Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:11 AM   #11

rjseeney,

Actually I wasn't interested in the live preview feature. I read the review of the E-330 at dpreview and there was just so much shortcomings. :blah:Furthermore, I have to start getting used to TTL viewfinders since I will most likely be encountering them in future (Often)! :-)

I also want to thank you for explaining mirror lock up andadvising me about the Nikon and Canon systems (That I will have a clearer path in future). I will be seeing about it.

Actually photography is more of the photographer than the camera/equipments. (Though they play an important role as well).

As for the feature issue, I cannot help but marvel at the wide array of features the E-500 dSLR has. :shock:Normally this type of features are found on higher end dSLRs only.So I am contemplating whether to get it or not. (It's small, neat, and compact).

Code:
The E-500's dust-reduction system is a great feature for a first-time DSLR user. Less time spent poking around the sensor. The E-500 (to me) has a good "feel". My only regrets (and the reason I settled on an E-1 instead) were 1) the viewfinder, which I considered to be a bit tiny for my tastes (feel like my eye had to search around it). The shooting info is at the right side in the viewfinder; I prefer it at the bottom, 2) no PC contact for external flash; only the hot shoe (I use studio strobes & the PC contact is nice to have) and 3) no accessory power grip (a minor issue to some, but I shoot long sessions so I need it).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Let me say that none of the above is a reason not to buy; they're very subjective (but look for yourself). On the plus side you have great scene modes, a large, bright LCD screen (I don't think live-view in an SLR is a big deal unless you need to make odd-angle shots or use an underwater housing) and of course that dust reduction.

No camera is without it's own unique strengths and weaknesses. There were many criticisms of the E-1 but it was the camera to suit MY needs. Perhaps the E-500 will suit yours.
I agree with you. Generally you are going to face dust problem in the long run if you change lens often. Something that I might just be doing in future...

Is the E-500's TTL Pentaprism viewfinder really that bad? It might be small, but howwas the "quality"?

I like the Hyper Crystal LCD and it is a big plus for me since previewing images is one big point in the dSLR camera (After capturing the image).

In fact, all the cameras in this thread are with their shortcomings, but I am looking looking and looking. :-?

Thanks for the feedbacks and everyone should be free to compare the cameras at will! (I am personally not in a rush).

Regards.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 1:37 PM   #12

Didn't mean to indicate the E-500 viewfinder was "bad", just different from what I was used to (info on the right, etc). Remember, my eyes may be quite different than yours or someone else's. You get used to certain things, like whenI switch from a car with a stick to one with an automatic. I usually tromp down on the brake once or twice before remembering there's no clutch pedal there!

I never try to sway anyone intoa brand just because I own one. In my film daysI was a Nikon man, and stayed there because I added accessories that fit through the line. With digital I started on a clean slate and chose what looked & felt right while meeting my needs.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:40 PM   #13

I went with a Pentax (*ist DL, I've heard it still has a decent viewfinder) as I already had some Pentax lenses, saw a great price, liked the people in the Pentax forum, liked how the body controls are set up, and didnt want to be like everybody else and use one of the two big names. And as you have noticed, all the DSLRs today are pretty good. You really cant go wrong with any one of them.
SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:42 PM   #14

I think that door handles and headlight switches should be on the same spot in every car...

stowaway7 wrote:
Quote:
Didn't mean to indicate the E-500 viewfinder was "bad", just different from what I was used to (info on the right, etc). Remember, my eyes may be quite different than yours or someone else's. You get used to certain things, like whenI switch from a car with a stick to one with an automatic. I usually tromp down on the brake once or twice before remembering there's no clutch pedal there!

I never try to sway anyone intoa brand just because I own one. In my film daysI was a Nikon man, and stayed there because I added accessories that fit through the line. With digital I started on a clean slate and chose what looked & felt right while meeting my needs.
SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote