Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 31, 2006, 8:49 PM   #41

Ken, I honestly believe that you can't go wrong with either camera. I think I posted to someone once to think of the difference between the SD700 and the F30 this way: maybe the Canon's outdoor photo quality is 10% better than the Fuji's, but the Fuji is way more than twice as good in low-light/indoor light situations as the Canon.

And now, Impreza brings up the Panasonic FX-01S, which takes "wider" pictures that I imagine might be more suitable for landscape photography. I know nothing about that camera, however.

So many choices, it's very easy to get "paralysis by analysis".
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:17 AM   #42

Hi Chris,

I have a couple of questions. What is the definition of low light? I mean when taking outside and inside. How would you characterize low light. How "bad" is the Canon in low light? Is it plain poor?

Thanks- Ken
ken6217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:44 AM   #43

Ohh, a very wide angle is for so much more than just landscapes. It will save you any time you have to get close to a subject yet capture the whole picture.

For example I was visiting Hollywood Boulevard, CAfor the first time and tried to get an encompasing photo of the Chinese theater. It just couldn't be done with the 38mm - I had to cross to theother side road and try from there. No such problems with a 28mm.

Another common situation is taking photos of room scenes and indoor group shots in small rooms (think parties!). With a standard lens so much of the scene gets cropped.

Then there comes landscapes..
impreza276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:32 AM   #44
jq

Thanks for all the great posts on Ken's post. I am looking for similar. Every small camera I find has something the reviewers don't like. Not good in low light, too much noise at 400 or above, not good in bright sun!!! I want to keep it simple. I want a small, one hand holdable camera with some small grip feature, 2.5 lcd, 6+ pixel, some manual features for the 10% of the time I might use it, good auto white balance, and image quality in all kinds of light. Am I asking too much. Is that what everyone is saying?

I have been leaning towards A540, SD600, Casio 750-1000, Panasonic LX1 or LZ5. I would pay little extra for stablization and slightly more than 3x zoom if available in small package. Have D-50 with 18-200VR Nikor which I am happy. But I need something to hold onto for that small camera when I don't want to carry the rest. So keep the responses coming before Ken buys something!!! I need one fast too or I will go to Wash DC without any back up camera and wait for new ones to come out before next big show.
jq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:19 PM   #45

ken6217 wrote:
Quote:
I have a couple of questions. What is the definition of low light? I mean when taking outside and inside. How would you characterize low light. How "bad" is the Canon in low light? Is it plain poor?
Low light is a bit difficult to quantify via text...Maybe if we take a simple example:

You're at dinner with friends. The lighting is perfect (to your eyes), but certainly not outdoors. Maybe even dimmed down a bit. You pull your camera out to take a shot (on full auto). Snap the picture, and...FLASH!

The camera flashed because it felt it needed more light for the proper exposure.

Now...because flash on most PnS's is fairly limited (maybe 10-15 ft. max), your friends may turn out great in the picture! But, depending on the background (how far away it is)...it will likely be much dimmer. There are some occasions where you'll have a completely dark background with a couple faces lit up in the middle! :lol:

If you up the ISO, it will allow you to get a better picture (more of the background will show up). If the ISO can be pumped up high enough, you may even be able to do without using the flash!!

Now, the SD700 (from what I've seen/read) can provide good quality up to ISO200. The F30, on the other hand, can produce good quality through ISO400 and decent up to ISO1600.

Many people say you can use ISO3200 in a pinch (I suppose you could), but I find it too unpleasant to look at...even when resized for the web. The Canon's ISO800 (it's max) is ok, but is kind of ugly (IMO) too...ie. I wouldn't use it.

The thing is, I never know when I'll like a shot so much, that I'll want to turn it into a poster (or large sized print). Because of this, I always try to use the smallest ISO value possible. With the Canon, you don't haveas many choices as you do withthe F30.

You could stick to low ISO and flash photography indoors. But, you're risking losing the background in your image.

All this information isn't to say the F30 is the best camera out there...it can just do things (in low light) most other PnS's can't do to the same degree. Many people are ok with this. This is how PnS's have been for ages and ages...well, forever!

I've had an S200 for many years. And the image quality on that little thing was superb! But, I never adjusted the ISO. I simply dealt with the flash photography I was given. Now, that I've purchased a new compact (the F30, thank you very much :-)), I wanted something that could do a little more. Image quality means a lot to me. But, so do options/features. And the F30 had something no other PnS had.

I know what IS can do and I love it! But, I never needed it with my S200. I stick flash when it's necessary. I up the ISO to help provide afuller background. If my (relatively) steady hands can't deal with camera shake at the short zoom ranges these compacts provide, then I should be turning the flash on anyways! :-)

P.S. Raising ISO can also help in sports photography by allowing the camera to reduce exposure times (ie. stop the action!).
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:49 PM   #46

It is a tough choice out there, for a budget limit of $250 I ended up buying the Sony Cybershot DSC-W50 for my sister after reading all the steve's reviews, especially low light performance (limited to Best Buy stores). For $300 and above the choices widen a lot.

Here is a good review on the Panasonic. It has a good 3.6x zoom (28mm - 100mm equiv.) and the use of optical stabilization in low light looks very promising. The reviewer complains about noise levels though I don't think I'd be bothered for the kind of pictures I take

Panasonic FX-01 Test dcresource

Panasonic FX-01 Test ephotozine

impreza276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:37 PM   #47

This is quite a good thread. I will tell you while I still haven't made the decision yet. I have seen post after post about how great the F30 is in low light conditions, but no ne has really said in their posts (except Chris with the 10% comment) how good the F30 is outside under normal lit conditions. Even in reviews it is the same way. is the F30 as good or just about as good the SD700 under those conditions?

Ken
ken6217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 4:47 PM   #48

The two main things are probably:

1) The SD700 has better saturated and natural colors

2) SD700 will have less purple fringing (if it appears)
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 5:50 PM   #49

Please let me help. Here is a Fuji F-30 shot. It looks pretty good to me.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 5:59 PM   #50

Hello. I'm new here, but long time steves browser. This thread was just what I needed since I was also deciding between the F30 and the SD700 IS. I was leaning more towards the F30, but now I'm definitely confirmed in getting the F30.

Most cameras do just about the same outdoors since there is usually plenty of light, and both of these cameras seem to be excellent outdoors. But the F30 really stands out (by far) for indoor/low light shot conditions. Taking a look are all the pictures I've taken in the past, a good number of pics were from parties, weddings, dinners, etc., all low light conditions.

Bottomline is I'd rather 10% less than excellent outdoors if that meant 100% better for indoors.

Just my 2 cents.

wincheng is offline   Reply With Quote