Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 30, 2006, 6:37 PM   #11

Yikes, this is all so confusing! Shopping is supposed to be fun, right? Yet here I am being a tat stressed and confused.

Thank you so much for your patience, and thank you for the attached picture example. This is an amazingly clear and well lit picture for taking inside and without flash. Wow! Is there an optional water tight case on the market for this camera?

Let me clearify the light conditions under which I will mostly take pictures: I'm taking equally many pictures outside as I am taking pictures inside under "normal" in-door light conditions. We are not mooles, LOL, our house is usually well lit. One thing I noticed with my old camera was that the picture quality was considerably lower with artificial light than with day light. However, I guess if I get a camera that takes reasonably good pictures at 400-600 ISO then that would be good enough. I'm alsousing Photoshop a lotand can usually adjust the lighting easily. I almost never take pictures under low light conditions like moon light or candle light, etc.
Jana1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 6:44 PM   #12

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Melt-

Is that question for me (MT) or for Jana? I honestly made the assumption that she was an ocassional beach visitor. However, you know what happens when you assume!? So, I may be at fault and I think that yours is an excellent question.

How about it, Jana? Do you live at or near the beach, so that you are there on a very regular basis?

BTW I also answered vis a vis the types of IS.

MT/Sarah
I'm living close to the beach. We visit the beach a lot and Ialways take my camera with me because I usually get the best shots of my kids at the beach.

Needless to say that I did try to be very careful with my camera on the sandy beach. I always kept it in a camera bag in a zip lock bag when not in use. It's not that I toss it into the sand or anything. However, it did happen and I did get sand into it and I'm totally bummed about this and I don't want this to happen again. Our beach has veryvery fine grainedsand that is easily airborne in even light wind. Of course, after I played with my kids I will also have sand on my hands and clothing. Those are things that are nearly impossible to avoid and quite honestly, I don't want to avoid. It would take the fun out of going to the beach. So, this is way I need a camera that can go to the beach.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 7:12 PM   #13

Jana-

Thanks for answering so quickly. I also live directly on the oceanfront , and we have raised 8 children, so I really do understand your environment. As you mentioned previously a watertight shell is not out of the question, especially when playing with the children at the beach and having fine sand on your clothing and yourself.

The Fuji F-30 (ISO capability up to ISO 3200)is a very new camera and I have not seen a watertight/sandproof shell for it as yet. The ziplock bag is a good idea, but it is not a 100% guarantee in your environment.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:15 PM   #14

Good luck Jana, you're up against a hard one. I was hoping it was an infrequent visit. AND, I understand that your circumstances are what they are and you wouldn't change it for the world.

MT's got lots of good advice but I'll throw outa thought for what it's worth though it's probablynot much better than facing replacements more often than you would like.

FollowMT's recommendation(s) for the beach and consider another camera for non-sandy, seaspray environs. Of course you could still end up replacing the beach camera more often than you can stand.

I just know my former boss has the same complaints as you about missing those great kid shots. You might be able to find a recommended 'kid' camerathat's not necessarily the recommended beach camera - I'm sure someone can speak tospeedand lighting options in a p&s suitable for capturing kids on the go (they probably already have somewhere in these threads.

I know there are lots of disadvantages to this idea but it's just a thought.

M
melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:50 PM   #15

melt1109 wrote:
Quote:
FollowMT's recommendation(s) for the beach and consider another camera for non-sandy, seaspray environs. Of course you could still end up replacing the beach camera more often than you can stand.
You know, I might just do this. I went to Walmart the other day and they had at least 5different 3mp cameras for under $100. I might just get me one of those "el cheapos" for the beach and a good onefor at home. Considering that I cannot even get a water proof housing for $100, this really is a valuable option. I'll follow Sarah's advice and look for a camera with a lense that stays recessed.

Thank you all so much for your advice and knowledge. I guess I went into this a bit green. Ireally have no idea about what's on the market. It's too big and too confusing. One thing I found out tho is that the market is not ready for me. :blah:

Jana :-)
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:11 AM   #16

If it were me, I'd seriously look at the:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...optio_w10.html
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:21 AM   #17

Jana-

There you have it! The personal recommendation of one of this Forum's Moderators, who in also a top notch photographer in his own right.

MT/Sarah
Old Jul 31, 2006, 8:35 PM   #18

My husband just looked at the W10 and thought it was a very good option for beach camera. It's not too expensive,that always makes a good argument. :lol:

Thank you all who helped me figuring this out. I'm telling you, it's a jungle out there. LOL

Jana
Old Jul 31, 2006, 9:38 PM   #19

Thank you, Jana for your reply.

However, to be very honest there is not one sony camera that can fill your beach needs. You either have to move to a disposable camera or the W-10 to get a solution, that we last for any length of time.

MT/Sarah