Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:52 PM   #1

This forum is rather exceptional. I'm looking for some assistance in selecting my first digital camera.

I'd like a compact or ultracompact size camera. Budget under $500. I'd like to be able to take some nice photographs without having to worry about making many adjustments or worrying about photoediting.

Most photos will be stills of people, places and things. This may be during the day or in the evening. Basically I want to get some nice, crisp shots (as good as this beginner can produce).

I've been looking at the Fuji F30 and the Canon SD600. They seem rather similar, although the SD600 has the optical viewfinder. This isn't a dealbreaker, however, as it appears many cameras "gain up" so this isn't really an issue. I'm also interested in the Casio Z750 or Z850. But given my aforementioned limitations, I don't want to "overindulge" in more than I need.

Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
brettm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:05 PM   #2

brett-

In the compact category either the Canon A-620 or the Fuji F-30 are good choices that have received excellent reviews. As to the Casio Z-750/Z-850 check out the thread on today about the Casios.

Attached is an F-30 photo taken in the full automatic mode, inside, without flash.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:26 AM   #3

Hi,

lately i have been suggesting2cameras to friends who want nice pocket cameras--the Kodak V570 and Kodak V610.

The V570 has a 23mm wide zoom, and the V610 is the smallest 10x on the market, i believe.

both have in-camera stitching of up to three shots, with the V570 making up to 180 wide panoramics.

see here for some examples of V570 shots--note the panoramics...

brettm wrote: [/b]
Quote:
This forum is rather exceptional. I'm looking for some assistance in selecting my first digital camera.

I'd like a compact or ultracompact size camera. Budget under $500. I'd like to be able to take some nice photographs without having to worry about making many adjustments or worrying about photoediting.

Most photos will be stills of people, places and things. This may be during the day or in the evening. Basically I want to get some nice, crisp shots (as good as this beginner can produce).

I've been looking at the Fuji F30 and the Canon SD600. They seem rather similar, although the SD600 has the optical viewfinder. This isn't a dealbreaker, however, as it appears many cameras "gain up" so this isn't really an issue. I'm also interested in the Casio Z750 or Z850. But given my aforementioned limitations, I don't want to "overindulge" in more than I need.

Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
kcmargulies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:28 AM   #4

oops, here is the web site of V570 shots...

http://www.beeskneesimaging.com/recently.html
kcmargulies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:02 PM   #5

Brett-

Here is a sample from the Casio Z-120, a Z-750 clone that uses AA batteries.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:03 PM   #6

Brett-

Here is a sample from the Olympus SP-350. I cannot provide a sample of the Fuji E-900 because mine is out on loan.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:31 AM   #7

As it is your 1st DC, unless you know a fair bit about apertures, exposure compensation and how ISO worksI would stay well clear of the Fuji F30 if you intend using it in automatiic only, as to get the best out of it you had better know a bit about the above. in your situation the Canon would be a better choice.

Knowing about the quirks and how to deal with them the F30 is the bettercamerafor low light photography, and you will also need a photo editor to process your pics for the best results, read the just released review on dpreview.

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:18 AM   #8

Thanks for all the input and pix. Plenty of food for thought.
brettm is offline   Reply With Quote