Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:20 PM   #1

Hi all,

I want to buy a digital camera this week. I have a good film SLR that I use and also have cd's made from them when I want to have digital pictures. However i want to get a good digital camera that is compact and has pretty easy featurs and is a good all around camera that has good quality pictures in light and dark situations. Also a viewfinder of 2 1/2" is important as I need glasses otherwise.

I heard good things about the Casio Exlim models but then heard negaitives as well. It also seems like the Fuji F30 gets good talk on the net. What about the Sony's. They have so many models though. Any other brands/models?

Anyway, I know this seems like a pretty open quesyin but i appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Ken

ken6217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:35 PM   #2

Try this: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../ex-z1000.html
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:53 PM   #3

i think that that z1000 might be a little much for him....in anycase, if you do not mind having a 2" screnn then i would go witht the Casio EX-z120 IF you do mind the 2" screen...then go for the Canon SD600 (2.5inch screen 6MP) or you could also try the CASIO EX-S600

HERE is a list of ones you could look at:

Casio EX-S600
Canon SD600
Casio EX-Z120 (2" screen)

aspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:01 PM   #4

I would only add that image stablization might be helpful. I have a Canon SD500 which I really like - does everything but does not have IS and it would have been helpful in a number of instances on several of our last trips....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:04 PM   #5

very true IS can be very helpful but it might affect the image quality
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:16 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the reviews on the Canon and it looks good. I like the SD630 with the 3" screen. So are u guys saying that this is better the Sony's and the Fuji and Casio? I heard good things about the Casio but it seems like there are a lot of negative comments as well.

I did see that the Canon didn't have image stabilization. Is that important? I wenty on a motorcycle trip thru the mountains of Va and W. Va. He had a Casio (a lower priced model) and he was able to take quick pics while riding. The pics on the lcd at the back of the camera looked ok. Could I also take pics while moving with the Canon as well?

Thanks,

Ken
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:21 PM   #7

yes you could...but if there is no IS then they would not turn out too great...Casio has great picture quality BUT the negative part of the comments comes from the customer service and the ocasional manufacturing defects...i would go for the SD-600 if you dont mind paying that much for it...
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:31 PM   #8

Ken-

Just my 2 cents worth. I was one of those folks who initially said IS does not matter when you are using 4X optical zoom or less. However, since saying that, I now have had to eat my own words. After using the KM 5D and 7D which has the IS built into the camera, and then the Panasonic TZ-1, I can clearly see and personally verify there were instances where I got the shots that I honestly thought were throw aways, when I was taking the photos. So, I now say, without any hesitation, that IS is a val7uable tool especially in low light level shooting situations, where you have low shutter speeds.

So the Canon SD-700 IS might be a very viable choice for you, if you like the camera and the price. So too the Panasonic FX01, LZ3, LZ5, LX2 and the TZ-1 might be contenders if you can deal with the noise potential. Only you can make that decision.

Within the non IS equipped choices, there are many choices, including the Casio Z-1000, and the Z series in general. But the Canon A-620 has a huge legion of supporters as well, so there are lots of choices out there.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 2:39 PM   #9

So many choices.

So is the IS important? You mentioned the 620. What about the 630? Also once u go up the the 700, then the camera starts to get bigger thoug. I will have to take a look in a store though. By the way, how to any of the Sony models compare>

Ken
Old Jul 30, 2006, 3:10 PM   #10

Ken-

IMHO IS is important, but keep in mind that is just me. Getting the right fit with a camera is real work. As to the Sony cameras, take read in the reviews.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote