Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:49 PM   #1

For a beginner who takes most pictures on the auto setting, with an expectation of crisp photos indoor and outdoor, is it worth going for the f30 over the f11?

The question comes from the fact that there is almost 100GPB difference in cost.

I also need the camera quite sturdy as it will also be handled by my little daughter.

I don't doubt the ability of the F30 thanks to contributors on other threads, I just want to know if the F11 will also meet the needs of a beginner.

Thank you.
kamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:57 PM   #2

The Fuji F-10 and F-11 (marketed in the UK, Europe, and Asia only) cameras were designed to have a maximum ISO settings of ISO 1600. It was the first of what appears to be na series of these cameras. Naturally, the F-30 was an improved model that actually works betterin the auto mode, several nice auto ISO ranges, and it aslo goes to a max ISO 0f 3200. IMHO it is worth more money.

For confirmation please check out the reviews of the F-30 at www.dcresource.com and www.dpreview.com. These websites have done detailed reviews of both the F-10 and the F-30.

Here is a F-30 sample photo taken indoors, with no flash,handheld, in full auto.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 2:19 PM   #3

The F30 is about 10% superior to F11 at 80% more expense, the only real advantage F30 has is ISO 3200, The smart money goes F11 IMO.
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 2:36 PM   #4

mweb-

I for one, certainly aappreciate your personal opinion. However, it would seem that the professional reviews from the professional reviewers at http://www.steves-digicams.com, http://www.dpreview.com and http://www.dcresource.com are possibly mightnot be in 100% agreement with your evaluation.

MT
Old Jul 28, 2006, 2:39 PM   #5

mweb wrote:
Quote:
The F30 is about 10% superior to F11 at 80% more expense, the only real advantage F30 has is ISO 3200, The smart money goes F11 IMO.
After a 50 dollar rebate I ended up with a F30 for 264. An F11 or F10 is not much cheaper. Having said that, the rebate expired on July 15th and the F30 is about 312 now.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 4:29 PM   #6

kamara wrote:
Quote:
I just want to know if the F11 will also meet the needs of a beginner.
I think the quick and easy answer to this question is: yes.

But, I also think (after reading the reviews; dpreview in particular) that the F30 is well worth the extra price. Ultimately, that needs to be your decision...

Benefits of F30
[*]Maximum ISO 3200 (was 1600) [/*][*]Higher resolution screen with newly developed anti-glare coating [/*][*]New battery and increased battery life [/*][*]On camera AV and DC-IN ports (no more terminal adaptor) [/*][*]Refined menu system [/*][*]Additional scene modes including Natural Light & Flash mode [/*][*]New intelligent flash system [/*]
I've found ISO3200 unuseable on the F30, but you might note that the comparison shots (at equivalent ISO values) show the F30's noise reduction is even better than the F10/F11...

Not having experienced an F10 or F11, I can only go by what I read...but it sounds like the F30 is well worth it's price.

Good luck.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:42 AM   #7

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
mweb wrote:
Quote:
After a 50 dollar rebate I ended up with a F30 for 264. An F11 or F10 is not much cheaper. Having said that, the rebate expired on July 15th and the F30 is about 312 now.

The F11 is £140 against F30 £250 in the UK, The F30 is certainly the better camera, but so it should be with that margin of difference pricewise!!

mtclimber, The F11 was never available in the US and has never been tested by any of the major US review sites,

F11 has been tested 4 times by the UK photographic press, and it scores MUCH higher than the F10, and comes very close to the F30.

This is the only online review of the F11, where it gives a good account of itself against much pricier opposition. http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Co...05/index.shtml

mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:38 AM   #8

mweb-

Thanks very much for the link to the F-11 review. For the record, the F-11 was sold in the USA, in Hawaii, but never reviewed, that I know of, anywhere in the USA.

MT