Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:29 AM   #1

I've been looking for a SMALL P&S camera. I know it's been asked before, but since we all look for different features, I was asking again. :-)

I already have a larger digital P&S, and my husband has a Nikon dSLR, but I really want something that will fit in a pocket or purse.

I mainly want this for "people pictures" like candid shots at a family dinner, rather than landcapes, soIwant something thattakes goodpictures in indoor lighting (or even dim restaurant lighting) I want something that has a quick start up time. But size & weight arebig factors for me - the smaller the better, as long as it has a decent size screen. For zoom, I would prefer a 3x optical if possible and I would like at least 5MP.I would like it to have a self timer as well. I would prefer a camera that takes SD cards, since I already have quite a few. I am not concerned with video, or a docking station, or having a carrying case included (I'd prefer to buy my own.)

Iwas hoping to stay inin the $200 - 250 USrange.

Canon PS A620 or Elph SD550 – I think these seem a little thicker than I wanted.

Sony Cybershot DSC W70 - I've used one of these and like it, but I didn't really want to get into buying Memory Stix though!

Casio Exilim Z60 – I like the looks of this, but I don't know ANYTHING about Casio's camera making abilities.

Any recommendations or opinions on any of these cameras? Any other options, if I gohigher on price?
Remi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:59 AM   #2

Remi-

You are talking about candid people photos taken across the dinner table. Will you be using the camera's built-in flash unit to take these photos, or will they be taken without falsh using just the ambient room lighting.

This will be a very large determing factor in choosing the proper P&S camera.

Thanks for your help.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:45 PM   #3

Well, I will probably be using the built in flash on the camera. I've never had much luck with these types of pictures without the flash.

Is there something I can do to get better results using ambient room lighting? I have tried using some of the "priority modes" (shutter, aperature) on my other camera, but still usually get better results in an auto mode, with auto flash.

Although I love to take pictures, I'm at the point on the learningcurve where I feel the cameraknows better than I do in a lot of scenarios! But I'm trying! I keep telling myself that everyone was a beginner at one point.

Remi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:50 PM   #4

Consumer reports had an article which recommended CasioZ750, KodakV550, CanonSD450, PanasonicDMC-FX8. I have bought the panny, but now find some limitations; no view finder & no date stamp. I take lots of the same type of photo's and have hated the Kodak4310 cause of shutter delay & third picture delay of about 1 minute! I use snapfish & am gradually shifting from my love YashikaT4. Will I ever find a comparible replacement?

Maybe someone can help me too (but my range is$300+/-)...
iberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:04 PM   #5

Remi and Iberg-

If you are going to use the auto mode and the built-in camera flash, the Canon A-620 is certainly worth looking at rather closely.

If you desire to take photos using only the ambient room lighting ocassionally (see the attached photo), the Fuji F-30 is a possibility, although it is a bit more expensive than you budgeted price.

MT

Attached Images

Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:41 PM   #6

Thanks for the photo (Great shot)! I did a side by side: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...0&show=all

... and noticed the AA batteries on the Canon A620, but it's size is too big for purse/pocket/fanny pack. So that's out. The Fuji F30 can be had just slightly higher than my range, but also no view finder.

There is no shutter delay data. Isn't that what they call it when you press the button and the actual picture is taken later?

Also there is another delay when taking lots of photo's. Say at a birthday party, with lots of action & I want to take 10 photos in a span of 1 or 2 minutes. For example when the candles are being blown out. I want some close up shots, then move out & maybefrom the other side of the room. This is when the camera I currently have says; please wait. It's a processor delay or something.

Any ideas on getting this info on the side by side above?
Old Jul 28, 2006, 6:17 PM   #7

Iberg-

No, there is no way to get the details on to your side by side comparison that was created using the www.dpreview.com website.

You will find the shutter delay, the shot to shot time, and comments about the Burt Modein every one of Steve's Concluding paragraphs on each camera review. The Burst Mode is what you arev talking about in your birthday, blowing out the cake example.

In all fairness, I fear what you are really looking for in terms of the perfect set offeatures are most probably just not going to be available in the under $250 category P&S camera. The dialog so far has voiced a need for a featire set that is realistically just not found in most P&S ultra compact cameras. Individual cameras will have some of the features you desire, but probably not all of then in a single camera.

MT
Old Jul 28, 2006, 6:26 PM   #8

MT-

Fair enough, and thanks for the knowledge depth. I feel I am getting closer to making the decision

Iberg
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:45 PM   #9

Hi Iberg-

Share with us all the cameras you are considering, as I am sure that more people are interested in your search than are actually posting. Thanks in advance for your sharing.

I am going to analyze the Casio Z-120 camera this evening. It is an AA batery powered 7.2mp, 3X optical zoomcamera with a lot of features, as well as an optical viewfinder, which seems to be left out of cameras more and more lately.

I haveseveral questions for you. What is your optimal size camera? What amount of optical zoom do you desire? Is an optical viewfinder a mandatory requirement, or is an LCD camera only satisfactory for you?

MT
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:28 PM   #10

Iberg-

Here is the scoop on the Casio Z-120.

Size - 3.5" wide, 2.4" high, and 1.1" thick

LCD Size - 2" - gains up in low lighting conditions.

Lens F3.1 - F 5.4

Auto Focus Assist Light - No

Closest Macro - 2.4"

Video Format - AVI at 640X480

RAW/TIFF - NO

On Board Memory - 8.3mb

Power-up time - 2 seconds

Shutter Lag - 0 when using the included optical viewfinder

Auto Focus time - 0.3 sec or 0.2seconds in Quick Shutter Mode

Manufactuer's Flash Range - 7.55 feet

Burst Mode - One photo every 1.5 seconds withouth flash

One photo every 3 to 9 seconds depending on battery status with flash