Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 30, 2006, 4:23 PM   #11

I went to Best Buy just now and saw the Canon's. The only sell the Casio online. I really like that 3" screen, but a freind of mine the other day said that the most important feature you need to get is image stabilizer. Wold you say that if that is true, the Canon SD700 would be the best choice out there, and better than any of the Casio's?

Ken
ken6217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 4:30 PM   #12

The Canon SD700 IS is probably what I would buy in your scenario. I'm looking for something similar (a pocket camera) and I plan to buy the SD600 because it's cheaper, but if money was no object, I would get the Canon SD700 IS.

Also, you don't seem to be a viewfinder user, so the Casio models might be an option. The Ex-z1000 looks nice in the fact that it has 10.1MP, which is AMAZING quality for a point and shoot.

I was looking at the Exilm models until I realized they had no viewfinders. To me that is an unforgiveable flaw. However, I would probably take the SD700 in your case, for the Image Stablization.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 4:35 PM   #13

morag3-

The Casio Z-120 has an opticalviewfinder, as do several other Casio models. I own the Z-120.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 4:39 PM   #14

Why has the Fuji F30 been left out of the conversation. It seems like it is highly regarded on this forum? Does this have IS?

Ken
Old Jul 30, 2006, 5:02 PM   #15

Ken-

The Fuji F-30 is a great camera but it does not have IS. Just check the reviews at www.steves-digicams.com, www.dpreview.com, and www.dcresource.com.

I own the F-30 camera and really like it. Here is a sample photos taken inside, in auto mode, without flash, and handheld.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Jul 30, 2006, 5:45 PM   #16

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Ken-

The Fuji F-30 is a great camera but it does not have IS. Just check the reviews at http://www.steves-digicams.com, http://www.dpreview.com, and http://www.dcresource.com.

I own the F-30 camera and really like it. Here is a sample photos taken inside, in auto mode, without flash, and handheld.

MT/Sarah
Quote:
Hi I have seen your other posts regarding the F30. So based on your positive feelings on the F30, would you still pick that o rthe Canon SD700?
Quote:
Ken
Old Jul 30, 2006, 6:01 PM   #17

ken-

Please understand I am a professioal photographer and a Digital Camera Instructor. I can get good to great photos out of just about any camera, and I have the support equipment to make it happen.

I have no idea of your experience level, your hand steadiness, or your photographic background. That info has never been shared in our exchange. Therefore, it is essentially impossible to make the judgement that the Canon SD-700 or the Fuji F-30 would be better for you. I hope that you will really appreciate the situation in which I find myself.

So there is no lack of helpfulness on my part, but after checking both cameras that is a decision only you can make.

BTW, this can become a more friendly place if when you are answering somebody's post and they have signed their name to it, address them by they name. They are making the effort and taking their time to help you.

MT/Sarah
Old Jul 30, 2006, 6:22 PM   #18

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
ken-

Please understand I am a professioal photographer and a Digital Camera Instructor. I can get good to great photos out of just about any camera, and I have the support equipment to make it happen.

I have no idea of your experience level, your hand steadiness, or your photographic background. That info has never been shared in our exchange. Therefore, it is essentially impossible to make the judgement that the Canon SD-700 or the Fuji F-30 would be better for you. I hope that you will really appreciate the situation in which I find myself.

So there is no lack of helpfulness on my part, but after checking both cameras that is a decision only you can make.

BTW, this can become a more friendly place if when you are answering somebody's post and they have signed their name to it, address them by they name. They are making the effort and taking their time to help you.

MT/Sarah
Quote:
MT/Sarah,
Quote:
Sorry about that. I appreciate yours and everyone else's comments. My experience level with diital is non existant. I have a Nikon F100 SLR film camera and I know my way around that. I do not know if I will ever take the time to do any "touching up" after so I will have to rely on a good camera. I will still take my Nikon on vacation etc but want to bring a digital along and then also use it for more picture taking since the Nikon with the lenses are cumbersome and heavy. I don't know if that points me to one camera or another. I have two more questions. Is an optical viewfinder a good idea. The other question has to do with image stabilization. This is probably a dumb question but, if a film camera doesn't need IS, why does a digital? Also my comment about using this camera for a once in a while quick pic on a bike, I don't want to paint myself into a corner of needing IS as this will be a small % of the time using it. Does this change the need for IS?
Quote:
Thanks for the help. Sorry if I am asking so many questions.
Quote:
Thanks- Ken
Quote:
Old Jul 30, 2006, 6:38 PM   #19

mtbclimber....how do you like the z120??
aspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 6:46 PM   #20

Hey Ken

A digital camera doesn't *need* IS in the sense that you can't take a good pic w/o it. IS is simply there as a technology improvement.

The need for IS is independent of film or digital - IS compensates for the slight hand movements a person has while taking a picture. If IS could have been done on a film camera 30 years ago, it would have been. There have been gazillions of blurry film photos that could have been precluded by IS.

BTW, when properly used, IS does NOT reduce image quality. It is merely another tool to be used in select situations when the photo possibility requires it.

When you say you want good quality pictures in dark situations, do you mean with or without a flash? If without, then the Fuji F30 is, from what I have read, by far your best choice currently. I would think that good low-light performance trumps image stabilization, as you already seem to be thinking.

I don't believe the Casio Z1000 would "be a little much" for you. Casios have great LCD screens, and while 10mp is probably overkill in a p&s category - one would fear too much noise with that many pixels from a tiny sensor - Casio seems to have done a fine job with it. My only concern would be that some models have issues with LCD durability.

The Canon SD (Elph) series are great cameras, but are not as good as the aforementioned cameras in low-light, non-flash situations.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote