Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 25, 2006, 5:33 PM   #1

choice between 2 cameras at the moment...
1. Canon SD700IS
2. Fuji F30

I need a camera that will allow me to do a few things...
1. Shoot fast paced sports in fairly low light, like ice hockey at rink side
2. Shoot very bright, sunny outdoor holiday pictures, both with people and landscapes
3. Shoot indoor, badly lit conventions and exhibitions. Mainly guest talks from a distance of about 10-20metres where the guest is constantly on the move (no big movements though)

I guess all 3 are important, although #2 and #3 will be required more often than #1

so which camera do you think is better suited for the job?
Nem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:48 PM   #2

Not having used either camera, I'd probably pick the Fuji F30. I have the Canon A620, which probably is similar enough to the SD700 in terms of photo quality that I have a good idea about its capabilites and limitations.

The F30 will mop the floor with the SD700 in low-light situations, to such an extent that even though the Canon may produce slightly better outdoor shots, the Fuji would be my choice for your situation.

I don't think any small point-n-shoot camera will do well in captuing an image in a fast-paced sport in low light. Methinks that's DSLR territory.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:25 PM   #3

Im thinking the F30 will be good for indoor and badlow lighting given its high ISO as well as aperture and shutter control

but I heard it wasnt very good outdoors with high contrast shots and you get a lot of purple fringing?

and I figured the canon would be better for sports because it has a continuous/burst mode? whereas on the fuji the continuous mode is just really slow at like 0.6fps

or am i wrong? :?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:40 PM   #4

Nem-

Attached you will find an outdoor photo taken in bright sunlight with the F-30. I really like the F-30 and find that it takes good photos inside and outside without any problems at all.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:43 PM   #5

Nem-

Here is a F-30 photo taken inside, with no flash, handheld. What do you think?

MT
Attached Images

Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:45 PM   #6

The continuous/burst mode of a camera doesn't help as much with capturing a fast moving object as does the ability to use a high ISO, which allows you to have a real fast shutter, which in turn captures a moving object better. There are others on the forum who can provide a more comprehensive explanation of this than I am able to.

Purple fringing is a phenomenon that occurs in (usually outdoors) high-contrast areas, such as trees against a very bright sky. I don't believe it actually happens all that often; its just a bit more noticeable on the F30 than on the Canon.

Look around for posts by MTClimber that shows off her Fuji F30. You will see how good it's low-light performance is.

Here's how I am looking at things: suppose we give the Canon SD700 a rating of 100 for photos taken outdoors and in other well-lit venues. The Fuji F30, in comparison, would score at least a 75. Now, in an area where there is not plentiful light - such as an auditorium, windowless convention hall or ballroom - we assign the Fuji a score of 100. The SD700 would not even rate a 50 in comparison.

Edit: Heh, I see MT has found us.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:07 PM   #7

hmm well I guess I may have underestimated the Fujis abilities in outdoor situations, I just kept hearing all these things about purple fringing and overexposure that kinda put me off the camera a bit, however those pics do look nice so Im currently reconsidering

ok so, with our 3 scenarios again...
it looks like my conventions are sorted, the F30 wins hands down because it excels in low lighting
the outdoor shots, which yes the SD700 has the advantage there

I guess it comes down to my hockey...

which camera stands a better chance of capturing someone moving 15mph from left to right about 10metres away from you with least blur?

and how/why is a DSLR better in this situation? like, what do they actually do to help you capture such fast images?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:38 PM   #8

Nem-

If you want to keep your present camera investment below $500, the the Fuji F-30 or the new S-6000 to be released this fall which uses the F-30 imager and the Fuji S-9000 lens giving you an ultra zoom 10X optical zoom capability.

If you are this for the long haul, looking several years into your photo future, then a comsumer DSLR camera should at least be considered due to its interchangeable lenses and much greater flexibility.

MT
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:49 PM   #9

I'd say the F30 has a better chance of giving you an acceptable hockey photo than the SD700.

I don't think I know enough about (D)SLR technology to accurately and comprehensively explain it, and I won't start here. :? However, I will say that DLSR's have larger, better imagers and higher quality, brighter lenses that produce not only finer photos, but the ability to capture a moving image because it does not have to "see" the object as long as a point-n-shoot camera does. Of course, DSLR's and the various lenses cost money, and also are much bulkier than the F30/SD700. I guess they have a steeper learning curve, but I've read where quite a few people have a nice "out of the box" experience with them.

BTW, is there any chance that a store by you (like Walmart) would let you buy the camera and return it if it doesn't suit your needs?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:26 AM   #10

Let's clear up some misconceptions here...

By all accounts the F30 is a great leap forward in high ISO performance in a non-DSLR camera.

But, it is NOT a sports camera. You have to keep your expectations in check here. There is a huge difference between taking a close up portrait and trying to track and photograph a fast moving subject. It's a completely different type of photography.

Here is where the F30 is inadequate for shooting hockey - even ring side:

Only has 108mm equivelent lens (3x) - that's going to be way short for anything except what is right by your shooting position - you really need at least another 100mm to cover half the ring.

Can only shoot 2.2fps for 3 frames - For sports shooting, FPS is an important attribute. That's a very slow rate of capture and not much buffer. It's fine if all you want is a picture that is in-focus regardless of what the picture shows. But in sports you're trying to capture something interesting - you'll be amazed how akward peoples legs look when they run or skate - you want a shot that shows a nice stride. You want a shot of the puck coming off the stick.

1.4 Second start up time - guess what, you either have to keep your camera active the entire game - which drains the battery fast or you risk missing the shot becuase the camera takes over a second to wake-up.

How well does the camera track a moving target? Remember, your target is moving - not someone staring strait at the camera. How well does the camera track a skater moving towards / away from you?

So, if you're up close - 10-20 meters at a convention and want a picture of an exhibit, I think the F30 sounds like a great solution. Outside in bright daylight it appears to be quite capable.

But, it is not a sports camera - whether in low light or good light. The fact is - there still is no non-DSLR low light sports camera. High ISO performance is only part of the equation. The other requirements just aren't there (long reach, excellent tracking of moving subjects, burst rate, buffer handling, sub-second start-up. I'm not saying don't buy the F30 - it may be the best of the lot but anyone who tells you it's good for sports is either a bad sports shooter or simply doesn't shoot sports.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote