Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Second hand 10D / 20D or new 350D?
Second hand 10D 0 0%
Second hand 20D 4 57.14%
New 350D 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 23, 2006, 5:51 AM   #1

Hi, I'm going to buy a digital SLR, I'm only interested in final image quality, and have decided its either going to be a second hand Canon 10D or 20D, or a new Canon 350D, which would you recommend?

Thanks all

Ripper2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2006, 7:01 AM   #2

I have no experience of the other two but I've just bought a 350D.

My first pictures

AdamPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:51 AM   #3

I have none of those cameras. From what I have read, the image quality of the 20D and the 350D is very similar. The 20D has better build quality, faster burst modes, and a few other features that the 350D lacks.

However, it would help if we knew how much the asking price is for the cameras you are considering. Unless the 10D is by far the cheapest, I think most would advise you to buy the other two.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:23 AM   #4

ripper-

Let me share with you my experience. The Canon 10D IMHO is too far out of date and lacking in current features to be considered. The 350D/XT is IMHO only marginally acceptable. I own one because I conduct DSLR Workshops all over the USA. I dislike the grip and the smallness of the XT as well as it poor viewfinder.

On the otherhand, IMHO a used 20D is your best choice if the camera is in good shape, has not been abused and if you can work a deal that includes several lenses. I sold my 20D, just before the 30D came out as I was concerned about what would happen to the vale with the 30D on the market. tHE 20d is an excellent camera. The grip is chunky enough so that you feel that you are holding the camera securely, the viewfinder is really top notch and the multishot performance is a real advantage. So , if the brand must be Canon, then the 20D is my choice.

Why not look around at all of the consumer DSLR's on the market. The new Pentax K100D is going to have IS and is very well priced, Nikon is about to announce a new camera in the next 2 1/2 weeks, Olympus has the E-500 two lens kit that is priced very well, and Sony is coming out this month with the new Alpha A-100 DSLR as well.

The advantage of a new DSLR is that you will have a full year's warranty and the camera and kit lens package gives you a money saving package. If it were me, I would choose the Pentax K100D.

As robbo has noted in his post, if you could share with us the prices on the used 10D and 20D we could be more comprehensive in our answers.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:35 AM   #5

of the three, i'd go with the used 20D. i assumeyou're on a budget, and a used 20D will be about as cheap as a new Rebel XT/350D. the 10D is not only out of date, it's also "only" a 6.3mp camera, while the other two are 8.1mp.

mtclimber had a good point, though... unless you really want a Canon (and there are certainly good reasons for doing so!) you might also look into other brands like the Pentax or Konica-Minolta. in some respects Canon offers the best image quality, but the differences are often subtle and hard to see.

the big thing, if you want the best images, is to get the best lenses you can afford. putting a crappy lens in front of any camera, even a pro-grade Canon or Nikon, will give you mediocre photos. on the other hand, pro-grade lenses will provideexcellent image quality even when used with a "consumer" or entry-level DSLR.

just my 2 cents...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:59 AM   #6

squirl-

I don't disagree with your lens premise, but we also have to provide an economical pathway for those P&Sers who are moving to the DSLR camera. Step One: Get a consumer level DSLR camera and lens to begin with, and then find your niche. Step Two is simple: Perhaps you want to specialize in birdphotos and nature in general, well that is the time to select your specialized high quality lens.

To me it is a two step process. Step One allows easy, economical access to the DSLR area. Step Two allows for specialization, which is really where the high quality lenses are needed.

MT

Old Jul 24, 2006, 4:30 AM   #7

robbo:
"However, it would help if we knew how much the asking price is for the cameras you are considering. Unless the 10D is by far the cheapest, I think most would advise you to buy the other two."

20D from ebay, i've been watching them for a while now, an all seem to go £500-£600 mark sometimes with a basic lens
http://listings.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsocm...=&saprchi=

and a new 350D
http://www.buyacamera.co.uk/search.asp?RecId=canca730

Thanks everyone for your help btw
Ripper2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:31 AM   #8

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
ripper-

Let me share with you my experience. The Canon 10D IMHO is too far out of date and lacking in current features to be considered. The 350D/XT is IMHO only marginally acceptable.
MT
What current features are lacking on 10D?

And why 350D is only marginally acceptable?

(I know 10D is slow for CF read/write)
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:50 AM   #9

bobbyz-

These are just my personal preferences. The Canon 350D/XT is too small to my liking, it has a pinched grip, and the penta mirror viewfinder is measurably dim, when compared to the KM 5D and Pentax DS viewfinders.

Again, personal preferences. The Canon 10D is slow, when compared to today's DSLR cameras. It is a bit slow to focus, due to lacking the digic chip, it is slow shot to shot, it is slow to store images etc.

MT
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:23 PM   #10

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
bobbyz-

These are just my personal preferences. The Canon 350D/XT is too small to my liking, it has a pinched grip, and the penta mirror viewfinder is measurably dim, when compared to the KM 5D and Pentax DS viewfinders.

Again, personal preferences. The Canon 10D is slow, when compared to today's DSLR cameras. It is a bit slow to focus, due to lacking the digic chip, it is slow shot to shot, it is slow to store images etc.

MT
I agree XT is small but features wise, it is very competitive to any entry level dSLRs. If picture quality is main judging criteria, then it beats most of entry level dSLRs.

10D still does 3fps, 9 RAW buffer. AF is a bit slow say compared to 30D but much better than any current entry level dSLR.Build quality is top notch. What else one wants in semi-pro camera.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote