Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:45 AM   #1

Been reading posts here for a while as well as a couple other forums, attempting to decide which purchuse would be right for me.I am planning on purchasing a new camera within the next week or so, but I find myself at a cross roads of sorts. As of now it looks like Casio's ultra compact EX series is where I want to find myself, but I have a few questions and odd preferences I thought I'd ask about before deciding which camera is right for me.

1) The size of the camera is what I'm mostly concerned with. Something that can go into my pocket. I wanted something that I could easily slide into my jeans pocket or jacket pocket that would go unnoticed and yet always be there when I need it. (Is the EX-Z750 viable for my small size request? No local stores have it, I'd have to get it online and I know it's larger than the S500/S600.)

2) Video is extremely important to me and I want the best ultra-compact I can get. And for me best means, good resolution, smooth video action, and the ability to get an hour plus out of a2 gig or higher SD memory card. (Is the video on the Z750 comparable to video on the S600, even though I believe there is no video stabilizer on the Z750?)

3) Picture of course is important to me. But I'm not a professional photographer or someone that is highly critical of pictures. In fact I think only for those special pictures will I even try printing them out. I mean I'd like the pictures to be decent, and comparable to my old school Olympus C-3020, but it doesn't have to be top of the line.

But that being said, on this sites reviews of the Casio EX-S600 , there seemed to have poor picture performance on the sides, and bottom corners. Which is pretty bad if I noticed it, and I barely notice anything. However, I didn't notice this blurring problem on the older version S500 he reviewed onthis site so I am thinking it could be photographer error, or a defective unit?

So basically that's what im looking for. The EX-Z750 seems to be getting very good reviews. Does it have video stabilizing like the S600? Some of the videos ive seen seem very bouncy, compared to the S600.

Also if anyone thinks im looking at the wrong cameras and can recommend me to something that fits my ideal camera (Size ultracompact, and video quaity very good, with the length to match)I'm open to the option. So far the only other one I looked at and kind of liked is the Panasonic DMC-FX01(And would have gone for it, if it wasnt for the MPEG format of recording and the fact it takes up to much memory, and the noticing of odd streaking lines of flair from direct sunlight relfections and bright objects filmed). :angry:

Please help! All recomendations welcome!:bye:

CDRacingZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2006, 6:28 AM   #2

Hi,

well, since you said all replies are welcome--you may want to consider 2 other cameras--the Kodak V570 and Kodak V610.

The V570 has a 23mm wide zoom, and the V610 is the smallest 10x on the market, i believe.

both have in-camera stitching of up to three shots, with the V570 making up to 180 wide panoramics.

see here for some examples of V570 shots--note the panoramics...

http://www.beeskneesimaging.com/recently.html

take care!

ken
kcmargulies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:00 PM   #3

Wow, a 10X zoom? Thats impressive. Is it still small enough to put into the pocket and forget it's there?

What about video? Is it good for taking long video?

Thanks for the response.
CDRacingZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:02 PM   #4

i think the video is high quality. you may want to go to kodak.com and click on digital camera--the specs are there. also, this site's kodak forum along with the dpreview.com kodak forum may have more detail. i know that on dpreview.com kodak forum, there is a kodak employee named mike who pops in to answer questions...there are also more examples there...

look forward to your posts...
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:27 AM   #5

That zoom sounded very tempting to me, especially on a compact camera like that. Until I read that it doesn't have a stabilizer... which in my opinion would make for a ton of blurry shots at full zoom.

CDRacingZX6R wrote:
Quote:
Wow, a 10X zoom? Thats impressive. Is it still small enough to put into the pocket and forget it's there?

Thanks for the response.
tc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 2:08 AM   #6

Quote:
i have not seen complaints on this site or dpreview.com on this.
Quote:
i guess the best way is to go to the store and give it a try...
Quote:
CDRacingZX6R wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the response.