Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 19, 2006, 5:35 PM   #1

So I need a digital camera that has a remote, cord or no cord, doesn't matter. But I also need the camera to be at least 7 megapixels too, as specified by the IT boys here at work.

Anyone know what my options are? We have to mount this in kind of a crazy fashion too to take pics of our notebook pages, one by one. So we'd want the camera not to be too big either, that's why I'd rather stay away from SLR's as they are generally a lot bigger and heavier.

HELP!

Thanks!
Ginbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2006, 1:03 AM   #2

This remote works with some current Olympus Stylus cameras. One of the people who wrote a review says it works with his Stylus 800 and it is listed in Steve's specs. There are several Stylus models that are compact with 7 and 8Mp sensors. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...ndition=new%2F You might check for a sensor on any model you are interested in. Find one that suits you and contact Olympus to confirm it can use the remote. The Stylus 800 would probably suit your needs.

Many Pentax cameras also have remote sensors and the control is a little cheaper: http://www.opticsplanet.net/penzoomlsrem.html# The A10 looks like it has a remote sensor on the front but it isn't a very highly recommended camera for general use. It might be great for your purposes though. It is about the only small Pentax with over 6Mp.

Several older Olympus cameras came with a remote. But I don't think anything with 7Mp or higher comes with one.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 4:34 AM   #3

The Olympus C-8080 (8 MP) came with a cordless remote.
PhotoFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:05 AM   #4

PhotoFusion wrote:
Quote:
The Olympus C-8080 (8 MP) came with a cordless remote.
The operative words are "came with" and "comes with". Do you know of anything that currently comes with a remote? It is a pity they stopped including them on the smaller cameras.

It is also a pity Oly doesn't make anything comparable to the 8080 anymore – it is a great camera. Maybe a little much for copying notebook pages. You can still find new ones but they cost a fortune now that the supply has dried up.

Does your 8080 have sensors both front and back? The old C40 had both sensors but they dropped the rear sensor on the small cameras after that. A rear sensor would be handy for copy work.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:58 AM   #5
E.T

So intention is to put camera on tripod or why remote is needed? Well, maybe they want to have two hands available for keeping notebook open.

And IT department wants to make big prints or for what they need at least 7 megapixels?
I think that if it's just digitizing notes for storing them in digital form instead of paper little lesser amount would be enough.

At least Oly's site says that one IR remote they have is compatible with Stylus 800.
But I wonder what are they talking with need to activate "remote control mode"?
Well, maybe camera would otherwise trigger every time when it detects some IR transmitter.

KonicaMinolta A200 included infrared remote but camera has been discontinued (and Sony bought KM's camera business) so you propably wouldn't find new ones.
Yet older (but more feature rich) KonicaMinolta A2 has optional wired remote but with same hassle you could just connect USB-cable and control camera with PC.

Also at least older Canon Powershot G-models had infrared remote... that camera serie has also been discontinued.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote