Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:57 AM   #11

Adam-

As this process evolves, you will, at some point have to go to a camera shop or store and handle the DSLR's that we have discussed. That is where my biggest objection to the Canon 350D/XT will become apparent to you. The XT has a small body, and at least to me, I feel the the grip is very pinched or small. In fact, small enough that the XT does not feel very stable in my hands. No doubt, this is a personal preference, for me, but it is an important to be aware of, if I was seriously considering the camera.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 4:02 PM   #12

I just had a play with:

Olympus E-500 - Nice camera, well made and well equipped - 8 MP - £450 ($822)single lens and battery.

Nikon D-50 - Very nice piece of kit. Smaller display than the Olympus or Pentax but not bad. 6.1 MP - £550 ($1004) with high speed Sandisk 1GB card + Tamron 70-300mm EXTRA lens (includes original Nikon 18-55mm lens).

Pentax *ist DL2 - A good camera with nice clear displays, well made but not as substantial as the other two. - 6 MP - £350 ($639) with no batteries or media and a single 18-55mm lens.

Of course these were only quick tests, i didn't have the opportunity to see the real results but I did get a hands-on impression, idea of build quality etc.

One thing I did notice was how easy it was to take a perfect picture indoors without a flash

I also held a 350D and was very underwelmed how awkward it felt, and also how small the display was.

Technology has come a long way since my Fujifilm

AdamPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 4:50 PM   #13

Adam-

If you like the Olympus E-500, the earlier E-300 is also currently available on ebay at a lesser and a very attractive price. That is also a possibility. The E-300 is also an 8mp camera.

I own an E-300 and here is a photo example from the E-300.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jul 18, 2006, 4:59 PM   #14

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Adam-

If you like the Olympus E-500, the earlier E-300 is also currently available on ebay at a lesser and a very attractive price. That is also a possibility. The E-300 is also an 8mp camera.

I own an E-300 and here is a photo example from the E-300.

MT
A lovely shot, unfortunately the E-300 doesn't seem to be available in the UK

Edit: No sorry it is, but is none on Ebay and is more expensive to buy retailthan the E-500

Old Jul 18, 2006, 5:25 PM   #15

Adam-

I am surprised because there is a UK promotion going on at: www.experienceolympus.co.uk

On the USA ebay right now there is an E-300 two lens kit (the Olympus 14-45mm and the 40-150mm lenses)available for around $370 (approximately 200 GBP), with the bidding to end in about 11 hours.

MT
Old Jul 18, 2006, 5:50 PM   #16

Sorry, that link doesn't work for me....

I'd rather avoid shipping from the US to avoid complication. UK ebay have only a few E-300's and seem to be as expensive as the E-500's regardless, go figure.

I hope I don't sound like I'm being ungrateful because you've been a huge help thus far
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:25 PM   #17

Adam-

I apologize for the inop link. I was just attempting to help. I understand the results of your research, as well as your feelings about shipping from the USA.

Good luck in your search, I hope that you find the camera you desire. Perhaps the E-500 is the better choice. I was just attempting to say you some money.

MT
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:28 PM   #18

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Adam-

I apologize for the inop link. I was just attempting to help. I understand the results of your research, as well as your feelings about shipping from the USA.

Good luck in your search, I hope that you find the camera you desire. Perhaps the E-500 is the better choice. I was just attempting to say you some money.

MT
Please don't apologise, I very much appreciate your help. The best advice you gave me was to go handle the cameras. I've decided I'm going to go pick up a D50 tomorrow.

Thanks again for so much help
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:34 PM   #19

That is great news, Adam!

Also think about getting that Magic Lantern guide as well. I thought it was very well done and I learned a lot about the D-50 by using it.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jul 19, 2006, 9:05 AM   #20

I've been speaking to a good friend and he says that if I can overcome issues with the shape of the Canon it would be a much better buy.

This wouldn't cost a great deal more than the Nikon so I'm thinking it would be a better choice?