Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 27, 2006, 4:21 PM   #1

hey guys...i am goin to purchase my forst ever digi cam so i was woundering weather i should get the CANON PS ELPH SD600 or the CASIO ex-Z120...plz help thanks!!
aspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2006, 4:27 PM   #2

aspire-

It is just my personal opinion, but I would go for the Canon SD-600.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 5:04 PM   #3

I would say Canon.

I have a Ixus 40, my girlfiend has a similarly priced Casio and the Canon has been better by far in every aspect despite being "less megapixels"
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:41 PM   #4

50 views and only 2 replies....OMG!! plz ppl reply
Old Jul 27, 2006, 9:14 PM   #5

Aspire: maybe people are looking and not replying because they don't know. Silence is better than giving a baseless opinion.

Count me as a +1 for the Canon.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:09 AM   #6

so fromt the three reviews i got, everyonwthinks the canon is better...ok thnx guys...i will hopefuly get the canon (if i can get tne money fast enough be fore my deal ends)
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:46 AM   #7

They are both very good cameras. Both have excellent lenses and take good photos.

The SD600 is smaller and lighter. You might tend to drop it in your pocket more often. The camera you have with you is infinitely better than the one sitting at home. The Canon also comes with a lithium battery and charger. Some people prefer AAs but I find proprietary lithium batteries to be a lot easier to live with. Not that the Casio isn't pocketable, it just isn't as small.

The Z120 is the camera of choice if you plan on learning a little about photography. Where the SD600 is a pure point and shoot the Z120 has full controls and an excellent control setup. It is also much more configurable with 5 levels each for saturation, contrast and sharpening. You can adjust it to give the image you want. The Canon has no such adjustment other that a "vivid" picture mode. But the Canon has well balanced photos and you might like them just the way they are.

Another nice feature of the Z120 is that you can determine individually which features reset and which remain the same way you left them when you turn the camera off and back on. With the Canon everything resets or everything remains as you left them, and there are things I prefer to go back to default and others I prefer to stay the same.

If you just want a good point and shoot and have no desire to use manual controls or tweak your output the SD600 will give you excellent photos right out of the box.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 1:05 PM   #8

Be an individual and go with the casio, The Canons fine, but peopletend to associate Canon compact cameras (point and shoot to you guys) with there top class DSLRs.

Where as in reality IMOCanon compacts are underspecified and overpriced in virtually every market segmant.
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 4:38 PM   #9

ok thnx for all of your help..i think i have descided to go for the CASIO as i will probaly not be able to catch the offer for the canon ...plus i too have noticed that the casio has adjustable features that are user friendly and i can set them up just as i like
Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:05 PM   #10

There's no better value in the $200 class than the A620.

mweb wrote:
Quote:
Be an individual and go with the casio, The Canons fine, but peopletend to associate Canon compact cameras (point and shoot to you guys) with there top class DSLRs.

Where as in reality IMOCanon compacts are underspecified and overpriced in virtually every market segmant.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote