Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 25, 2006, 3:58 AM   #21

Wow, one hell of a rebuttal. Score 1 for the Canon 30D.
I have been reading a lot of info on this site, and you all have great opinions and well informed insight. The Canon 30D is still abit pricey, but truthfully, I am not going to concern myself with how much a camera is, passion is passion, and I can always work a bit harder to make it happen.
I looked into the 7D, and it is easy to find on the net and almost impossible to find in a store ( I live in Canada). I will however go to a camera store and check out all of their stock and compare it to a few reviews and make my opinion.
Seeing as how I live in the Rockies, I need a rugged camera to say the least.

Thanks for youe comments,

Phenixburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:53 PM   #22
Administrator

If you want to pay twice as much to buy a Canon EOS-30D and still not have anti-shake with every lens, it's your money. ;-)

The Canon is a faster camera. If your'e planning on shooting sports, the 5 frames per second (versus 3 frames per second with a 7D) might come in handy.

Personally, I don't need that kind of speed and would value the anti-shake more.

BTW, here are some good articles on the KM 7D that you may want to read through by Mike Johnston (a professional photographer and writer):

He was so impressed with his 7D that he devotedsome of hisweekly Sunday Morning Photographer articles to it (a discontinued series now, but Mike was writing this weekly column for a long time).

Catch the Rave!

The Tale told by Two Pictures

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:12 AM   #23
Super Moderator

I admire Mike Johnston a lot, but those articles were written around the time when the 7D and 20D were just being released and to my knowledge he had not tested the 20D when he got hooked on the 7D.

There may well be some people who would still prefer the 7D, everyone has different needs and desires, and brand loyalty (although to a now dead company) is even a good enough reason to choose the 7D.

But there are a great many reasons for not choosing it over the 30D, and it's NOT just about high-speed shooting. The 30D is a better camera in just about every feature you might care to list.

The exception is the anti-shake issue, where the balance generally tips in favour of the 7D, it's not an entirely one-way street however, there are advantages to having your Image Stabilisation in the lens not the body as you know.

Over time for example will you be changing your (digital) body more or less frequently than your lenses? It is often cited that suddenly ALL your lenses get IS, but if you're buying high-grade lenses, which you expect to last for many years,you might turn it around and say all your CAMERAS get IS.

There is certainly an advantage to having the stabiliser in the lens too in that you see a stabilised image in the viewfinder, which can help a lot when judging what shutter speed is going to be necessary to avoid camera shake.

Any perceived advantage has to be balanced against the 30D's 1-1.5 stop advantage in high ISO performance too. And once again

All DSLRs madein the last couple of years have been pretty good, but they are still improving gradually, and the 7D certainly didn't get rave reviews when it was released. In the UK the photography magazines pretty much universally thought it was "average" compared to the competition, and the 20D was much better. The 30D is better still.

If it had really been that good the public would have bought it by the truckload and KM would still be in business. If you can wait for a bit why not consider the new Sony Alpha?Which isessentially a 7D upgrade (2 years on)with a higher resolution sensor, better image processor, solvent company, etc.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 5:13 PM   #24

You wouldn't think that buying anything would be as involved as buying a digital camera. I will admit, I was getting sucked into the hype-machine. Last year I thought the 20D was the camera I needed to have, this year it seems all about the vast improvements of the 30D over my once drooled over 20D, and if I wait another week, chances are I will be wide eyed and anxious over the 40D or some new and improved model.
Like any aspiring professional, I feel the need to sometimes skip over anything that has "amateur" or "Entry-class" attached to it, fearing that I may not be able to create pictures as good as the ones that have inspired me to do photography in the first place.
I find myself wondering whether or not the 30D's improvements over the 20D's matter to me at this level? All I want is great looking pictures that any of you would be proud to hang on your wall, and I would feel good about showing to the public.
After reading all of your "great" responses I have come to the conclusion, that perhaps it is not about having the newest model with the highest this or the fastest that (although those are always great things to have the best of), and maybe until I have earned the right to play with the big boys I should keep away from trying to act like one and buy the camera best suited to what I know? Being a musician as well, I dislike when people think that they can buy there way into the lifestyle just because they want to talk shop with those they admire. We all have to, and should, pay our dues. So with all that being said, I am purchasing my camera tomorrow, and there are only three choices that I have.
If in your professional opinions I am right about the 30D being a bit over my level at this point, then the other two choices are between the Canon 20D or the Rebel XT?

Any opinions as to which one blows the other out of the water? (With my research it would seem like the 20D is the way to go, but hey, it doesn't hurt to get another opinion right?).

Once again, thanks for the help,
Ryan

Old Aug 7, 2006, 5:30 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Go to a shop and pick them up.

Choose the one that feels like you will like shooting with it.

Don't feel guilty about buying a nice camera for heaven's sake!
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:38 PM   #26

5fps makes me giddy every time I pull the trigger!!! :G
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:46 PM   #27

I could see how 5fps would make anyone giddy. I have tried out both the Rebel and the 20D, in feel alone the 20D puts the Rebel to shame. I will purchase the 20D...now to find that sweet macro, wide angle and telephoto lens?
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:55 AM   #28

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Megapixels is the most important thing... if you care about having the highest megapixel camera, versus one that can take good pictures in more conditions. lol

After all, you wouldn't want your neighbor showing you their 10 Megapixel Pocket camera and wondering why your DSLR has *only* 8 Megapixels. ;-)

I think Canon made a smart decision limiting their new EOS-30D to 8 Megapixels, despite the "moans and groans" I see in forum posts.

They valued better high ISO speed performance more. I wish Sony and Nikon would feel the same way.

Nikon is already getting ready to launch their newest 10MP DSLR (probably because Sony is already shipping theirs). See the flash presentation at the top of the page:

http://nikonimaging.co
Quote:
Hi Jim, Are you referring to the D200 or is Nikon coming out with another 10.2 mega pixel camera? Ken
Quote:
ken6217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:19 AM   #29
Administrator

ken6217

It's not exactly a secret that Nikon is releasing a new 10.2MP DSLR. They've been announcing this for the past 19 days on their web sites. Watch the flash presentation (1 day to go).

http://nikonimaging.com/global/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:45 AM   #30

Just read a test of the new Sony dSLR. Interesting that, as JimC has already stated, the high ISO performance is quite poor. Like Olympus the pixel density is having an impact on image quality. I am not a Canon fan, nor a Nikon fan, I own a Pentax dSLR. I also applaud Canon for resisting the mindless megapixel race and I think that the evolutionary changes made by Canon and Pentax over the last couple of years are worth mentioning. The Pentax K100D may not fit into this discussion but it does have improved jpeg priocessing, Anti Shake in the body, 11 point AF, DOF preview, mirror lockup and other fine features at a bargain price with a tried and true 6MP chip.With thousands of excellent old lenses available cheapat auctions this may very well be theperfect camera for us poor guys.

Good discussion, I mention Pentax knowing that they represent the low end of the market, but believing they are at least worth mentioning.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote