Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:33 AM   #51

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Ikki-

If my memory serves me correctly, this is the first posting in quite awhile. Welcome!Thanks for posting a lovely set of photos. I certainly do agree with you that the Sigma 18-200mm lens works very well indeed with both the KM 5D and the 7D.

Meanstreak had asked about perspective control, and this lovely set of yours certainly put any qualms to rest rather securely.

MT
Hmmmmm.... the 18-200mm Sigma might make a great alternative to walking around with the 28-300mm Tamron as long as one is willing to give up a little range.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:40 AM   #52

Meanstreak-

You can have the Sigma 18-200mm AND the Tamron 28-300mm, with one lens on your 5D and one lens on your 7D. I have both lenses and really make use of them both quite nicely.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:08 AM   #53

Meanstreak, when you say 'giving up a little range', I find that it is the wide end that I use the most, although it is useful to have the range at the long end otherwise why would I use an 18-200mm as a walkaround lens.

I would be prepared to trade even more at the long end for an opening up to say 16mm (24mm equiv) or even slightly less at the wide end. e.g. a 16-180mm lens (24-270mm equiv).
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:56 PM   #54

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Meanstreak-

You can have the Sigma 18-200mm AND the Tamron 28-300mm, with one lens on your 5D and one lens on your 7D. I have both lenses and really make use of them both quite nicely.

MT
I don't always have the ability to carry both, though that is one of the reasons I have both the 7D and 5D. I could also carry one body and two lenses. It depends on what I am shooting. I can usually tell in advance what will work for the day.

Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:57 PM   #55

Ikki wrote:
Quote:
Meanstreak, when you say 'giving up a little range', I find that it is the wide end that I use the most, although it is useful to have the range at the long end otherwise why would I use an 18-200mm as a walkaround lens.

I would be prepared to trade even more at the long end for an opening up to say 16mm (24mm equiv) or even slightly less at the wide end. e.g. a 16-180mm lens (24-270mm equiv).
I don't disagree with you... I'm learning to like the wider lenses.

Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:59 PM   #56

meanstreak-

It is always nice to see a wideangle convert.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote