Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:04 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm considering buying a D50 after reading a lot of good things about them. Would a D50 be a big jump from the S602?

Obviously the quality of the lenses and the ability to change is a big benefit over the Fujifilm, but the S602 has some tidy features despite it's age, is still 6 MP and has a X6 optical zoom.

Opinions would be welcomed
AdamPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:34 PM   #2

adam-

In the last six months there has been a large scale migration from P&S cameras to DSLR's. The majority of those folks are buying the Canon 350D/XT, the Nikon D-50, the Pentax DS/DL, the Olympus E-500, or the KM 5D/7D. The large number of folks that have made that transition testify to the fact that it is really not a difficult change.

Moving from a Fuji S-602 to the Nikon D-50 would be a very logical move. The D-50 is an easy to learn camera and also offers a real photographic growing opportunity as well. I would reccommend an excellent book to help the transition: Magic Lantern Guides: The Nikon D-50.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 5:10 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply. I'm looking to buy this camera here in the UK (we pay a hell of a lot more for most electrical items over here). The camera will cost me around $550 (£300+), would this be the best camera to progress to in this price range?
Old Jul 17, 2006, 5:15 PM   #4

Adam-

You might want to investigate the Pentax DL. It is less costly here in the USA, and also, in addition,here in the USA, Pentax is offereing a $100 rebate on purchases of either the Pentax DL body or Pentax DL camera with kit lens. That might save you some money.

MT
Old Jul 17, 2006, 5:21 PM   #5

Would this be better or on a par with the D-50?

This one?
Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:26 PM   #6

Adam-

The Pentax DL would roughly be on a par with the Nikon D-50. One very nice thing about the Pentax DSLR cameras is that they can easily use any of the older K-mount Pentax lenses, which are often found in ebay. Your link to ebay was the correct camera.

MT
Old Jul 17, 2006, 7:00 PM   #7

Would this make the Pentax a better purchase? Are Pentax lenses more affordable/as good as Nikon?
Old Jul 17, 2006, 8:31 PM   #8

Adam-

Please understand that the selection of Nikon and Canon Brand lenses will always be wider. However, Pentax offers good selection of lens. Third party Optics Makers, such as Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron also produce a large selection of lenses for Pentax SLR cameras.

To me personally, yes, the fact that you can draw selection on a wide used market of both auto and manual lensesmake adding a lens a good deal less expensive. I hapen to own both the Pentax DS and the Nikon D-50 as I am a professional digital camera instructor for our state university. I use and enjoy both cameras equally.

A good number of folks coming over from P&S cameras to the Pentax are usually quite happy with the kit lens and the Pentax 50-200mm telephoto. The typical Nikon starter package is the kit lens and the Nikon 55-200mm lens. If you are going to acquire a large selection of lens over time, then it is a wise idea to carefully consider the lenses available in that "family" or brand name, or third party vendors.

I sincerely believe that either of the two cameras we have discussed today will produce measurably better photos than you are currently working with and will serve you well for many years.

MT

Old Jul 17, 2006, 8:42 PM   #9

I think either camera would be suitable for you. Opinion is divided about which is better.

I think some of the new prime lenses are slightly cheaper for Nikon. The 3rd party (Tamron, Sigma, etc.) lenses seem to be about the same.

I bought a F1.4 Autofocus prime lens for my Pentax *ist DS. It was about $220 minus a $50 mail in rebate.

One advantage of the DL, in my eyes, is that it uses regular AA batteries. I use rechargeables, but in a pinch you can use non-rechargeables, available almost anywhere.

Anyway, good luck! I think you will be very happy with your new camera.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:19 AM   #10

The obivous next step up is the 350D, but is it worth hundreds more?