Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:19 AM   #21

Melt and Interested-

Many folks carry both a DSLR and what is referred to as a "pocket camera", just as you suggested, Melt. The pocket camera covers those situations where you only have a very brief amount of time to get off a shot to record a scene or an idea that you want to work on later.

The DSLR shots are more relaxed and you spend a minute or two seeking the right light or the correct angle, you might call them archival shots. But then,rather soon, you find yourself reaching first for the DSLR because of it great capability. In the process, it strangly becomes less heavy, and less large, and much better at recording the scene. Or at least, that is how it has worked out for me.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:15 PM   #22

MT - I agree that the DSLR quickly becomesunobtrusive both in size and weight - and in truth I think it just becomes natural and even desirable so much of the time. There's just no feeling like holding the body and feeling the lens respond as you frame the shot.

interested - Aside from the portability issue, and with the caveat that I know some folks here have taken great shots with p&s, I just think you will be 'in-love' with DSLR. You will have the best of both worlds - use auto and let the brilliant cameras work their magic, or dial in the user controlled settings and reach beyond your wildest dreams. Of course, the choice of lenses reach no bounds and you may enjoy as I do, lusting after your 'next' lens. How long before a local store gets a K100d?

You are doing a great job on your hands on research. You are very lucky to have found a helpful and patient high school clerk. I have every confidence that you will find 'your' camera or cameras solution.

Lastly, you have raised a question about in-body stabilization versus in-lense stabilization that I don't remember seeing debated. I am anxious to read the debate and am tempted to get you to create a new thread to draw in the debaters :-). Maybe JimC who has a KM 5d or the other great members will give us some enlightenment. MT owns both the Nikon D50 and KM5d but I can't remember if I've seen Nikon pictures with VR but I think so. All I know is that my general sense is that the KM users and the Nikon users with VR lenses take beautiful pictures and are very happy. I too have sensed thata major factor in the debate is how much more economical the in-body versus in-lense IS is for most of us. For me, a VR lense is a distant dream, yet I love my D50. For me the debate was canon rebel vs d50 and once I held it in the store, I had no doubt. At least you know the IS is important for you because in your anticipated situations you KNOW that you will not have the option (time)to set up a tripod to overcome some handheld issues for which IS is a solution. I know you are way ahead of me on most suggestions, but I encourage you again to go to some of the brand based forums here and follow some threads (even if they don't seem pertinent to your particular question) and see the shots posted illustrating the cameras and lenses. I am thinking of the thread for KM in which the users helped me decide on a lens for my dad. It was so enlightening.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=84&page=1

Good luck and I'm going to stay quiet here for a little while since I've now rambled even more. I love the way MT is so succinct and gets to the heart of the question - with actual real helpful information! As a teacher and practicing photographer just published in NG I believe, we all benefit from the experience and knowledge. Hey, at least you're not going to be like the students she mentioned who get to the cruise class reading the manual on a camera they just bought .

M
melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:54 PM   #23

I was just reading a forum on body vs lense stablization

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=93

however, it was a couple of months old. I am starting to do a google search - there must be some articles out there. Shipboard radar system - especially firecontrol and aircraft targeting systems have the same problem and the various design elements must have been worked out. I just have not had the interest in photography until lately, that I have actually thought about it.

The sales girl's take on the stablization issue and she did seem pretty knowledgeable was that the lense based stablization operated on the image prior to laying it down on the ccd sensor, as opposed to the body systems that physically moves the sensor around thus is an additional source of noise. It has the ring of reason, but I would like to see some comparisions. I just read that SLR stablization systems have been around since 1985, so this should be a pretty dead topic - one would think.

I have sort of developed a system - taking one all inclusive shot, and then flipping the camera and taking 2 to 7 panaroama shorts for stitching later. Originally I wanted to do vertical stitching, but the software did not handle that, so I stuck with what it woud handle. Now I am finding the software that will handle it, so lets say comming upon a shot, either an exterior or interior (large hallway in some palace or something) a couple of standard shorts ant then several pan short like -
12 123
34 or 456
56 or 123456
Now after getting back from Alaska, my wife has put us on a strict budget (there was a target of opportunity purchase that I went ahead and got for her that was unplanned that she had been wanting for years - usually on an anniversary), so its going to be a few of months till I can pick up what ever the selection is.

My wife is still looking at me crosseyed as to why I am doing all of this - her view is that her 4MP Kodak does great for her dogs and guinea pigs

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 2:56 PM   #24

Gordon and Melt-

What is the old adage: art is in the eye of the beholder. I am referring to your previous post, Gordon.

Now to the debate regarding in camera versus in lens stabilization. I don't have any quick link I can throw in here. But I cangive you some personal experience. One of the best photos demonstrating lens IS is the attached photo. This was a low light level shooting situation, and no flash was allowed. Because I wanted to capture the motion of the dance, I purposefully used ISO 1600, instead of 3200. My goal was to keep the dancers face sharp while including some of the motion of the dance. The photo was taken with a Canon 20D and a Canon IS lens

Yes, I have a KM 5D and had a 7D for awhile and they have really proved to me that in body IS also works well. Is one type of IS better than the other? I don't have enough road time with in camera IS definitively choose oneover the other yet.

All I can say is that the both work well in my mind, thus far. Hopefully next Wednesday I will have in hand a Pentax K100D as well to give you some photo samples. So if you find some definitive test on IS systems, I would love to see and readit.

MT/Sarah

Attached Images

Old Jul 30, 2006, 3:13 PM   #25

Good job on finding the thread. I think your 'google' will reveal a variety of pros and cons. I have no doubt that 'technically' in-lens IS will be seen as superior because of the mechanics. However, neither will be considered a panacea even if the deciding factor is budget. In all probability, you will be in love with either decision you make as you are eyes wide open going in. I fretted over missing the advanced features on the D70s over the D50, but in the end I made an informed decision that I haven't regretted and now realize that by the time I can 'master' either the D50 or improve my photography, a new body with new enticements will be out there and I can revisit it then.

You have the luxury of patience and time on your side, just don't give yourself a headache worrying about it. You know way more about math and science than I ever will, but the joy will be in getting the bugger in your hands and shooting great photos.

There's always a better mousetrap and technology is an endless debate that boils down to some degree of opinion and preference. You know that of course.

Gah! 'Help! I'm posting and I can't shut up!' Going to wash clothes and go to wallyworld for some batteries and go take my own advice and shoot some with my new SB-800.

M
Old Jul 30, 2006, 3:20 PM   #26

melt-

The SB-800 is a really wonder/wonderful flash. You are going to love it. And yes, I really did mean to say both wonder and wonderful.

MT/Sarah
Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:59 PM   #27

Here are some of my attempts.....

This is at Fraiser, Canada just up the road from Skagway, Alaska
Attached Images

Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:00 PM   #28

Here is another one...

The Hubbard Glacier in Glacier Bay, Alaska

Attached Images

Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:16 PM   #29

Gordon-

Thanks for posting the very nice Alaskan photos. They really bring back memories. We have worked 4 seasons in Alaska.

MT/Sarah
Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:47 PM   #30

Those pics are wonderful! My dad has some beautiful old slides from his days in Alaska.

Thanks!

M