Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:08 AM   #1

I don't have many demands on a new camera but the few I have should narrow it down considerably:

The first and most important thing I'm looking for is a rugged and nearly indestructible housing that can handle some beach sand and salt spray. Optional equipment like a marine package would definitely fit this requirement.

Secondly, it has to have optical image stabilization, 5mp or higher resolution and minimum of 3x optical zoom.

I'm looking for good picture quality at higher ISO (600+) and action or sports mode (think chasing after a toddler!).

It would be great if I could get a camera that takes AA batteries, but that's not a requirement.

Size does not matter. I'm not looking for the flattest and smallest, but camera should fit in one hand comfortably. Other things that don't really matter to me are in-camera editing, movie mode(s) or direct printing features as I have never made use of any of these.

Thank you for taking your time brainstorming for me. It's hugely appreciated.

Jana

Jana1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2006, 2:32 PM   #2

In Steve's Best Cameras list:
All-Weather Cameras
http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html(Olympus is obviously the leader of weatherproof cameras)
Olympus Stylus Digital 710

Pentax Optio W10

Olympus Stylus Digital 810

Olympus Stylus Digital 500

Olympus Stylus Digital 600

Cheers!

http://under200camz.blogspot.com

http://newcamz.blogspot.com

NewCamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 3:14 PM   #3

Jana-

Those are really tough requirements. Off the cuff, I can only think of two cameras that might possibly get close. They would be the Pentax W-10 and the Olympus 720SW, and neither has IS.

BTW marine housings are expensive and not small enough to fit in one hand, unless you have a huge hand.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 4:01 PM   #4

I just went to look at the Pentax Optio W10. I am suprised. I did not even know this camera existed. The whole time I was looking at Sony and Canon and considered purchasing a waterproof case with my camera. I guess it is worth looking outside the box sometimes.

The only downside to the Pentax is that it does not have IS. I really really need it. I have two kids, one of them a not even 2-year-old. So I'll be taking action photos while wresteling with diaper bags or zippy cups for years to come. LOL In other words, I cannot commit to this camera although I like it quite well.

Sarah, the size is not a big deal. I don't mind something that's a bit bigger if it fits the other requirements. I know marine housings are expensive, but so are the cameras. I just lost a 6-month old Sony due to sand getting into the telescoping lense. I don't want to buy cameras every other month; I want to get one that is right, and I don't mind spending a bit more.

Jana

PS: I don't acutally want to go diving with my camera. I just need the peace of mind that it is ok to take to the beach and can take the occational splash of water and sand.

PSPS: I also don't mind waiting a bit longer (say another 3-4 montsh) to see what is in the works and comming out soon. Does anybody have a gut feeling about upcoming releases?

Old Jul 30, 2006, 4:26 PM   #5

Jana-

I raised 8 children in the era when you did not have a diaper service or disposable diapers. I washed diapers for 10 years. So I understand.

As much as I wish that I could magically make your ideal/dream camera appear, there just are no IS equipped cameras that fall into your specs, that I know of right now. The Pentax A-10 and the Olympus 720SW come the closest. Neither camera has a lens that extends. The non extending lens and a well secured camera case are the best way to protect from accidents such as you have had recently.

Was your dead Sony IS equipped?

MT/Sarah

Old Jul 30, 2006, 4:37 PM   #6

No, Sarah, my old camera did not have IS. I cannot tell you how many times I looked at a blurred picture of my cute baby and could not help but cry. The new camera HAS to be usable in all light conditions and with monkeys on both arms. :lol:

I just looked at the Stylus 710. The review mentions an optional water tight case. It's also really afordable. Would that be a contender?

Jana
Old Jul 30, 2006, 4:40 PM   #7

Updated info

Jana-

I am at fault. I got my letters confused among the Pentax Cameras. The A-10 does have 8mp, an extending lensand it has IS.

The W-10 is the waterproof camera with the non extending lens, and no IS.

As I mentioned an accessory camera case that is well sealed (yes, they do exist) to protect your camera is a good investment. The Olympus 720 is a pretty good camera, and yes, I also checked and it also has a marine case.

But please keep in mind that you just inserted another tough to impossiblerequirement: to take non blurry photos with a child on each arm under any lighting conditions.

Hon, a camera needs light to take a photo. The only camera that I can think of that would even approach that requirement is the Fuji F-30. Give it a look.

Here is a sample photo from the Fuji F-30 taken inside our great room, in the auto mode, without flash, handheld. That's my husband. Thus far the Pentax A-10 has IS, but cannot take handheld non blurry photos in low light levels. The F-30 on the other hand does not have IS, but can take photosin light levels that would be impossible for the Pentax A-10. I hope that I am helping.

MT/Sarah

Attached Images

Old Jul 30, 2006, 5:20 PM   #8

I have a curiousity question. Do you live at the beach and/or go there frequently?

M
melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 5:28 PM   #9

Melt-

Is that question for me (MT) or for Jana? I honestly made the assumption that she was an ocassional beach visitor. However, you know what happens when you assume!? So, I may be at fault and I think that yours is an excellent question.

How about it, Jana? Do you live at or near the beach, so that you are there on a very regular basis?

BTW I also answered vis a vis the types of IS.

MT/Sarah
Old Jul 30, 2006, 5:32 PM   #10

I.S. will NOT help with a moving subject.

I.S. will NOT reduce noise in high ISO settings.

A 'rugged and indestructable' digital camera does not exist.

(the 'Optio' battery compartment 'door' leaves much to be desired - this is hard to describe, you must see it for yourself)

I have been using a fuji s7000, finepix 3800, KM 7D (carefully) at the beach and have not had any problems to date.

Your requirements re: blur and lo light are difficult to meet on their own!

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote