Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:27 PM   #11

Mac-

For starters, please eliminate the last two cameras on your list. They are not on the same level as the others. The Fuji S-9000 does not have IS but it is none the less a very capable camera.

Please take a look at the specifications for the Fuji S6000 which is due to come to market in September. It has some real advantages because it uses the highly praised Fuji F-30m imager and the S-9000's lens. It will also feature 10X optical zoom and will be priced below $500.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 2:20 AM   #12
E.T

swgod98 wrote:
Quote:
Personally, I think the 12x zoom (which milrodpxpx*seems to discredit) of these camera's is a great asset to have in all conditions.* 432mm zoom range is nothing to sneeze at!
And he's right in discrediting "zoom mania" because it's primarily PR BS and doesn't tell anything important. (and with datas which would make that number somehow usefull it becomes unnecessary)
Focal lengths are important thing, that's why in SLR side (where people have traditionally known what they're doing) such thing as "zoom" has never gotten any ground.

And focal lengths tell that other cameras than S9000 are less fitting for example into inside shooting because of narrower wide angle (remember that walls prevent backsteps very effectively) and for wide landscapes it's same kind situation... while it's possible to stitch multiple shots together from static targets that can leavy visible joints into final picture (caused by parallax error) unless tripod wasn't used and camera rotated around its nodal point.

Then tele end difference between ~300mm and 432mm isn't such big: Doubling magnification (zooming into area 50% of height and width of reference) requires doubling focal length. So in case of 300mm as reference that would require 600mm meaning if wild animals/birds aren't main priority difference between those ~300mm and ~430mm isn't much anything and S9000 can well be better camera depending where priorities are.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 2:38 AM   #13

I would consider the new Fuji S6500fd instead of the S9500. Yes it has less pixels, but it has much better pixels. It has the same sensor as the Fuji F30 and the recent test results of this camera show, that it delivers the high iso performance, which the S9500 did only promise. On the other hand, when a camera is new, it always sells for its highest price. Thus I wait well until next year and then think again about it. In the end the S6500 fd should cost at least 100$ less than the S9500.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 4:41 AM   #14

Smart thinking, kassandro.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:17 AM   #15

E.T wrote:
Quote:
swgod98 wrote:
Quote:
Personally, I think the 12x zoom (which milrodpxpxseems to discredit) of these camera's is a great asset to have in all conditions. 432mm zoom range is nothing to sneeze at!
And he's right in discrediting "zoom mania" because it's primarily PR BS
My point wasthat UZ camera's have long zoom ranges "built in"...12x or 432mm range,however you want to describe it. Call it PR BS if you must, but if he buys a dSLR, he will be forced to purchase another lens to get that kind of range.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:26 AM   #16

NOW HEAR THIS!!!

The OP doesn't want a DSLR.

The OP can't wait until September to buy a camera - he needs one within the next two weeks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mac,

Go with the S9000.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 4:51 PM   #17

I ended up going with the H5. I was limited as to what I could buy in town (not that I had too.) But I wanted to get it in my hands ASAP. Between the 1BG memory card and the camera, I paid about 5% under MSRP. Really like it so far. I've only taken a few pictures but it seems easy enough to use right out of the box.

Thanks for the input.
Macanudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:30 PM   #18

mac,

Good choice - post a couple pics of the baby when available.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:37 PM   #19

Mac-

You made an excellent choice and got a good deal! Post some great photos. and let us know how we can help you further. Congratulations!

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote