Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:56 PM   #1

I currently own a coolpix 2100 and really like the quality of the pictures, although it could be better. I however, don't like the minimal amount of options that I have on the camera. For instance I was visiting an aquarium and wanted to take pictures of some of the fish. If I turned off the flash then I had to hold my hand completely still to take the picture and it would still come out fuzzy. I don't like the fact that if I take indoor pictures with not so good lighting then the pictures turn out dark even when using the flash. I am really looking for a good quality camera with more options especially concerning the ones that I do not like about the coolpix 2100. I don't want a top of the line, high price just something better than what I got.

Thanks

~Belle~
~Belle~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2006, 3:12 PM   #2

Belle-

You might want to take a look at the very highly rated Canon A-620. It is price right, andhas a lot of features that you seem to be looking for in your next digital camera.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 4:01 PM   #3

MT-----

Thanks for your response. I think I have decided on the Fuji s6500 when it comes out in Sept/Oct. I really like what I have read about the performance.

How does this camera compare the Canon that you mentioned?
Old Jul 23, 2006, 4:23 PM   #4

Belle-

The Fuji S-6000 (the USA name) which will be known in Europe and the Middle East as the S-6500. To say the least, itwill be an interesting camera. It will use the imager from the Fuji F-30 (the current low light level shooting champ in the P&S category) and couple it with the 28-300mm (10.7X optial zoom) lens now used on the Fuji S-9000. It will also have a face detection feature. Soyou easily see, Belle, there is not very much direct comparison between the Canon A-620 and the Fuji S-6000/S-6500. The Canon A-620 is 7+MP, but it only has 4X optical zoom.

There are a number of images that I have already seen in various places on the internet from the 6mpS-6500 that are quite impressive.

MT
Old Jul 23, 2006, 4:43 PM   #5

I have been searching for images from the s6000 and can not find any. Can you possible give me some of the sites that you are seeing these images on? Thanks for all your help.

I am sure this camera is going to be pretty pricey...
Old Jul 23, 2006, 5:03 PM   #6

Belle-

Actually I read that the Fuji S-6500/S-6000 will be priced at $499 in the USA. I found the photo samples links when I was browsing the Fuji Fourm over on www.dpreview.com.

MT
Old Jul 23, 2006, 5:40 PM   #7

Belle-

I agree with you! I have the S-9000 and it is a good but not great camera. The lens is nice but the aperture really falls as it zoom out to the 300mm position, where it is only F 4.9.

MT
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:06 PM   #8

Do you think it will actually hit stores on Sept 1 or sooner/later?

My kids birthday party is labor day weekend, I would love to have it then and know a little bit about it.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:42 AM   #9

Belle-

I am sorry to say that I don't think the Fuji S-6000/S-6500 will be on dealer shelves on or before 09/01. What is your current camera that you are using?

MT
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:03 PM   #10

I emailed customer service and they won't know until closer to Sept when it will be available. I searched the camera at Amazon.com and you can preorder for 499.95 and they said it will be available to them on Aug 31st.

I currently use a Nikon coolpix 2100 or Fuji 2800.....I know these are pretty basic cameras. The fuji s6000 will be a huge step for me.