Prints is Enough
Indoor and Low Light photography
Preferable sports and actions (not necessary though)

I prefer NIKON/CANON models (Any other better than nikon/canon are also OK)

Hoping to get replies

Thanks
- Vikas DK ([email protected])

vikas.kulkarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:25 PM   #2

You wont find a nikon with over 5x optical zoom unless if you buy it used.

Canon, the only camera they have is the IS series. I heard many great reviews on it, but I never used it before. The main selling point is the image stablizer and a lot of people love the ablity to zoom while recording movie.

If low light is high priority and if you dont want a dSLR, then the Fuji s5200/s5600 would be a great camera for you. It is 5mp, 12x optical zoom. I am kinda biased on this camera because I used to own one. But I believe that fuji has one of the best sensor for shooting in low light for point and shoot camera. You can find this camera for about $300 US, I dont know how much over there. Fuji just upgraded this camera and sell for about $500US in September 06.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:30 PM   #3

thanks for ur reply superkauna...

i will think abt the Fuji * since many people are suggesting these models.....

but do u think Fuji is hardcore manufacturers in camera compared to canon/nikon ?

i am really grateful to ur reply

thanks

Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:51 PM   #4

I dont know what you mean by hardcore, I dont think Fuji bulleys other camera manufacture or anything.:lol: they are not a as popular as canon/nikon but that dont make them a bad company. Just because the brand is more popular dont mean they are always better.

The only thing that I didnt like about the Fuji was the type of card that they used. They used the xD card which at the time was more expensive then the SD card. They are still more expensive then SD, but the price of the xD card has came down to be a reasonable priced. The 512mb card goes for about $30. Not as cheap as SD but still pretty cheap. The 512mb card will get you about 230 picture in best jpeg quality.

One of the best thing that I liked about the camera was the ablity to use AA battery. I was able to pick up 8 AA 2500mah battery and a charger for $20 total! That is 2 sets of battery and charger for $20. I got close to 500 shots per charge because I did a lot of rapid shot. But you should be able to get about 350+ shots under normal use.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:15 AM   #5

superakuma,

I have few more Qs.

I agree with all ur comments, but since i am resident of INDIA, my only concern would be, the servicing/spare parts etc of the FUJI camera

I find very less shops who can provide me a FUJI cam

so, wht do u suggest?

Whats ur opinion about Fuji Finepix F10? Is this a latest model or how many months old?

Also I have concern abt Canon powershot A700; wht do u think abt this?

SORRY FOR SO MANY QUESTIONS, but I want to be extra Careful Please take time to reply me.....

Thanks
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:38 AM   #6

The fuji f10 is their older model, last year's (april of 05) and they have the new f30 which should be a lot better from what I read. I never used any of those camera so I cant give you much feed back from it. But a lot of f10 user like to brag about the great shots at really high ISO that other point and shoot camera cant match without photoshop. The f10/f30 wont give you the zoom that you want.

I have no idea about the service in India, I cant help you with that.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:55 AM   #7

Thanks a lot superakuma

ur replies has helped me think better in buying a digicam

i am really grateful to u

byeee :-)
Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:09 AM   #8

If you can wait on it, you can get the Fuji S6500 that is soon to be released on the market. If not and you are satisfied with a more pocketable camera, than by all means go for the Fuji F30. You can't get it wrong with either of them.
Cheers!

P.S. I would hold out and wait for the S6500 because as things look right now, it will be one helluva camera combining the low noise levels of the F10-F11-F30 and the wide to tele 10x optical zoom lens of the S9000.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote