Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:12 PM   #1

This will be my first digital camera. I have been using a point-and-shoot film camera for several years now... before that I had an old, old Olympus SLR film camera. I am excited about getting into more advanced photography but will probably ease into it by using a lot of the automatic settings on the SLR at first (just want to have the optionality for later).

The new GX-1Ljust got a strong review in Pop Photo (and was also recommended by a friend who works in the industry) but I can't find any stores in my area that carry it. I've heard it performs better in low-light than the Canon or Nikon models I've been considering.

Anyone have any advice for me about which of these three cameras is the best option? Thanks!

DLB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:49 PM   #2

Unfortunately, the Samsung DSLR cameras have not really faired very well in the reviews, excepting PopPhoto. Take a look at www.digitalcamera info.com and their look at the GX-1S. The review by www.dcresource.com of the GX-1S was a bit better.

The Pentax K100D, just days away from its introduction, offers OIS, at about the somewhat higherprice. Is that an interesting feature for you? Do you do much low light level shoot? That is where, IMHO it would be most effective.

The Nikon D-50 is also competitively priced and offers a wealth of lenses as well as a very low noise signature. Nikon will be introducing a new model soon as well, but it will most probably be positioned between the existing D-70 and D-200 cameras according to industry pundits.

The Canon XT is liked by a lot od users. I feel it is almost too small with a very small, pinched grip and avery dark viewfinder. I would suggest that you physically hand;le and DSLR's that you are considering.

The Olympus E-300 is available a an excellent (low) price, the newer E-500 model has received good reviews and its two lens kit is an excelent buy, giving you 28 to 300mm coverage with just two lenses.

Please tell us a bit more about what kind of photos you like to take and what budget you have allotted for your DSLR camera.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:13 PM   #3
Administrator

I didn't see a review of the GX-1L at Pop Photo. I saw a short article on the GS-1S (different camera). But, I wouldn't really call it a review.

For the reviews here, just look at the Pentax *ist DS2 (virtually the same camera as Samsung GS-1S) or Pentax *ist DL (virtually the same camera as the Samsung GS-1L).

Make sure to read the review conclusion sections for any camera you consider (last page before the sample images in each review here). That's where you'll find information on things like startup time, autofocus speed and reliability, cycle times between photos, comments on image quality, etc.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:29 AM   #4

Thanks so much for the responses. Here is a little more info on what I'm looking for:

Price Range - after doing some price shopping on the Nikon and Canon models, I was resigning myself to paying between $600-$800 for the body and basic lens. I may look into a telephoto option later, unless I can find a "do it all" lens (maybe Tamron?) for a decent price. Essentially, at this point I would rather not spend more than $1000 on the whole package (body, lens, case, battery, etc.).

Size - don't mind the smaller size of the Canon as I have pretty small hands. But the dark viewfinder could be a problem? Doesn't sound good...

Pictures I Want to Take - Really looking for versatility here. I'm about to take a trip to mountain country in Utah and want to be able to take great landscape shots. I like taking "artsy" shots of flowers,abstract building/landscape patterns, etc. I will also want touse the camera to take pictures of people in social settings (so need a good indoor option).

Does that help?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:18 AM   #5

DLB-

Thanks for the added information. Yes, that really does help.

Right now by taking a quick look at www. pricegrabber.com to get the prices of DSLR's with kit lenses we find the following low internet prices:

Pentax DL - $495

Sumsung GX-1L - $599

Nikon D-50 - $625

Canon XT - $579

So, there is about a $130 spread between the four DSLR cameras. I believe the next logical step would be to go toone or coupleseveral camera stores, so you can actually physically handle these cameras, checking out the viewfinder, grip and the like to see, how they feel and look in hand.

In general, Lanscape photos will take a nice wide angle lens, whereas Social Photography will take a very fast bright lens. which can also be a wide angle lens, thus allowing you to cover these two uses with a single lens. The kit lens is usually not quite fast enough to handle these duties, although most kit lenses are in the wide angle area.

So, check out the cameras with a camera shop visit, thing about specific features that youmight want to have, so we can establish some priorities as well.

MT
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:31 AM   #6

Thanks MT. If I were to look for a good multi-use lens beyond what is provided in the kit, would you have any recommendations for brand and mm range?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:48 AM   #7

DLB-

Take for example the Olympus E-500 two lens kitselling for $700. You get the E-500 DSLR, a Zukio 14-45mm lens, and a Zukio 40-150mm lens. Because the additive factor with the Olympus is 2.0X, you have lens coverage from 28mm to 300mm which is a wonderfully wide range. That is a good example of the kind of range you want to cover. Most kit lens begin at 14 to 18mm.

MT
Old Jul 26, 2006, 8:14 PM   #8

anice 18-200mm ( i know this is not a pro choice, but its just so darn handy )
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 8:35 PM   #9

monx-

I certainly agree with you completely. I have the Tamron 18-200mm XR on my Nikon D-50 and the Sigma 18-200mm lens on my KM 5D. The photos are great. I have seen some really fantastic photos from these two lenses. They are worth the money simply because you have just about everything you need in asingle lens. This forgoes many lens changes which are the major source of dust that gets on the DSLR imager shield plate (the IR filter).

MT
Old Jul 27, 2006, 3:30 PM   #10

Thanks so much everyone! Very helpful to get a sense of exactly what mm range you are using, the brands, and most of all that you are happy with the performance of these models. I will take the advice of poking around in some camera stores and see if I can maybe have a new DSLR in hand when I head off for my Utah trip next weekend! I'll keep you posted on what I choose!