Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:45 AM   #1

i need a tiny camera for going out. it needs to be super thin so i can slip it in a suit pocket and have it not show/bulge/pull down my suit.

is the sony t series my only option? i really rather get a camera that takes SD (since i have so many extra SD cards from other cameras).

again, my main priority is size and then of course picture quality.

Thanks!! =)
DReborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2006, 3:46 PM   #2

no ideas?

is there any reason to wait for the holiday season? i know something is ALWAYS coming out but is there anything we know about for sure that is gonna be worth waiting a few months for?
Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:07 PM   #3

The Casio EX-S600 is probably the thinnest camera available today that gives good image quality. I bought the previous model (S500) for my wife over 6 months ago and can thoroughly recommend it. I looked at Sony T models, Fuji, Nikon, and Samsung before purchase. I have a Casio EX-P600 which was praised in most reviews for picture quality and the S500 is pretty close. I bought a leather tobacco pouch as a case in order to keep it pocketable, and this is the camera we take out most. The only negative (compared to the P600 and an older Panasonic Z1 superzoom) is that there is no optical viewfinder.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:24 PM   #4

i would agree with eyedeer and go for the casio s600
aspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:08 PM   #5

thanks guys! s600 it is =)
Old Aug 5, 2006, 8:00 AM   #6

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...Conclusion.htm

"Dislikes
-Terrible image quality
- Low-resolution LCD
- Vulnerable telescoping lens
- Software is limited, with an odd interface
- Lack of manual control "

Quote:
If the color and size were wrapped around a good imaging system, if the camera were tough enough to go where it can fit, and if it were easy to hold securely, we'd be enthusiastic. As it stands, there is clearly a market for tiny cameras; however, they generally come with some compromises. Unfortunately, for the S600, one of them is image quality.
Who buys a Casio camera anyway?

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 9:33 AM   #7

Casio cameras have some of the nicest LCDs and also stylish, well-built housings. That's why some people buy them. Casio also has a few good cameras.

But yeah, the S600 may be a bit of a loser. OTOH, there are going to be pretty significant compromises in an ultra-ultra compact, so maybe there's nothing better...

I'd get the Sony DSC-T30.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:32 PM   #8

isn't the t30 going to "much" thicker than the casio? is the t30 also worth more than double the casio's price?

personally, the price isn't a large factor for me: size and picture quality are first and foremost. guess i have to wait for a t30 review... =)
Old Aug 5, 2006, 1:13 PM   #9

I don't know the size comparison between the two, but here's a review of the T30:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_t30-review/

DReborn wrote:
Quote:
isn't the t30 going to "much" thicker than the casio? is the t30 also worth more than double the casio's price?

personally, the price isn't a large factor for me: size and picture quality are first and foremost. guess i have to wait for a t30 review... =)
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 4:06 PM   #10

well i guess i will have to see both of them in person and see if the size diff is worth it.

seems like the t30 is a much better camera overall.