Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 30, 2006, 3:10 AM   #1

Hi, this is my first post in here,

I have completely edited my original message due to the change of plans, so no more Sigma or Tamron lenses anymore.

I have planned to get the Nikon D50 with the AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D prime lens. Is that a great idea? I like the fast F1.4 of it to be used in low light situations and for the shallow dept of field! Is this the ultimate choice for my budget of US $900 currently? (Or should I wait until the end of this year where my budget will be US $1000 plus) with perhapes some other alternative if this isn't the best (Fast and shallow of dept of field) choice?

I am worried that the missing dept of field button on the D50 is a great minus??? Should I get the Nikon D70s with theAF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8Dinstead??? (For my budget).

Post EDIT:

How about the Canon EOS 350D? I am also interested in that camera but since it is more costly than the D50, I might consider getting it with a different lens...

Are Nikon lenses compatible with Canon dSLRs??? I am planning to get the AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8Dwith the Canon EOS 350D. (If it is possible). Help and advices will be most welcomed.

I am looking for a fast lens (F2.8 or faster) and for the shallow dept of field as well. Currently for my budget, It seems to methat the Nikon F1.4 and F1.8lenses are the best deals out there, but I would like to know if I had missed anything OR should I wait until end of this year where my budget will be US$500 more. (But if this is the best combination now, I don't need to wait).

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2006, 7:31 AM   #2

In general one brands lenses are not directly compatible with another (there are specific exceptions) but Nikon to Canon, no.The electronics are quite different. While there are adapters floating around that allow use of one brands lenses on another it is usually at the expense of 1) a loss in maximum aperture (which is exactly what you say you don't want), 2) autofocus or 3) both. Lenses designed specifically for the camera you have (whether from the original manufacturer or aftermarket) will be your best choice.

As for the D50-D70 dilemma, it's simply features vs. price. Yes, you give up some "goodies" on the D50 but it's really a matter of what's important to you (I like the 2 control wheels on the D70...IMO it makes changing settings faster and easier, but that's just me).

Finally, I applaud your decision on the prime lens. It's a great way to better learn shot composition, having to move around to get your perspective rather than just zooming in and out. The first lens I chose for my E-1 (Olympus) was not one of the zooms but the 35mm macro which was a great "normal prime" lens and allowed me to play with macro as well.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:02 AM   #3

Excellent post, stowaway-

Years ago, in leaner times, we had to make do with lees and learned a good deal in the process. Our feet did the zooming.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:12 AM   #4

The D50 is a fine camera. DOF preview is a feature that I used to use alot with SLR cameras, but I never use it with my DSLR's (a D70 and D50). DSLR viewfinders are a bit darker than traditional SLR camera's which make it very difficult to use unless the lens is completely open. Stopping down even a few stops leaves the viewfinder so too dark to make this function useful. Also the fact that you can review your shot right away on the LCD makes DOF preview a lot less useful....you're not wasting film if you don't get the look you want right away.

In terms of your lens choice, the f/1.4 is good, but I believe the f/1.8 is a much better deal. For under $100, you get as good as if not better optical quality, (as the f/1.4) is soft wide open), and only use 1/2 stop of light. DOF is quite slim at f 1.4, which makes it impractical to use in many situations. You could save some money and either pick up a flash (the SB600 is great, the SB800 is better), or maybe a zoom lens to give you more flexibility, or a wider prime as your 50mm becomes a 75mm after the 1.5x crop factor. You may find that a bit long for indoor use. A 35mm or even a 28mm will approximate the view that the 50mm would give on a traditional slr.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:21 AM   #5

Thanks for the enlightenments!

I am quite lost now since I really did planned to get the Canon 350D with the Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D. That prime was impressive after I read a professional review of it. The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 IIjust doesn't give me the confidence to go and get itfor the EOS 350D. :?The Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM on the other hand is ridiculously overpriced and I still have to get the dSLR body maxing out at 900 USDs or wait (Until the end of this year!)! :shock:

On the other hand, if the dept of field preview button is not important to affect my photography, then the D50 would be simply great! (But the EOS 350D is beginning to attract me more in design, image quality, and DOF button + DOF mode on dial). I just need decent "within budget" Canon optics for it (Is there's any?). On the other hand, I can always go for the Nikon D70s with the Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D if my budgetwill allow it.

EOS 350D+a decent affordable prime glasswith 900 USD or

Nikon D70s/D50 + Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D with 900 USD. On the other hand, if I forego the plan to get the D50 with the F1.4 50 mm nikkor prime, I can use the$$$ for a D70s with the 50 mm F1.8 prime nikkor. What do you think?

BTW, I am just starting out, so multiple lenses are not yet. Now I just want a sharp prime that is affordable and decent.

Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:18 PM   #6

One thing you haven't mentioned is what type of images you will be shooting. Your subject matter plays an important role in what lenses you should choose. You also haven't mentioned what your skill level is. Providing this info will help others provide the correct recommendations.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 6:26 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Yeah 50mm * 1.5 or 1.6 = 75 or 80mm equivalent. That's really a short telephoto.

As your only lens it sounds like a bad idea to me, you really don't know what kind of photography you're going to like as you're (no disrespect intended) a complete beginner.

If you've got your heart set on starting with a prime then a lens in the 24-35mm range would be much better for you.

The Sigma 30mm f1.4 is very highly regarded.

Either the Nikon or the Canon will be fine. The DOF preview button is pretty much useless on the small viewfinder of the Canon. You think you need it, but you don't. I bet you'd never use it if you had it.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 4:38 AM   #8

Code:
One thing you haven't mentioned is what type of images you will be shooting. Your subject matter plays an important role in what lenses you should choose. You also haven't mentioned what your skill level is. Providing this info will help others provide the correct recommendations.
I mostly shoot in this few categories;

landscapes, sceneries, buildings. (Generally far away shots).

Long (night) exposure shots for landscapes, lighted buildings, and macros (of stationary objects) as well. (Long exposure category).

I shoot indoors without flash most of the time and I use high ISO a lot. (Besides that, my shots are still blurred outsometimes). I will also be shooting concert shots and action shots in the near future (When the end of the year events come).

Finally, Iphotograph people and portraits and this is my new category that I plan to build uponin the long run.

I also have one last special category;

In my country, the sun is always very bright and I will always be encountering it when I leave for outdoor activities. My Sony DSC-N1 compact cannot handle such a bright situation when it has been set to F2.8 aperture since the 1/1000 max shutter is often not fast enough. So, I also shoot a lot in bright sunshines. In fact, generally all my shots will be affected save the nightime ortwilight ones.

I am a beginner.

Hope all this helps.

Code:
Yeah 50mm * 1.5 or 1.6 = 75 or 80mm equivalent. That's really a short telephoto. 

As your only lens it sounds like a bad idea to me, you really don't know what kind of photography you're going to like as you're (no disrespect intended) a complete beginner.

If you've got your heart set on starting with a prime then a lens in the 24-35mm range would be much better for you.

The Sigma 30mm f1.4 is very highly regarded. 

Either the Nikon or the Canon will be fine. The DOF preview button is pretty much useless on the small viewfinder of the Canon. You think you need it, but you don't. I bet you'd never use it if you had it.

Thanks for your advice.

My budget is currently set at $900 US. How will I manage the Sigma 30mm f1.4 with anx dSLR body? 8)

Thanks for informing me about the DOF button's usefulness. I think I should be able to go without it if it is so unecessary. (I innitially thought is was important).

Thanks once again and more advices would be most appreciated from all of you! Btw, if you need more infos about my criteria, feel free to ask. 8)

Regards.

Sorry: (Thread EDIT);

I just read a review of the Sigma AF 30mm f/1.4 EX HSM DC>>>

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...0_14/index.htm

It isn't so good what do you think? Considering that is cost a hefty $425.00 for me!

Wouldn't it be a better idea for me to get the Nikon D70s with the F1.8 Nikkor (50mm prime)? (It has a fairly positive review and great image quality>>> http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...0_18/index.htm). I can get another lens by this year end if I pass my exam! :-)

Btw, I forgot to mention that I also capture images in B & W...some black and white filter effects would be nice! I also capture macros. (I am using the Sony N1).

I don't expect macros in the dSLR world without more $$$$s. However, I don't mind compromisingtowards the potrait range because I like the soft background focus (Like macros). Anyway, the Nikon D50 and D70s doesn't have B & W mode I think...talk about filters...

The OLYMPUS EVOLT E-500 dSLR and the Canon EOS 350D has B&W + B&W filters andtones etc...! Nonetheless, I like theD50 and D70sa lot. (DSC-R1?)

Old Jul 31, 2006, 6:23 AM   #9

Honestly, I think you should get the 50mm f1.8 and supplament it with either the 18-55 or 18-70 zoom. For landscape and indoor shots, I think you will find just the 50mm a bit long. You definetly need a wider angle lens to handle the outdoor photography you mention. Even the 30mm would be a bit wide.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 8:23 AM   #10
Super Moderator

50mm is the wrong focal length for yourONLY lens unless you are very unusual in your photographic habits.

I agree with rjseeney

A cheap 50mm prime plus a cheap 18-55 kit lens would be a good selection to start with. If you can't afford both then get the kit lens first and save up for the 50mm prime.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote