Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:19 PM   #51

Exactly... and also swgod98's posts are very good ones.

Ken, when reading my posts, please keep in mind that I have an A620, which is a lesser camera than the Fuji F30 and the Canon SD700. My A620 has much in common with the SD700 - noise reduction and image processing algorithms, lens (I think) - but they use different sensors. In other words, all my opinions regarding the SD700 are educated guesses and suppositions bases on my camera and what I have read on sites like this. I have also attempted to make a reasonable protraction based on the assumption that the SD700 has a somewhat better sensor than my A620.

MT/Sarah has graced us with a sample photo from her F30. To quote her: "it looks pretty good to me." There may be the occasional outside pic where the SD700 is a tad better. I base this on my own confidence in my camera (and therefore, the SD700) and what I have read regarding both the SD700 and the Fuji F30. If I were taking near-exclusively outdoor pics, I would choose the Canon SD700. I admit to a slight bias toward Canon.

What I do not like about the Fuji: NP95 battery, xd memory card, and I have seen several Fuji p&s pics that have weird "flat" spots in them, where it looks like adjacent portions of the photo are focused differently, though they should not be. Also, my brother has an older Fuji 4mp camera (I don't remember which model) and it stinks.

My issues with the Fuji battery and memory format are purely subjective.

Since I take both indoor and outdoor pics, if I were given $300 today to buy a camera, I would get the Fuji F30. If someone were to tell me I could not get that, I would happily buy the SD700 if it were that cheap.

wincheng wrote:
Quote:
Hello. I'm new here, but long time steves browser. This thread was just what I needed since I was also deciding between the F30 and the SD700 IS. I was leaning more towards the F30, but now I'm definitely confirmed in getting the F30.

Most cameras do just about the same outdoors since there is usually plenty of light, and both of these cameras seem to be excellent outdoors. But the F30 really stands out (by far) for indoor/low light shot conditions. Taking a look are all the pictures I've taken in the past, a good number of pics were from parties, weddings, dinners, etc., all low light conditions.

Bottomline is I'd rather 10% less than excellent outdoors if that meant 100% better for indoors.

Just my 2 cents.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:39 PM   #52

Thanks to everyone for their comments, especially Sarah and Chris for the time they have spent with me. Tomorrow is the day. My feeling is that when I walk in the door, I will be flipping a coin, but it certainly seems like the sentiment is for the F30. I think it will be a game time decision. By the way, has anyone looked at the review of both cameras in Megapixel.net. They really give the edge to the Canon. I was curious of your opnions.

This really has been a great thread, and I'm sure it will help a lot of people (especially Fuji and Canon).

Stay tuned fpr my next thread in a few days: " How do I use the camera"? LOL.

Ken

ken6217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 12:48 AM   #53

ken6217 wrote:
Quote:
By the way, has anyone looked at the review of both cameras in Megapixel.net. They really give the edge to the Canon. I was curious of your opnions.
What I find interesting is the "functionality" columns are rated equally (overall). With the Fuji's only weakness in their software. That's something I could care less about (don't use), so Fuji wins for me!

In the Photo Quality column, I think the Canon wins also. Not by much, I think it's really nit picking. But, I do feel the SD700 has better color saturation.That's something that can be adjusted in software, though(or maybe setting the F30 to chrome mode will do the same).

I'll tell you one thing, I nearly tossed a coin in my decision as well. But, I have no regrets in my choice! I am near certain you will have no regrets too, no matter what side of the coin lands face up! :lol:
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:56 AM   #54

Ken, you better "reward" us by posting some neat-o pics with the new camera...:|

swgod98 wrote:
Quote:
ken6217 wrote:
Quote:
By the way, has anyone looked at the review of both cameras in Megapixel.net. They really give the edge to the Canon. I was curious of your opnions.
What I find interesting is the "functionality" columns are rated equally (overall). With the Fuji's only weakness in their software. That's something I could care less about (don't use), so Fuji wins for me!

In the Photo Quality column, I think the Canon wins also. Not by much, I think it's really nit picking. But, I do feel the SD700 has better color saturation.That's something that can be adjusted in software, though (or maybe setting the F30 to chrome mode will do the same).

I'll tell you one thing, I nearly tossed a coin in my decision as well. But, I have no regrets in my choice! I am near certain you will have no regrets too, no matter what side of the coin lands face up! :lol:
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote