Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 31, 2006, 3:06 PM   #11

I guess we have similar dreams ...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87
VinnyP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 6:43 PM   #12

<i>The S80 is a lovely camera but one with half the features and half the width (and half the price) is what I really want.</i>

Not happening ever I'm afraid. Half the features and half the width is the same price, if not more expensive.

I'm currently buying a pocket camera. I could get the Canon SD600 (compact) for the same price as my Kodak P850... the P850 is huge, but has 4 times the zoom, all features, bigger screen, better viewfinder... it's just infinately better, but bigger and same price.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:52 AM   #13

morag-

Why not a Kodak V-570 to pair up with your P-850. It has a 23 or 24mm wide angle.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 12:33 PM   #14

Thanks for the suggestion Morag but the v570 does not have a viewfinder, like the V550, otherwise I would have gone for it immediately

Rex
rexgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 1:13 PM   #15

FWIW- Morag did not suggest the V-570, I did. BTW the V-550 does have an optical viewfinder but, no wideangle.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:21 AM   #16

You might want to look at the Fuji Finepix E510. It's a bit old (not sure if you'll find one), but it's a bit thinner than the S80, and meets most of your requirements.
Optical Viewfinder
28mm-91mm zoom
2" LCD
4"x2.4"x1.3"
8 oz.
Also aperture priority and shutter priority modes, good if you want to learn some manual photographic technique.

But I still think you might be best of with the Panisonic FX01. It's a more up to date model that really has everything you want but the viewfinder. Like some other newer models it also has image stabilization, and a bigger higher resolution screen.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:32 AM   #17
Super Moderator

I'm very pleased with the FX01 after using it for a couple of months.

I thought I really wanted the viewfinder, but actually I wanted a rangefinder style viewfinder, not the teeny-tiny impossible-to-use-with-any-accuracy viewfinders you actually get with compact cameras.

My wife has the IXUS700 and the viewfinder on it is practically unusable.

It does take a bit of adjustment getting used to framing with the LCD, but it also allows a kind of stealthy shooting that one doesn't get with camera-to-the-eye framing.

I couldn't have gotten this street shot with my DSLR for example, it would have attracted too much attention.

You can check out my Flickr site for lots of FX01 shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peripatetic/
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 4:42 AM   #18

Hi Kenbalbari

Thanks for your suggestion.

After a lot of thought I have decided to forget viewfinders and have to decide between FX01 and V570.

I really like the V570 for its 23mm lens and for the lot of dedicated buttons

I really like the FX01 for its clear large text and clear menus but I feel that having to use the mode wheel for play and record would drive me round the bend. (I know about the Review mode but it seems to be for only 10 seconds and can't do much except for delete)

V570 seems soeasy to use but the screencould bedifficult to see clearly.

With FX01, is stitching in the software easy?

I have printed and studied both manuals but have been unable to try either camera

Would be interested in your views on either camera - I only need to see photos on PC or TV (4x3) with the occasional 6 x 4 inch print

I know of the FX07, FX50 and V705 but they are new un-tried un-reviewed and expensive.

Regards Rex

Old Sep 13, 2006, 4:48 AM   #19

Hi Peripatetic

Thanks for your suggetions - my e-mail to Kenbalbai was also intended for you. If the screen is good enough perhaps I can do without the viewfinder

Regards Rex
Old Sep 13, 2006, 5:31 AM   #20
Super Moderator

I have no experience of the Kodak.

I've never tried stitching on the FX01, so can't comment.

The LCD is pretty good, and once you get over the reflex of putting the camera against your eye, it works well. I find the whole complaint about using LCDs in sunlight etc to be exaggerated in general.

I would like a big optical viewfinder, but as I said, the small optical viewfinders are useless and the screen is pretty good once you adjust.

For prints the quality is really pretty good up to A4, certainly reasonable 8x10 prints are perfectly possible.

I did a test by putting out 3 A4 prints each from my FX01 and 20D to some friends and asked them to sort them by camera. They both got it right, but it did take them a few minutes and some very close looking and changed their mind on one or two shots a few times.

I find using the wheel for review v shooting mode is fine, and is actually similar to other cameras - the Canon IXUS for example has the same. In fact it's actually quite handy, becausewhen in review mode, if the camera is switched on the lensdoes not extend, soif you carry the camera in a jeansor jacket pocket you don't accidentally cause the lens toextend by brushing the camera's on/off switch.Then if it is in a pocket the powersaving mode kicks in andpowers the camera down.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote