Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:54 AM   #11

Phenixburn wrote:
Quote:
Some other things I have to add.
How important is the MP count? Is there a huge difference in quality from 6 MP to 8?, or from 8MP to 10?
I was told (by a salesperson) that getting serious about photography meant buying a brand new dgital camera every year, to keep up with the current industry standards in quality. I see this as a rediculous ploy, to get me to continue to spend money there, but is there any truth to this? Or can I hope to get a few years out of my new Digital SLR before giving it the axe?

thanks
phenixburn - if you think megapixels mean anything, read this- that salesman was feeding you complete BS - unless you're a pro, or consistently make 20x30" or larger posters, you're wasting money buying more MPs - heck, i'll take a 6mp dslr over canons 8mp on the same sensor anyday.

http://www.dansdata.com/gz059.htm
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 4:20 PM   #12

Thank you for sending that link, that article on Megapixels was what I needed to read., in fact I think that article should be read by every potential camera buyer.
I am assuming that anyone wanting to blow up their photos to a large size, either have a very high pixel count (above 12MP?), or they are sticking with 35mm film?
I would like to buy a camera that gives me the option to blow my images up to a decent large size. I have already had one photography show, but all the images were nothing larger than 8x12, for the next one I would like to do a few larger peices. Any advice on whether I should continue to use my 35mm for these "potential" blown up shots? Or whether there is a digital cam that will meet my needs?

Phenixburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 4:28 PM   #13
Administrator

I've got 8x10" prints from a 2 Megapixel camera hanging on the wall, that in my opinion, look just as good as the prints from 35mm film hanging right beside them at normal viewing distances.

Suggested reading:

3 Megapixel Canon EOS-D30 versus Provia 100F

6 Megapixel Canon EOS-D60 compared to Medium Format

If you're not printing much larger than 8x10" (and most users don't), I really wouldn't worry about Megapixels.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 4:32 PM   #14

JimC wrote:
Quote:
If you're not printing much larger than 8x10" (and most users don't), I really wouldn't worry about Megapixels.

My God, Jim! Are you saying you disagree with the people abounding who say Canon must release a 12mp consumer camera in September or digital photography in the Canon line will grind to a halt? That's blasphemy. I thought MP was the single most important factor in digital photography :-?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 5:26 PM   #15
Administrator

Megapixels is the most important thing... if you care about having the highest megapixel camera, versus one that can take good pictures in more conditions. lol

After all, you wouldn't want your neighbor showing you their 10 Megapixel Pocket camera and wondering why your DSLR has *only* 8 Megapixels. ;-)

I think Canon made a smart decision limiting their new EOS-30D to 8 Megapixels, despite the "moans and groans" I see in forum posts.

They valued better high ISO speed performance more. I wish Sony and Nikon would feel the same way.

Nikon is already getting ready to launch their newest 10MP DSLR (probably because Sony is already shipping theirs). See the flash presentation at the top of the page:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:18 PM   #16

This may be an easier task...

Currently I have narrowed it down to 2 cameras...

Canon EOS 30D

or

Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D

Any advice on which would be the better buy?

Thanks for the input

Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:16 PM   #17

Because of the current pricing of the KM 7D, I would consider it to be the "better buy".

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"There are devotees of each brand. I own two Minolta's (one film, and the 5M dslr). As far as quality, I would consider thebodiesa toss up.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"My best suggestion.... try them out... how they feel to your hand, placement of buttons, weight, balance etc.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 2:24 PM   #18

Thanks for your insight, I will look into the KM 7D then.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 2:50 PM   #19

The only thing I can add is. If you have a store that carries the cameras you are interested in, try them out, hold them and get the general feel of eack camera. Make your decision, get the price and then check the internet pricing. You can usually save quite a bit by purchasing on the web from a reptuable dealer.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 3:19 AM   #20
Super Moderator

Oh boy. The 7D? Still?

When I was looking at my first DSLR a couple of years ago it came down to a choice between the 7D and the Canon 20D. Just about every comparison agreed that the Canon was a better camera in just about every department.

The KM7D has built in anti-shake.

In every other department the Canon is marginally to quite significantly better. It has higher resolution, less noise, deeper buffer, faster shot-to-shot times, much better AF (in all reviews and in my brief hands-on with the 7D), the advantage of still having the company that made it in business, etc etc.

That was compared to the Canon 20D, which has been replaced now by the 30D which is a slightly better camera in most respects compared to the 20D.

I know JimC is a big KM fan, but KM is gone - you're in Sony's hands now. The 7D and 5D were going to be the cameras that rescued KM; unfortunately Canon had the 20D and there were a bunch of great entry-level cameras that the 5D didn't do so well against.

The 7D is selling at bargain prices, but think about that for a moment. Are selling so cheap (and there are still stocks available even after 18 months of very low discounts) because they're great cameras?

If you've really narrowed it down to the Canon 30D or the KM7D then it's a no-brainer; the Canon is streets ahead.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote